CCCOFVT Dual Sport Ride, June 23rd, 2013 Brookline, VT

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Nice_Rumble, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

CCCofVT Rider Participation Decals.

The 5th annual CCCOFVT Newfane Ride will be starting from Herbie and Travis Howe's house in Brookline, VT just outside Newfane, BBQ Cookout Saturday night, bon fire, camping in field behind house, 8-9:00 signup/strict sound test of 94 db will be enforced, last bike out 9:30, No loud bikes or you will be riding somewhere else that day. We had one very loud Suzuki DR at the Johnson ride on June 2 and will not be allowed at this event. This is a highly sensitive area for trail riding as we all know the problems we had with the Red Fox Turkey Run fiasco back in 2004 where the local sheriff was able to cancel the Pathfinders event. Let's not have a repeat of this situation. All it takes is a few local residents to call and complain. No racing numbers on bikes, route sheets (bring route sheet holder), GPS tracks for the Northern Loop available, memberships available at sign up, You must be a member of CCCOFVT to participate in the ride ($25.00 membership fee), non members can join at the start, arrowed from Rt 30 out of Brattleboro and Townshend, approximately 120 miles. ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) is mandatory, dress for the crash not the ride.

Previous years ride report:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592313

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New section goes by the old Red Fox start location at Mcdermotts Salvage Yard in Bartonsville. Pics from 1978.

[​IMG]

On the way to the riders meeting.

[​IMG]

Directions to start:

Directions from North:

I-91 to exit 3 East to rte 5
    2.0 miles south to rte 30 North
    11.6 miles North on rte 30 to Radway Hill Rd. on right at flea market (Look for White and Red MSR arrow)
    .3 miles East on Radway Hill Rd. to Grassy Brook Rd. (across bridge)
    .3 miles stay right on Grassy Brook Rd.
    .6 miles to 185 Grassy Brook Rd. (white house on left before bridge)

Please follow the directions, your GPS will put you about 1/2 mile short.

Directions from South:

I-91 to exit 2 Brattleboro to rte 9 east (Western Ave)
    1.0 mile east to Cedar St on Left
    1.0 mile take sharp left on rte 30 North
    12.4 miles North on rte 30 to Radway Hill Rd. on right at flea market (Look for White and Red MSR arrow)
    .3 miles East on Radway Hill Rd. to Grassy Brook Rd. (across bridge)
    .3 miles stay right on Grassy Brook Rd.
    .6 miles to 185 Grassy Brook Rd. (white house on left before bridge)
  2. SpenserpVT

SpenserpVT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke with that DRZ riding jackass and it turns out he is a pretty reasonable guy. He plans on swapping that obnoxious full Yosh exhaust for the stock pipe when riding offroad. He does not at all want to jeopardize riding opportunities for his two-wheeled friends, and will install the quieter exhaust to avoid doing so.
    Even though the chicks dig it. :p
  3. asfault

asfault Non-normative

Oddometer:
    Cool! Can we get the tracks ahead of time or do we need to wait until we get there?
  4. Dave Flanders

Dave Flanders Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just read the posts on the DRZ guy. I too have a DRZ with a Q4 muffler that my local Pro Cycle shop installed along with rejetting to get it to run right.
    He claims that the Q4 meets all AMA and known sound restrictions however I am concerned if it meets CCC requirements.
  5. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    If in doubt, put the OEM "QUIET" muffler back on the bike and you'll have nothing to worry about. Don't drive all the way up there only to find out your bikes too loud. Don't be "THAT" guy. The DRZ runs just fine with the OEM exhaust system.
  6. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    I think "Most" of my stuff is dried out from last weekend. :deal

looking forward to this weekend.

CCC VT rides are always have a mixes of stuff (terrain) and great bunch of guys
  7. asfault

asfault Non-normative

Oddometer:
    And gals :D
  8. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:

yes and girls, there was a super cute one on the last ride on her own bike, riding with her Husband/boyfriend.

I thought that was very cool.

I was very jealous, as mine, hates all my bikes :deal
  9. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    For you Noobs, don't forget your route sheet holder, Scotch tape and scissors as you'll need to build your route sheet.
  10. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    All packed, see yah bright and early.
  11. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    have a great ride!
  12. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    We did have a great ride Jon. Why didn't you join us?

A few riders joined us Saturday night for the annual BBQ, Bonfire and camping.
    and the Potato Launcher was again put to good use as is tradition. Phil Brown joined us again and is becoming a CCC regular.

