F800GS AF-XIED

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ebrabaek, Nov 11, 2013.

1. lawe

lawe lawe

Oddometer:
    I took the first ride of the year today. And does that AF-XIED make a difference! :clap. I know it's supposed to tune in after a some time, but right from start I feel a big difference. Now I have no problem running under 2K rpm in second gear without touching the clutch. I't really a lot smoother now from low revs and up.
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastisk.....:clap:clap
  3. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your successful install.

Since the AF-XIED works by shifting Closed Loop lambda, the first thing improved is the part of the fuel map where we do most of our riding (chart below). You can see that most riding is below 20% throttle. Quickly, the Lambda Control Factors get developed, and then finally the Long Term trims that affect the entire fuel map.

If you have a stock bike, and don't reset the BMSK, things start to improve right away. The more steady speeds you run in varied gears, the faster all the adaptations happen.

R1200GS throttle angles and rpms from a local and highway trip. Each point is a report by the BMSK to the GS-911.
    [​IMG]
  4. lawe

lawe lawe

Oddometer:
    Forgot to say : I've got stock headers and muffler and a booster plug. But as I did say: Great improwment in local revs from start. :-)

Skickat från min Nexus 4 via Tapatalk
  5. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Well ... I've ridden it about 200Km in lots of different conditions. I didn't like the mid range on the road at first, but its smoothed out a lot and I think it's smoother than it was now. I have a unifilter, a Leo Vince Carbon muffler and a booster plug which I left attached. I also have a 17 tooth front sprocket to make it a bit better cruising on the road.

I'm really impressed ... There is almost no snatchy throttle, it pulls beautifully from low revs and it now has that beautiful "Big Adventure Twin" thing happening where even at light throttle openings and lower revs serious things effortlessly happen. It used to feel "geared up" but now except when you want to go really slow off road it doesn't feel over geared at all. I gave another F800 rider a go and he said it felt more powerful and smoother in the delivery than his. Fuel economy has decreased but it hasn't finished adapting and I think I was probably going 20Km/hr faster most of the time so its probably not comparable. :evil

It's seriously impressive on a fast gravel road ... it just feels effortless and I think there is actually more traction because you can be more precise with the throttle without the snatchiness. I think I will have to adjust the suspension before I take it out again! It doesn't feel like it is really powerful or anything, but when I looked at the speedo I was usually surprised by what it said!

So ... so far it is a big solid "Buy" from me. :clap
  6. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is fantastic to hear. :clap:clap
    Cheers.
  7. KarTek

KarTek Boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen,

I read through this thread, hitting the highlights and also tried the thread search with no luck. I was wondering if this device works on the F650GS version since it's essentially the same engine or is the fuel map. etc... different enough for it not to work.

Thanks!
  8. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    It will work on any of the parallel twins.
  9. KarTek

KarTek Boy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Thanks for the quick reply! :thumb
  10. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The controller is the same for all BMW motorcycles but the adapter cables vary.

I just helped Steve at Nightrider to spec the cable for the 650 and the first unit has been shipped to another member here. You should be able to get one from Beemerboneyard or Nightrider.
  11. MATT0404

MATT0404 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed the AF-XIED on my F800GS this afternoon. Really simple install. It took me about an hour total for a really clean install. Most of the time was spent looking for the best way to route the wiring and mount the unit in an easily accessible location.

I got it wired up and loosely mounted. I started right at setting 8. The bike fired right up and I allowed it to idle for a while. Once warm, I noticed the idle was much smoother. I used to be able to watch the RPM needle dance ever so slightly but now it's much smoother.

I got every thing zip tied, cinched down, and buttoned up and headed out for a test ride. First gear is much smoother off idle than before. This was the main reason for me buying this unit. Low speed off road in first gear could get real hairy with the snatchy throttle. The AF-XIED offered an immediate improvement here.

All in all the bike is much smoother. Engine vibes are reduced throughout the RPM band and the bike sounds healthier (?). I don't know if that's the best word to describe it but this is the way the bike should have come from the factory. I've only put 15 miles on it with the AF-XIED so these are very early impressions.

Cliff Notes:
    1. Buy it
    2. Install it
    3. Profit
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bingo...... Glad you like it.:freaky
  13. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Erling, how ya been?

Terry
  14. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been great Terry. Still riding strong, but have spend the last 3 weeks in Tucson,AZ with the aircraft. Done mid next week.... we hope, and all back to normal. Looks like GA have had a bit of rain lately.... all good with ya....????:freaky
  15. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    No complaints my friend. Gonna be a hot summer for us but probably not relative to your locale.

Be well and don't run out of altitude, air speed and ideas at the same time.

Terry
  16. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha..... you too my friend.:freaky
  17. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good write of your install and impressions. The R1100RT/GS came from the factory with richer fueling like you now have when it was delivered without a catalytic converter to European customers (until they changed their regs too). So you're right, it now runs the way the factory would have preferred.
  18. NCD

NCD Dirty Hairy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am still thrilled with my XIED. Slow speed first gear riding is so much easier now. And its like someone deadened my handlebars there is so much vibration gone from the engine.
  19. YrianX

YrianX Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here :D

It's been a new bike since I installed the AF-XIED about a month ago or so now.

Got it on setting 8 and loving it.

snatchiness = gone
    low down power = A lot better
    Commuting in heavy traffic= enjoyable now Vs. a pain before
    Technincal Off-road = Great compared to before
    Overall= a lot more power and a lot smoother. All in all a much better riding experience.:clap:clap:clap
  20. kapenagary

kapenagary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just received my AF-XIED this afternoon. It's going into my 2013 F800GSA. I put a Booster Plug in almost immediately after getting the bike because of the first gear jerkiness on slow technical roads. The BP worked and smoothed things out. But after reading this thread I think I can improve things even more.

I'm doing a suspension upgrade at the same time so it may be a few days before I get to check things out. I'm looking forward to seeing what the AF-XIED will do for my bike.

Gary