Can a Harley make it to Magadan?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, Apr 27, 2011.

1. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> And down to the lake, which turned out to be salt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a trench with animal parts in it, and a huge rams head pointing to the lake. When I looked closer, it was a graveyard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They make bricks from mud for building houses
    [​IMG]

And someone is getting a new shitter!
    [​IMG]
  2. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> This truck showed up, with missionaries. A pastor from Dushanbe, & 3 Russians. Nice guys. They brought school supplies, toys & bibles to the village kids. It was nice to see the kids getting things, and most of them were pretty amazed. Coloring books, crayons, etc. I gave em some $ to help out with the next trip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next morning, I head to the KRG border.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And with a heavy heart, I leave Tajikistan. But only for now, as I will return!
    It’s the most awesome place I have ever been to. Beautiful scenery, the people are wonderful, and, well, ok, the roads could use a little work…..
    DR790 and ChadADV like this.
  3. Mr. Magoo

Mr. Magoo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! Happy Travels ... :1drink
  4. Svane-DK

Svane-DK Viking

Oddometer:
    I would love to do something like that on my trusted Cb400 four.... Can't kill that machine in any other way!

Have a nice trip, and give me a heads-up if you someday find yourself in the great region of Scandinavia ;)
  5. mcgo104

mcgo104 Habitual Linestepper

Oddometer:
    Great freakin' thread. Roll Tide!:clap
  6. Dirtbauer

Dirtbauer KB

Oddometer:
    Great photos Doug Thanks for sharing.
  7. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, I'm SO in, plus now I've got to find the other RR's, damn you! Best of luck, ride safe, enjoy it, and don't forget the chics....
    I mean pix!:evil:clap:clap
  8. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you figured out what's happening with your electrics?
    I'm impressed with your patience at the borders. While getting hassled at a checkpoint in Mexico I lost it and called a soldier an asshole and quickly had a .45 held to my head.
  9. Mr Pif

Mr Pif Adventurer

Oddometer:

:eek1,
    not for granny BMW but for the guy with the little Suzuki!
    RESPECT!!!

for u Doug i have no words.every time u post,it's like i'm travelling.
    TOTALLY RESPECT
  10. racki

racki Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Could you strap it to your bag and charge battery while riding?
  11. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doug

Great report! Once again you nailed it.

I am impressed by your equanimity with the second set of electrical problems. I can only imagine the feeling when you see the first low voltage reading. I don't think I would have handled it as well.I suppose practice helps.

Tom
  12. xcgates

xcgates Whaaa?

Oddometer:
    Personally, I would have issued at least a couple choice words and there would have been a chance of flying tools. :lol3
  13. bamarider

bamarider Adventure n00b

Oddometer:
    Doug, Unbelievable trip prep with the XLGS and with the trip. Just found this and had to jump to the end to see where you are. I will be spending time that should be spent on something more productive playing catch-up.

MOST AWESOME !!!!

Philip
  14. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Are you able to mount the solar charger on top of your bags and charge the battery as you are riding?

Thanks for the great updates, I don't know how you find the energy and time to do it. Awesome.
  15. Beater

Beater The Bavarian Butcher

Oddometer:
    For those of you playing the 'Home Version' ... put his into Google Maps:

It's very close to the 'U Shaped' building that Doug posted ...

Keep 'em coming Doug! Awesome!!!!
  16. bighaasfly

bighaasfly Something to shoot for

Oddometer:
    Of course he's had practice! He rides Harleys doesn't he?! :p
  17. 65bmwr50

65bmwr50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is right dead center of an impact (meteor) crater!

Lovin' the report!
  18. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    Yo, GuzziDouglas: this sonovabitch looks like Uncle Sam!

Hey, the narration really adds a dimension much missed when we have only the picture.
    PS: your photo's are the tits! Spectacular in every respect. Keep it up!

The closer you get to God, the more difficult it is to light your fag. From this you learn nothing?

Well the dude don't exactly have to skip the board meeting, you know . . .
  19. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But you know what?-----The place was clean---no wind strewn garbage to be seen anywhere----no Walmart bags---Nothing. I am very impressed by that. I wonder if Hank Jr.'s Country Boy could survive (there). Don't think I could.
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    yeah, we gotta bring some progress to them heathens, teach them how to properly trash the place !!

a couple mcdonalds and taco bells would be a good start. :deal

:hide