The Video Series - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Fron

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GrizzLee, Feb 7, 2014.

1. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:

You betcha...

The Dalton is next... :deal
  2. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Thank you for the peak... didn't wanna side track your RR but figured I'd give a short explan about it. Should do a separate story someday on just that night. T'was a rush.
  3. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    The Dalton Dance - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier

Preamble.... Sorry it has been so long between the episodes. Sidetracked by work and other life interruptions. Many asked if I was going to finish posting the videos in the series. The answer is yes.

If you have ridden the Dalton Highway, you may very well be envious of our trip as we had 4 days of absolutely wonderful weather. Warm, dry weather and perfect road conditions. In fact, it was too hot, as you will see. But we never complained, because it could have easily been rainy and slippery. As a father, I was happy that the conditions were what they were... PERFECT!!

If you have never ridden the Dalton and plan to, don't be fooled by this video account. The road can be a fickle beast at best.

With that said.....

//////////////
    <?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we travel the Dalton Highway (also known as the Haul Road) from Fairbanks Alaska to the edge of the continent at Prudhoe Bay.</o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>In the far northern reaches of the United States, there is a highway, which directly parallels an oil pipeline for 500 miles to the Arctic Ocean. It is one of the most isolated roads in the United States. </o:p>
    <o:p>The road is very primitive in places. Riding a motorcycle in this land carries significant risk. It has been stated that approximately 1 in 50 motorcycle riders on the Dalton will crash. The nearest medical facilities are in Fairbanks and Deadhorse, 500 miles apart. We’ve read that anyone embarking on a journey on the Dalton is encouraged to bring survival gear and a stiff upper lip. </o:p>
    <o:p>This is where I took my son, who at 17 years old, took on an adventure to ride more 6000 miles with me.
    </o:p>
    <o:p>The Dalton is considered, by many, to be the epitome of motorcycle adventure. To ride it with your son is even more special. While my son and I have had many adventures in the north, starting with him paddling 500 miles in his own kayak on the Yukon River at 11 years of age and trekking through trail less areas in the bush through glaciers and bear infested country, this was to be the final chapter of his childhood. In a few months he will turn 18, he is a young man who will have to find his own path and live his own adventures through adulthood. The Dalton, would be a final test for the boy and the last adventure for dad with his boy. From this time forward, we will share adventures together as men. </o:p>
    <o:p><IFRAME height=480 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bZi8HNBU97c" frameBorder=0 width=853 allowfullscreen></IFRAME></o:p>
    <o:p>Enjoy this Episode of our trip as we try and capture the magic of riding in the most northern road in the United States, the Dalton Highway.
    </o:p>
  4. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again, another great video from Grizzlee! I worked on the pipeline in 75 and 76 north of the Brooks mountain range and did a fair amount of cross country skiing there. Your video brought back many good memories. Thank you again. I’m planning a trip there soon as I can muster up time off from work on my GS. Sure would be nice to have the weather you guys had! Lucky I’d say, lol.
  5. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Cool,
    Glad you liked it. I bet x-country skiing was a dream up there.

I still don' t understand how one can work up there with all the bugs out on the tundra. Coldfoot wasn't too bad, but once we exited the Brooks Range onto the open tundra... man oh man they were bad. I think I'd rather work in the cold than deal with them critters.
  6. Mcgee

Oddometer:
    I was on the north slope, in the winter. Later I took a road trip above the arctic circle in the spring and camped on the Yukon river, the mosquitoes were very, very bad. Did you guys wear head netting when camping on your trip? Even with a tent, it was crazy with the buggers.
  7. GSgal

GSgal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really nicely done. I felt transported.

Thanks for the time and effort you put into this video. It's a great legacy for you and Johann, and a treat for the rest of us.

:thumb
  8. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    We wore head nets. However, we camped at Marion creek on the dalton and the heat w/low humidity kept the critters at bay. When we exited the brooks range, however, holy smoke they were bad. One reason why there are very few pics of the tundra. We'd stop and the critters would work their way into our helmets.