[​IMG]

Wayne Longe, Secretary of CCC, always comes down the night before to partake of the festivities.

[​IMG]

Perfect weather as the rain stayed to the north and we were treated at night with a Super Moon.

[​IMG]

Phil Brown knows how to travel in style with his toy hauler complete with AC.

[​IMG]

Herbie is totally into KTM's now with his new Jeep.

[​IMG]

A guy came up to him once and asked if KTM was now into the 4 wheel business. No joke.

[​IMG]

Travis doesn't need any fancy bike cover. Maybe it's his way of foiling any potential thieves thinking it's only a rat bike.

[​IMG]

The next morning Herbie was serving up coffee, pancakes and sausage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riders began trickling in around 7:30 and began signing up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wayne was handling sign up and new members.

[​IMG]

Jim Partin had GPS tracks of the North Loop available for those who wanted the electronic version of the route.

[​IMG]

Russ from the Berkshire Trail Riders is becoming a regular.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stu from CT joined us for the first time this year and was fun to ride with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The father and son team KTM of Herbie and Travis. Hopefully Herbie's wrist will be fully healed soon so he can join us.

[​IMG]

After the riders meeting riders began heading out onto the course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike and Gina are regulars each year. It was nice to see more women riders this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stu is originally from South Africa and finds the riding in Vermont quite challenging compared to what he is used to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christian on his venerable DRZ...

[​IMG]

and his riding partner Bob on his Sherpa. Together with Dave, who was not here this year, make up the NY Contingent.

[​IMG]

Once out on the course the fun level increased. What a day for a ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The end of the South Loop on Brookline Rd. Riders had a choice of riding the 2 miles back to the start for a cookout lunch or head onto the North Loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim's stoked with his new Husky TE 310.

[​IMG]

In the hills above the lunch stop down in Grafton.

[​IMG]

The Grafton Country Store was our lunch stop.

[​IMG]

Freshly made sandwiches and cold drink hit the spot.

[​IMG]

Grafton is one of those quintessential Vermont villages with friendly locals and classic New England architecture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Travis, Christian and and unknown rider on the XR.

[​IMG]

Back out on the course in search of mud, rocks and roots.

[​IMG]

The backside of the first hero section after the long climb up the ledges. This section will give you a good workout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim coming down from the ledges.

[​IMG]

We were waiting for him as we took a by-pass.

[​IMG]

Back at the finish hungry riders quickly ate up any hot dogs that Herbie had leftover before hitting the road for home.

[​IMG]

Phil Brown pulling out with his big rig headed back to MA. He will return next year as I'm sure will many others. Next CCC ride is a 2-Day on the 27th and 28th of July out of Johnson, VT.

[​IMG]

Hugh thanks to Herbie and Travis for allowing once again to stage out of their property and keeping everyone well fed. Pete Scalza and Ken Rackowski of Pilgrim Sands Trail Riders also deserve recognition for the time and energy spent pre-riding the course and checking on milage as well as printing the route sheets. 35 riders turned out to celebrate summer with a casual ride through scenic southern Vermont. Thanks to all for being responsible riders.
  13. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    I had a great ride and a great time. The guys I rode with were the perfect group for my abilities. Hot dogs and chips are the food of champions.:D They really hit the spot after the ride. Thanks so much to everyone involved in making this ride happen. And a special thanks to Herb and Travis for hosting.

I brought my camera and was having so much fun that I only took one picture at the riders meeting. Completely forgot about it after that.

Thanks for the report Skip
  14. Green Mtn Rider

Green Mtn Rider Husky Rider

Oddometer:
    I also want to thank Herb, Travis, Pete, Ken & Skip for all they do for our sport Alot of work goes into making a ride possible. Look foreward to next years ride. Watch for post on next 2 day ride & BBQ out of Johnson
  15. URNUTS

URNUTS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very much wanted to join you guys.
    Had to go to a sweet little girl's birthday party!
    She's 5 and thinks I'm 'da bomb! :)
    I've noticed that the ladies don't want much to do with me much after this age range so.................
    Glad you all had fun.
  16. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding ride report Skip. Thanks for all of the hard work it takes to pull off a successful ride like this.:norton. Believe me, I don't take the ability to ride with such a great group of people through such a beautiful part of our country for granted. We are extremely fortunate!:clap:clap
  17. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Great report Skip ! Nice club and event you fellas have.
  18. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be "high praise" coming from you Frank. Bring your crew up next year.
  19. OutDoorMoto

OutDoorMoto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Skip for all your work! The loop was great with nice scenic back country and fun trails!! :D