Please confirm triple clamp bolt torques on '07 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Rockwell, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Rockwell

Rockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking in the manual, it says 20Nm for the top triple clamp bolts and 15Nm for the bottom.

Doesn't this seem a bit low?

I'm just trying to make sure that I am looking at the correct bolts on the torque list for what I am trying to tighten.

Can anyone confirm that I am reading the correct torque values?
  2. 6732cash

6732cash Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did mine today after a spring and oil change.... and yes thats what is says in the book....you are dealng with ally....if the front falls out I will let you know
  3. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Great. I'll let you ride first, and, if I don't hear back from you, I'll know to tighten some more. :p

Another question since you've been working on the bike: does the right brake cable go through the right plastic wire harness (that's mounted to the bottom of the top triple clamp)? I don't have pictures of that area.

Thanks!
  4. 6732cash

Oddometer:
    ther is only one cable clip on the left as you sit on the bike and every thing goes through it 950 no abs
  5. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Yes. There is one cable clip on the left and one on the right.

My right side has my throttle cables, signal/lights controls and clutch cables.

On the left, I have start/kill harness, brake switch, and I am wondering about the brake cable. Mine will be different since I have ABS. My brake cable runs to the bottom of the seat where the ABS is.
  6. 6732cash

Oddometer:
    You need someone with a 990
  7. sledstorm1

sledstorm1 CT RAMBLER'S MC CLUB

Oddometer:
    That's what they use on the dirtbikes also... Any tighter and you'll be squashing the inerds! Make sure you clean the insides of the triple and the tube itself.. and you'll never see them move useless you hit something....
  8. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    The torque mentioned in the manual is correct. Too tight and the springs inside of the thin walls of the fork leg will rub due to over tightening.

The 990 has two clips on the top triple. The front brake line goes through the smaller plastic clip (called "brake hose guide top") on the right side.
  9. Rockwell

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I just assumed it went in there, so that's where I put it.

One last thing (for now, at least): Looking at the wiring diagram, the front brake switch looks like it functions just like a regular mechanical switch in which the wires can be swapped and still function the same way. Is this correct, or is this, internally, some kind of directional switch in which the positive needs to be connected to a specific terminal?
  10. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    It will work even if you swap the wires. Its just a contact switch without polarity.