We have camped in bad places in the yukon, especially along the yukon river. The humidity seems to be the key factor in their severity. There were some wickedly bad bugs on those trips. What we found that helped, is camping on gravel bars with a slight breeze.
  9. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. It is a lot of effort to put these together. It is my hope that my son can look back in several years and realize all the cool things we did together. I still can't believe we've done so many adventures together. It has been a magical journey watching my son grow up and travel with me. Not everyone has the opportunity or a child with the spirit for adventure to do these types of adventures. I also have to thank his mother. She has always supported the expeditions, and has never once questioned me or the sanity or safety of what we've done. I've been fortunate.

And yet, One would think that I'd be satisfied, however, I still dream of the north. There is still so much to do and see up there... I'm not done. Probably never will be:wink:

I recall the drive home from one of our father-son kayak treks in BC where my son asked "papa, if I ever have son, will you take him camping with you?". My son was 9 at the time, and I remember getting pretty choked up about that. What more could a dad ever hope to hear from his son. Yeah, I think I have done ok by him... I hope so. My next milestone is to share that first beer with him. :freaky.

And if he ever has kids....you can bet I will be the first in line to take them on an adventure. :y0!
    I hope his wife will be supportive. Maybe even join us. That would be awesome!!
  10. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Folks...

Was adding the finishing touches to the next video whe my laptop motherboard just went belly up. It was less than 8 mos old. I was told I have to send it in for repair/replacement. Also told I may lose my data on the HD... which means, I loose my video file templates. :muutt:ddog

I am going to pull the drive and see if I can backup everything... I have my fingers crossed. In any event, I suspect that the last 2 videos in the series will be delayed by some time,,, so enjoy the Dalton Dance the others some more :1drink

Hang tight...

In the mean time, here is the series to date... in chronological order....

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Blug88mFXMw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8a7fayHFUv4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gHBrDryzU0Y" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DyNjSMHH46w" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pXVK2-byyxw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/T63j75vWN7w" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>
    <iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bZi8HNBU97c" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Coming soon...
    - Riding the Top of the World
    - The Long Lonesome Ride Home

Yeah, we did that together... as father and son. I am still amazed at the adventure.

Thanks again for riding along... Watch with a good beer, fine wine and in full stereo.
  11. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    Whew what a hiatus that was. Computer was fixed shipped and then promptly destroyed by FedEx. After filing a claim and such, the rebuilt computer got lost in transit. A couple of months later, here I am with a re-built system... had to re-install all my apps, software etc.. and create new video templates. Oh, and a new machine Id, means I lost my MS licenses. What a PIA!!

In any event, I want to finish this series up. So here it goes the next episode my friends...

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Riding the Top of the World - Our Life Behind Bars: Father & Son Doing Time in The Northern Frontier

Things really relaxed once we finished the Dalton Highway. It appeared to us that hard part of the ride was over. We were now heading south, heading home. We looked at our schedule and thought we could ride the Top of The World highway and then head over to Haines and ferry over to Skagway. Then begin our trek south toward home along the Alaska Highway and enjoy the rockies and the hot springs at Liard..

Unfortunately, this was not to be. While we took everything mother nature could throw at us, Yukon Johann’s trip would end abruptly. Watch this episode to see what happens next.

Thanks for riding with us...

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eQ0S9IsTJJg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  12. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    The Long Lonesome Ride Home

The final episode...

Enjoy this Episode of our trip as I take a long lonesome ride home. A ride I had to make after Yukon Johann crashed his bike and had to fly home.

Johann&#8217;s trip was over and dad has some time to think. From Dawson City it was over 2000 miles to our home in Seattle. Along the way it rained the first few days. Then the sun came out and the road got a little brighter.

