1150GS Tail Electrics

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ElMartillo, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ElMartillo

ElMartillo I See Faces...

Oddometer:
    Doing some work to the bike today, when I took off the tailsection I noticed a factory plug zip-tied to the rear subframe. Wondering if anyone can ID this. I've run power to the rear of the bike to charge batteries in my top case, but I'll utilize this plug if it's for accessory power.

Thanks in advance. :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Dan Cãta

Dan Cãta Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That plug there is for a CO2 potentiometer. Your bike does not have it, since it has a lambda probe, AKA oxygen sensor. The harnesses are all the same, so some plugs remain unused.

Dan.
  3. ElMartillo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dan, good info! :thumbup
  4. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m Kiwi

Oddometer:
    On my 1150 that is where the shut off or turn on valve is for the vacuum for the charcoal canister.
  5. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy...

Oddometer:
    +1

I sealed mine off with electrical tap and zip tied it out of the way.
  6. Ken Fritz

Ken Fritz Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the plug for the charcoal cannister solenoid. You must not have the cannister. It looks as though the solenoid is missing for sure. I know - I removed all that crap from my 1150GS yesterday to fit something else in place of the cannister.
  7. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Probably this. For sure if it's a 2-wire connector.

Regarding the use of the connector as an accessory power source. I think the connector is supplied switched 12V through one wire when the key is on, and the other wire is a switched ground from the Motronic ECU to operate the solenoid at the proper time. That means you should be able to use the switched 12V wire to power a phone charger or what not. If it is switched 12V you can easily pull a few amps from that gauge wire over 2 meters.

p.s.: I would verify the wiring instead of just from memory, but I don't have the pdf wiring diagram handy. I bet someone on here will check that for you. Hey you guys. Who has the factory 1150 wiring diagram handy?

<BR>
  8. ElMartillo

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all for the good info, I can't read a wiring diagram but I'll put my multimeter on it to see what it does. I've already run a fused wire direct from the battery, but if I can utilize this power it will be less wires and a little tidier. I wonder if I could find a plug to fit it?

Don't suppose you'd sell me the matching plug that you removed so I can have a cleaner connection point? :)

Thanks, gentlemen! :thumbup