Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Made some more progress. I fabed up some 3/16" aluminum. Just some simple bends to make them match the width of the stock headlight. Still just figuring it out as I go, I suspect I am going to use it for a while and scrap it for a re-design. I figure I won't really know what works until I try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next steps will be to fab up a riser bracket which will old the speedo, gps, and eventually an ICO and roadbook. Fab up a bracket that will mount the faring, and of course create the fiberglass faring itself.

Hope to get some good progress done over the next week or so. I need the bike to be ready in time for Sandblast Rally in February.
  2. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    good that you are trying stuff out well in advance. It is amazing how much abuse a rally does to a bike and how much stuff gets loose or breaks.
  3. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Exactly, I ride this bike a lot so I figure it will be a good test platform. I just wish I had more testing time before Sandblast. I have fears of the whole thing coming off in the middle of a stage :eek1

Going to bring a big roll of duct tape and tons of zip ties just in case.
  4. Rally Playero E.

Rally Playero E. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see you have the ERTF-Repet installed using a Garmin 276c , how did you connect this , any complicated installation necessary ?

Regards
    Patrick
  5. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    One option is to get the heading repeater built by fellow ADV inmate Schattat.
    [​IMG]

Here's his product: http://www.rallyenavigationsolutions.com/cr.html

He provides a cable that plugs right into a 276 and some other GPS units.

[​IMG]
  6. MakS

MakS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Приветствую !

Вот мое решение которое я применил на своем мотоцикле АТ.

Hi!

Here's my solution which I used on my motorcycle AT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  7. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Here's my rough aroudn the edges start.

[​IMG]
  8. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    with some files to build out the good looks of it all, Thanks Anti Paul....

Here's the jpg views

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's a PDF drawing sheet
  9. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    I believe this belongs here in this thread as I think it is quite ingenious. I cannot understand a word but what I do see is a flexible navigation bracket. It seems it would be quite stable and yet absorb crashes to some extent. @0:30
    Any one have any further intel on this?
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Pilbara
  10. windquest

windquest Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like some kind of spring loaded pivot point. Interesting idea, I wonder how it held up to the Rally?
  11. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Figured I should throw our design into the mix.

Ned's 2012 Dakar bike. Support is under there somewhere.:D
    [​IMG]

Pic of a couple of the instruction installation photos for the production units.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

more info and photos in my sig. below.
  12. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Or the tower is made out of a flexable plastic instead of the standard aluminium...
  13. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I reckon it could be delrin plastic. Tileman has been toying with this stuff lately, Im sure he will chime in soon.
  14. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Could be a big chunk of rubber similar to the KTM pds system... a great idea nonetheless!

Also curious about Ned's impression of the F2R, was he running the version with the external motor?
  15. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:

All versions of F2R have the motor inside. The way I see it, this is one of the major advantages over the MD design.

I have a low hours MD with a twisted motor right here, if anyone wants to buy it :cry
  16. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prototype finished the dakar

[​IMG]

site

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

facebook

[​IMG]

in case something like this happen, other Dakar 2012 kawasaki driver

[​IMG]
  17. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think so unfortunately for me as I have a supplier of it for free :evil. More like Telfon from the translation. But I am going to do some searching. :deal
  18. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    This bracket is made of high density polyethylene. Thats what the guy says. His name is Paco Martinez. He built all the rally kit himself (only the rear tank was bought to JVO) and finished :clap Real Dakar hero with the old Dakar spirit of "do it yourself". The bike wasn't even an enduro but a MX bike.

He says that the KTM guys had been lurking his bracket. He was resigned that they were going to copy and patent it, and he would not see a single rupee.

[​IMG]

19. Pilbara

Pilbara In the flow...

Oddometer:
    A good source for all you budding HDPE (HIgh Density PolyEthylene) nav tower constructors is Bread Cutting Boards, yep thats right the ones you can buy in the supermarket for chopping meat and veges or cutting bread on. Come in a range of colours and thickness and easy to work with. They will usually have a 'HDPE' symbol somewhere on them. It is a lot easier than trying to find and source through an industrial plastics supplier if you are not that way inclined.

If using drills make sure they are sharp but also just grind or stone a small flat on the cutting edge axially not on the end. This takes away the 'rake' of the cutting edge and stops it dragging the drill through and into your hand or straight through the seat of your bike that you should not have been drilling over anyway. Trust me it is a good mod to make as it eliminates some nasty drill grabs.

Polyethylene is inherently difficult to glue. Some success can be had with standard araldite but it is not Rally safe. Bolting and mechanical fixing is preffered even if you do glue.

Lets go, here's to the next generation of nav towers:freaky

Cheers
    Pilbara
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  20. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    I've had my roadbook on a stiff rubber mount. Even though it was pretty stiff, it still vibrated so much I could hardly read it when the engine revs were in the wrong place or the terrain was too rough. The flexible mount sounds real good, but I'm not convinced it would stay still enough for reading the roadbook and instruments.

I've got a lot of HDPE on my sidecar. In the States there's nothing that beats McMaster-Carr for easy selection. The stuff is almost indestructable!