Missing screw on engine case?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by the cavalier, Jun 23, 2013.

1. the cavalier

the cavalier adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello!

Once again I am reaching out to the wonderfull wisdom of this forum, thanks to all who make this place so great....

I was inspecting my bike last week because a new rattle has developed in my engine sound. Looking at the left hand side of the bike at the rear piston I noticed a hole that alarmed me. I am assuming there is a screw missing. But upon studying the parts fitch [cylinder head rear] there is not a part that goes into this 'hole'. Its where the cylinder housing attaches down to the engine case. On the parts fitch the hole is shown on the bottom of the diagram, centered. Right above where the gasket gets seated. There is a dotted line showing where the oil pressure sensor lives that goes right past this hole that i am talking about.

Maybe I am being paranoid here. the thing is i keep this bike on the street and I assume dirt and gunk is going to get in this hole and thus my rear piston. The hole goes quite deep.

I also noticed that my oil level is way down.

I posted a picture to flicker but I couldn't figure out how to get it to show up directly in this post though...here is the link....the hole in question is on the top right 1/4 of the picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97925980@N02/9120421952/

This forum has saved me a few times already. I am hugely appreciative. I hope to be able to answer other peoples questions as I become more familiar with the bike.

Thanks
  2. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Here you go!

What missing bolt? Cant see any missing, hole on the cylinder head? Drainhole from spark plug?

EDIT: read your text better is the missing bolt location hidden some by the sprocket guard?

/Johan
  3. the cavalier

the cavalier adventurer

Oddometer:
    The hole I am talking about is visible... That small dark hole in the top left area of the picture. There are no other bolts around it.

Right under the bar of the frame. At the top right of the picture. This is the spot where the idle adjustor is usually tied too

Spark plug Drainage hole?! I'll look into that.
  4. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Each cylinder has a spot on it that looks like that. My engine:

[​IMG]
  5. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    I love those muffin tins... What did your wife say when she discovered them in your garage?
  6. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 That's actually in a local Ducati shop. That's how they organize things coming out of an engine -- one muffin tin for each valve. It works! :D This is at the end of the rebuild, so it was just spare parts at that point.
  7. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not just a spark plug drain- when one wishes to remove the spark plug lead, a blast of compressed air from a rubber tipped nozzle works great.

Nothing missing, supposed to be empty.
  8. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    I'm not married... so maybe I'll steal that technique, lol! I have parts trays, but with two in the garage sometimes things get confusing!

*Edit: Yes, nothing wrong with that hole there. It's normal, :)