Tricepilot's México: Off-Road Through the Sierra Madre From Durango to Mazatlán

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Tricepilot, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hola kitesurfer

Sometime today I'll be sending you a PM to answer this. I enjoy talking about ride plans for México.

When you get a more defined timeline, you should keep ADV inmate Sjoerd Bakker in mind.

Sjoerd Bakker himself here at Casona Tricepilot:

[​IMG]

Sjoerd is the king of México travel and knows more about the hiways and byways of the country than anyone on this board. He also has more miles down there than anyone on this board.

There are a huge number of variables that go into your question, but I'll tell you this extreme:

If you just wanted to cross the border at Laredo and get to Mazatlán, and you didn't want to hear my "take your time in México" speech, you could do it in 2 days easy if you haul the mail on the cuotas.
  2. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Of course, Emiliano was the original king of México routing

[​IMG]
  3. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is good to be back in good old US of A. We try to plan our summer vacation around being in the US during 4th of July. This year we are up in Ashland Wisconsin for some bass fishing on Lake Superior.

I'm a bit of a GPS geek. I like to use the GPS in conjunction with Google Earth to help plan the routes in the Sierra and after the ride I like to see where I actually went. I just recently figured out how to make these videos in Google Earth Professional. These videos were made using a one week trial version of GE professional. I'm not ready to throw down $400 USD on the full license just yet. The frame in these videos is following the as built track that I recorded. The user can play around with the distance from the earth, the camera angle, the speed and the resolution and some other stuff.

<IFRAME height=360 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2612141868_S5Zp8r7?width=640&height=360&albumId=30321563&albumKey=6Hg3nW" frameBorder=0 width=640 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

<IFRAME height=360 src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2614353575_nMfM4gG?width=640&height=360&albumId=30321563&albumKey=6Hg3nW" frameBorder=0 width=640 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

[​IMG]

The videos are divided into Day 1 and Day 2 of the ride.

The drop down into the Upper Rio Prsidio River Valley in the afternoon of Day 1 was my favorite part of the ride. It took us about 3 hours of downhill switchbacks to get down there and another 2.5 to get back up. It is a very isolated area. Very little human presence down there but a gold mine that has been closed since the early 1970s. Not even a tiendita to by some chips or a juice.

Enjoy. I'm heading out on the lake for the day.
  4. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope not on that trip in my RR. The bike had street tires on it during that first trip. However, on my second trip, I went up to Santo Madero again and spied several ruins with my binos. These ruins had dirt roads leading to them. These were easy to locate on my topo map from Santo Madero, so I shot an azimuth to them from there, found the dirt roads when I got to the low ground and had no problem getting to these smaller ruins on the bike with the dual tires. For the first trip the dirt road to the hacienda was in pretty good condition, IMO, heading south until reaching that ejido shack. Nobody home. From there went west on foot because things turned to crap. I had asked at El Farol about getting a horse, they told me they could arrange for that, but in the end I got to the hacienda by other means (PM'ing the details...).
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    That's just plain cool.
  6. pdedse

pdedse paraelamigosincero

Oddometer:
    Very nice, gives one a feel for the overall ride.
  7. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    You will love Baja on the KTM 500, but September could be a little hot :knary. November through March are my favorite months. :D
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I'm pounding the miles on my road bike (bicycle) in 100 degree Texas heat getting ready for RAGBRAI which starts in 2 weeks and the Hotter 'n Hell which is next month.

Road cycling that past year in as many events as I could find in the San Antonio area is a big part of the credit I give to being in decent shape to do the Ruta.

If you (speaking to the readership here) are cruising through your 40s and certainly if you are in your 50s and you are not in shape DO NOT attempt the Ruta or it will eat you for lunch! This is NOT a lazy tour through the Sierra!

Living in Texas, heat doesn't bother me anymore, nor does humidity. Much.