Join me as I make a soul searching journey home to be re-united with my son. I wrestled with my decisions, guilt and loneliness. The inclimate weather didn&#8217;t help. In the end it all works out well.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Dx6oui1UOEs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

See the entire series (start to end) here:
    http://youtu.be/Blug88mFXMw?list=PL0xedfQCyRy6cVZonjs-4VnQyEPfVZSlM

Thanks for riding along with us.

We now have some memories to take with us in the form of these videos.
  13. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Ready Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking the time to put these videos together, they have been very enjoyable. Excellent job.

As a father of two young children it's inspirational to someday dream of a trip such as this one.

It's unfortunate Yukon Johan had to exit early but thankfully he is alright. Keep riding and keep up the great stories.

LT
  14. GtiKyle

GtiKyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, great ride and i loved the videos. Well done.

You seem like a very calm, collected and caring person. I would love to ride with you sometime.

Cheers.
  15. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    A big thank you sir. I am glad you like them.

To add some more clarity here.
    I should say something that wasn't mentioned in any of the videos. I was just coming off the tail end of a very emotional divorce when Johann and I took off. He was angry at mom for the things she did. We were married 20 years and it was hard ... still is, trying to understand why mom did what she did to jeopardize the family (long story). It was to be sort of a healing trip for both of us. With his accident, well that just added to my emotional state which was at an all time low already.

My personal advice for you and your children... don't wait. Take them out now on adventures. Groom them. When the time comes, they will be ready and prepared. Johann and I have been up north many times before (I think I mentioned that he paddled 500 miles on the Yukon River when he was 11 in his own Kayak). That was a grand time. 4 years later we did a major trek up in Kluane park.. no trails, just GPS points, a compass and a map. It was and remains, the hardest thing either one of us have done, both physically and mentally. However, both of those trips were the best the things we ever did together. We still talk about them.

Calm..? collected...? caring... ?

What a complement, THANKS!! :kumbaya

I see you are in Tacoma... I live north of you in Sammamish. Anytime you want to ride... lemme know. I just looked through your Tigers in the Olympics report. WOW. I didn't know there were trails like that over there for bikes. I'd love to know more.

BTW: My son and I are taking off to ride to Bella Coola over Labor Day for 9 days.. all back country.. like my solo trip last year. He has a new (used, but new to him) F650GS we turned into a Dakar with parts from his totaled bike. Stay tuned... :D
  16. Mcgee

Oddometer:
    Thank you again Grizzlee! What a fantastic journey with your son, even though it was cut a little short for Yukon Johann. At least he’s alright. I am looking forward to your next journey to Bella Coola as I read your report from last year. You are a great inspiration for me! Great video’s and music! Thanks again!
  17. GrizzLee

Oddometer:
    You are very welcome...

It will be awhile before another trip report.

I have some other projects to tidy up.... Moto trip to the Sierra's in April (Bristlecone pine forest, I-395, Bishop, Mono Lake, John Day, Bode, etc..) and then document my moto trip to Colorado trip in May (Lolo Pass, Big Hole Montana, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Rockies, etc..). (BTW: Both of these moto trips were combined with business travel :evil) Not to mention a solo kayak expedition to central B.C. in July. Then another moto trip with my son to do the southern part of the WABDR between Mt St Helens and Mt Adams. Gosh, and here I was feeling I hadn't done anything this year.:eek1

I'll be busy putting together those videos and documenting those trips ... hopefully launching our webpage sometime this fall if the stars align. I still have that daytime job to do as well.. the one that pays for all the fun. It seems to get in the way of everything else :(:
    Someday I have to finish up the book I started. The problem is, I keep adding chapters :wink:

BTW: I think you mentioned riding north. Did you do that this year?

Thanks.
  18. Mcgee

Oddometer:
    No, haven’t ridden any trips really. Just locally around the Olympic Peninsula and a lot of Hood Canal. Other responsibilities and not enough time off from the ole work stuff slow me down a bit. It won’t be to long before I get the time off to go riding!