Convert to S or Buy/Trade for S

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by drdfblackm, Mar 24, 2014.

1. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looks like it is going to cost around $1000-1500 to convert my 950A to an S model. I am a tall guy and my Adventure is not tall enough for me. So are my figures correct or is it more or less $$ to convert a regular 2005.5 950 Adventure to an S. Would it just make more sense to sell/trade it for an S model??

Just wondering what the consensus of the group is?:ear
  2. cdndog

cdndog lurked more,posted less

Oddometer:
    Since you already know the bike you have and you'd be getting the taller suspension valved to your weight, riding etc. I'd say it's a no brainer. The new to you bike might still need to be valved to your liking and you don't really know it's history. My 2 cents.
  3. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a conversion kit for it.

http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-non-abs-adventure-r-spec-suspension-kit

You can do the forks for yourself, it's easy. And take the shock to a service, and they'll fit the parts for a couple 100 bucks. You also need to get a new side & centerstand. So yes, all in all it will sum around $1200.

The best is if you can find someone who would swap theirs with you - I was lucky enough to find someone, and the whole thing cost me 200 bucks. Oh, and for $1000, IMO its not a good mod. I know it looks sexier, but isn't really worth that amount of money.
  4. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
  5. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have your bike raised and tuned for your weight and riding style.
    Best upgrade I ever did, I used SuperPlush.
  6. drdfblackm

drdfblackm VeeFeer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would love to trade a short guy for his S suspension but that has not happened as of yet. I mean my rear shock was completely rebuilt like 1000 miles ago and the forks were rebuilt just 0...yes 0 miles ago!!!

Superplush is the way to go!!!! Just trying to decide if I want to have them build the suspension which adds cost or see if I can find S model and have them refresh them.

Thank you for the input, keep it coming!
  7. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you get your suspension tuned for your weight and riding style, raising it is just only a 300-400$ extra.

1000-1200$ total but you get a bike not only raised but set up for yourself.

Alex at Konflict did mine.