Denver Denizens-What's the deal with E470???

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by AdvRonski, Dec 4, 2011.

1. wzd1a

wzd1a Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quasi "Gubbermint" is always looking for creative solutions - sounds like a perfect "public-private partnership" .....:clap
  2. chacha

chacha CAT Herder

Oddometer:
    When did this happen? I have been living next to the north end of Tower road for years now and the only red light that is totally useless from 120th Ave down to Colfax is the one between the Canopy parking and USA parking. Where are the others? They are certainly not at every intersection unless you are talking about Tower road south of Mississippi. That part of Tower is more residential.

The speed limit on Tower is 45 and I'm gonna say the average speed is more like 55 everyday. What did it use to be anyone know?

I probably live closer to an E-470 exit than most here and we hardly ever use it. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times either my Wife or I have used the road in the past 5 years. I can see people from out of town getting duped if they are using a GPS in a rental but if they just change the settings to avoid toll roads that wouldn't be a problem either.
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Who is pissing and moaning, just stated how I feel. Oh and we have transponders :*sip* I still say its a scam and that is my right as an American :p
  4. wzd1a

wzd1a Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have a permit to prove this?
  5. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    The e470 is a private road, however, if you go around a toll(very easy with a bike) the state patrol will give you a ticket for toll evasion. How wild is that? What if you put a toll up at your driveway entrance and someone went around? Could you call the state patrol to give them a ticket?

Anyway, it's odd. I did scope out all the toll booths. At night, on a bike it would be trivial to go around with no issues.
  6. wzd1a

wzd1a Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    The forgotten highway I call it. The writing was on the wall when they created the e470.

Fatfingering on tapatalk with my groovy iphone of doom.
  8. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    forgotten?

you ever drive that section E-W during rush hour? :huh

an added toll lane couldn't hurt.....except while they're building it :lol3
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I used E-470 once coming from Fort Collins to the airport to see how it would be. Yes it saved some time but wow the bill for that was crazy expensive considering how short of a drive it was. It thought it was a billing mistake at 1st.

I'm from the N.E., so i know toll roads, but that charge was a nuts. I kept thinking wow no one is using this road and now I know why. With a toll raise on top of that I'm never using that road ever again, unless it's pure rush hour in Denver and I need to get to the airport in a hurry. The 270 east cutoff to I-70 works just fine to Pena.
  10. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    Forgotten in the sense that it is in bad shape. I avoid it at all cost and right now, do not commute during rush hour.

I don't care if they toll it...as I am a heavy user of the current E-470. Toll it all and drop the gas tax. Woo hoo!
  11. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    not sure what you mean by "bad shape"....the road surface is fine, it's just a parking lot certain hours of the day depending on which way you're going.

instead of a toll lane, I wouldn't mind seeing an elevated lane that goes all the way around with no off-ramps, for thru traffic.
  12. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:

Well, I am comparing it to the toll road. You know the spot where it transitions from toll to public? That's my standard. The reality is, it's a cash cow if tolled just as the e-470 is. However, it will push a fair amount of traffic off road if fully tolled onto side streets just like Gun Club is during commute times.

Maybe they fixed it, but there was a bad spot located on the on-ramp between I-25N and C-470 EB. Then again, I-25 is no picnic either. Much of the "free"way around here is in rough shape, at least to me.
    modette likes this.
  13. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:
    It's going to get better...

"Managed lanes" (PC term for Toll roads) coming to a roadway near you...

US 36 Boulder- Denver
    C-470

You know that "third lane" they are boring through the Twin Tunnels outside of Idaho Springs? The one that will have all the eastbound I-70 routed on the frontage road AROUND the twin tunnels from say end of March through December?

Yep. Toll Lane.
  14. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Bad Shape!!! What road around CO is in Bad Shape?

Go to the East Coast or Michigan if you think the roads around Colorado are in poor shape. Remember we have freeze/thaw cycles in Colorado which is hard on roadways.
  15. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toll roads are BS. Especially when they add lights and lower speed limits on adjacent roads to force traffic onto the toll roads, then turn around and sell the toll roads to private, for profit enterprises. Just like E470.

Another great move by our scum bag politicians.
  16. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    And the occasional chunk from the passing plow.
  17. chacha

chacha CAT Herder

Oddometer:

Toll roads suck I agree, but where are the added lights and lower speed limits people keep bringing up. I live close to the airport (120th and Tower) and use Tower road quite often when I'm on my off time. The only place that should not have a stop light IMHO is the one between canopy parking and Usa parking. As far as speed limits Tower is 45 mph the whole way and if you are going that fast you will get passed by everyone except tourists in rental cars.

There is nothing forcing me to take E470.
    modette likes this.