Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    My new (some used) toys:

[​IMG]

2010 Gibson Les Paul R8 reissue.

[​IMG]

1997 doubleneck.
  2. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    You must be a Zep fan, nice axes. :deal
  3. IHWillys

IHWillys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, excellent advice.

Ken
  4. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have a newish Martin D-28 and a reissue danelectro. How can you tell I am a Zep fan? :D
  5. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So true...my first guitar...about 3-4 years ago was one of those "starter kits" for $100 or some such thing. Made my fingers bleed. about 2 years ago I bought a Gretsch....WOW what a difference, then I bought a LP....again WOW. The difference is just amazing....not only in tone (I am just learning about that) but in how easy the thing is to play. The action was so high it was just impossible, and to try to lower it the buzz was just crazy...so I figured that is the way it was.

Get a good middle of the road guitar and you will be miles ahead.
  6. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got this yesterday! Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute goldtop, P90's, made in the USA. It has a cool, thin satin nitrocellulose finish that takes on kind of a greenish hue, and looks vintage but not like the weathered Fender relics. The finish on the back of the neck is a little rough, and the fretwork at the top of the neck isn't great, but I'll have a guitarmaker smooth it out. It's very light for LP, and has a pretty slim neck. Really cool guitar for under $1000, especially given the prices of new Les Paul's today. The goldtop versions are pretty scarce. It's my first Les Paul.

[​IMG]
  7. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice guitar, you can probably guess from my name what my first "real" guitar was.
  8. Howzit

Howzit DoubleTrouble

Oddometer:
    Daughter's 70's Jarock neck-through by Fujigen:
    [​IMG]

Daughter's 70's Orlando P-Bass by Matsumoku:
    [​IMG]

Son's Les Paul Bass by Epiphone:
    [​IMG]
  9. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know anything about Morgan? There is a used JM12 (12 string) for sale at the local Guitar Center, they were not helpful with any info. Have not been able to find much on the internet other than it is made in Canada. They sell cheaper stuff made in China, this model is not from their low end.
  10. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone looked at the game Rocksmith?

I an not a very advanced player by a long shot, but it is actually pretty darn cool. You plug any electric into your Xbox360 or PS3 and it will give you songs, exersizes, games to play on the guitar....your regular guitar. I have played the game with my Epi LP, and my Gretsch 5120...both work great.

I think this is a great learning tool, and even with the games it has it moves me out of my confort zone. I has to be bar none the best thing I have bought for the xbox ever.

If you can give it a try....not sure what value it will have to an advanced player, but for me (somewhere between total noob and middle of the road) it is fantastic.
  11. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    My neighbor has a really, really nice Larrivee C10, whom the owner of Morgan Guitars (David Lannone) aprenticed under when he was younger. If it is anything remotely close to the Larrivee it will be one fine piece. :deal
  12. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about picking it up. I just picked up a 72 SG the other day and would love to learn some new stuff on it.
  13. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I look at is as a game and a learning tool. There is a pretty good thread going on with it over on the les paul forum...from their reviews is why I bought it.

It was kinda spendy at $80, but I feel it is worth every penny. Best thing I have bought for my Xbox yet and best thing I have bought for the guitar yet.
  14. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about picking Rocksmith up today after work. small downside is I don't own an xbox or a PS3 so I'm trying to figure out which system to buy. Leaning towards the PS3 as I can then swap out my blue ray player and not add another device to my TV but the xbox kinect looks like fun too.

It looks like a fun game, and if it helps motivate me out of the rut I've been in the past year it should be a worthwhile purchase.
  15. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just won a 73 Martin D12-35 on fleabay. Will send pics when it gets here next week.
  16. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just want to add another bit about the rocksmith game.

I would say if you are a middle level guitar player it will help you out the most, know the basics. If you are more advanced I think it will help you keep sharp.

Add to that it is fun. There is a game in there that makes you do chord changes....little fun looking zombies pop out of the fret board where your fingers are to go and when you play the chord it shoots the zombies....it gets faster and faster.

there is another game where you shoot ducks....a duck will fly up the fret board and you have to play the single note on the correct string....miss and the duck gets away. It really gets your fingers moving up and down the fret board.

there is just so much that makes doing just regular practice fun.

I would say no matter what your level this game has something to offer you.
  17. 68deluxe

68deluxe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the 1973 D12-35 but sent it back. Last night I picked up a 1965 Martin D12-35 with a Brazilian Rosewood side/back. Got it for a great price.

[​IMG]
  18. austruck

austruck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you'll be more happy with the 65....early 70's Martins were sketchy, some good some not so good....
  19. mutineer

mutineer pierpont lives

Oddometer:
    is there a mac version

I have a mac mini setup on our main tv and I am out of HDMI ports (older tv and it only has two)
  20. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that there is only a PS/3 and XBOX 360 version out now....the PC version is coming, but I don't know about mac.