The timing isn't my choice, the full run to Cabo is with Tim Morton and his bunch, and they do that run twice a year. I was going to do a paved Baja "recon", but with three big dirt rides under my belt I decided to complete a quad and do Baja all off-road.
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Good job man! I hotlinked the vids/graphs to the opening post :freaky

Hey, since you're fishing up north, remember the old trick: stop by the store and get some filets and put them in your cooler - show the fam what an angler your are when you get home from what would otherwise have been an empty handed day :lol3
  10. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Yes and even better if you watched SR's videos while sitting on a jackhammer! :lol3
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    As an epilogue to the RR I'll be posting up photos of this whole subject, even though it occured first before we took off into the dirt.

The hacienda was asleep before Hollywood got there, and now has returned to a somewhat eternal state of slumber.

Some funny things happened there (dog attack! run away!) but I'll get to it later.

There is a very small ADV club I would think that has made the trek to find this famous filming location - which is out in the middle of No-wheres-ville Coahuila.

Got your PM, alls I can say is HIGH FIVE for you! :freaky:lol3
  12. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only you and Schizz know that little bit of trivia :D
  13. Powershouse

Powershouse Flower Sniffer

Oddometer:
    SR welcome to the north country! If you're in Ashland head over to the Big Top for Great Big Sea this weekend for a fun show.
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Go Full Screen

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GIOdiMdrh5o" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Go Full Screen

Walter Bishop, the overall event organizer, hires a pretty good videographer to capture the complete event.

This is last year's video.

Walter, Hector, and Miguel, 3 great guys I met on this year's ride, are prominent in the video.

It appears they didn't have the good fortune with the overall weather pattern that we had this year. But you got to run through what nature gives you in the Sierra Madre!

Quite the ride

Quite the party

And our 2013 edition was no different :freaky

If you watch this video (and the one coming out soon for our ride last week) and you love dirt riding, you'll have the itch to be part of the 2014 edition of this ride!
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

From the 2012 video, this is Miguel, good friend of SR's and now one of my good buds, is a businessman and ATV/moto mechanic in Durango.

He's one of the event leads and rode sweep on this year's ride, getting in near midnight both on Friday and Saturday nights.

He and SR came up to San Antonio so SR could pick up a bunch of moto related gear he had sent to my house, and to put the hitch carrier on SR's vehicle so they could get SR's new WR450 on the back and take it home to México.

Miguel, SR, I, Schizzman, and a bunch of other ADV inmates then went to the track in Austin for the first MotoGP at Circuit of the Americas, won by Marc Marquez.

Interesting Miguel Fact: He and his cousin built a gyrocopter as kids, when their dads found out, they took it apart because the dads were convinced the kids would stop at nothing and kill themselves in the process of getting it off the ground. :freaky :lol3
  16. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Powerehouse. I had to Google that, but I figured it out. I may check that out Saturday night. We went out fishing today with a good buddy of mine on lake Superior and caught several big (3-5 pound) small mouth bass. Lots of fun! Hijack over.

I do love that video from last years ride. It's so well done it's just fun and entertaining to watch! The Producer/Editor Luis Del Campo did a great job! It sounded like he is going to make a video for this years event as well?

I have been trying for 2 days to load up another Google Earth video but I keep timing out. I really like Ashland but I have to say, we have faster internet service back in Durango.:lol3
  17. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts

What a Great video! Wow!!!
  18. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Take us there we are all waiting for the start of the epic dirt ride........:eek1
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Here we go! :freaky
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    But you tell me
    Over and over and over again, my friend
    Ah, you don't believe
    We're on the eve
    of destruction

- Barry McGuire

Thursday afternoon, the day before the ride:

The 2013 ride HQ was once again the Holiday Inn of Durango

With the ride starting at 7am the next day, Friday, we rolled over to the Holiday from the Gobernador via taxi, and found the flood of ATVs - but no bikes! Were we to be the only ones on motos? Not fair! :lol3

You can always find a Walter Bishop event becuase where Walter goes, the Green Monster goes

[​IMG]

SR probably has a better idea than I on how many of these were entered in the Ruta:

[​IMG]

One of the first thoughts that came into my mind was "somebody around here has a LOT of money to spend on toys!"

Most of things were decked out - no expense spared. Farkles and sound systems and fancy looking suspension packages.

Wait! Why aren't we going to travel in comfort too? :eek1 We have to do this on dirt bikes?!?

What if it rains? :lol3 These guys even bring a roof over their head in addition to unfair traction! :lol3