2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Bronson1

Bronson1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greenback Tn. near the tail of the Dragon
    I just think everyone should be aware that touratech does not seem to post bad reviews of products. It seem to only post ones that are postive. I recently added a comment simply pointing out a discrepancy in what bikes the nuvi 550/500 MvG lockable mount will fit and they did not post it under reviews.. By the way it will not work on our Sertao. I have heard from others that touratech only seems to post great reviews but it bothers me that we might not be getting the whole story when we relied on the reviews from this site.
  2. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    super nice pic!
  3. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thanks. I'll call them and verify that the Zumo 660 will fit
  4. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Talked with Touratech and they said that you have to buy the Adjustable Windshield Bracket, P/N 300-5330 for $98
    Then you adjust the windshield up and out and you can easily remove the GPS. With the unit back in the dock you can then move the windshield back down into the stock position and, wallah!
    I'm in!
    So far I'm very impressed with TT. Every question I've asked has been answered right away and they have been truly helpful. And their stuff is really cool looking too:)
  5. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:

klunks,
    klunks bad enough to sound like the front is just about to fall out
    if you run over some very moderate potholes

not sure about the funktion, did not even try to put in any real riding
    the sound is too gut wrenching

so far no feedback from the dealer
  6. grizzlyj

grizzlyj Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure you're right about being really impressed, since to solve the problem they want you to spend even more with them, and to quote their description of the GPS bracket "The mounting plate attaches neatly to the existing mounting points behind the windscreen on the BMW G 650 GS" The instruction pdf says you can combine with the screen adjuster, not you have to? Maybe a few washers to space the screen out would work too?

http://shop.touratech.co.uk/gps-mou...t-adapter-bracket-for-navigation-systems.html
  7. kdennan

kdennan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I talked with them again yesterday and he said I do not have to use the adjustable windshield mount. I can simply twist the gps in it's dock down enough to open it. That works for me
  8. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I received my TT adjustable windscreen bracket today and I can't figure out how to get the stock windscreen off. Whenever I turn the 4 bolts holding the windscreen on they just spin and spin like the nut on the other end isn't attached to anything. Anyone have any experience with this?
  9. Bronson1

Bronson1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greenback Tn. near the tail of the Dragon
    ZBone I had the same problem. I had to take the black bracket cover off behind the screen (in front of you as you are sitting on the bike) and then use a pair of needle nose to hold the back of the nuts to keep them from turning. Once they brake loose then they will come on out without having to hold them. There are some small screws holding the cover on with a star type head. :rofl
  10. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, I just figured that out... I've gotten the top 2 out but I'm having a hell of a time with the bottom 2. Thanks for the reply, Bronson.
  11. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    does anyone know if the stock heated grips work with MX bars ?

... just looked. took the left grip off. there are two small screws that thread into the handle bars. the rubber part of the grip is on top of a plastic piece (the part that is screwed into the handle bars).

not sure how i could use the stock heaters with a beefier handlebar. guess i would have to drill and tap the new bars to accept the stock screws?
    any other ideas?

also,
    someone posted a picture of their relocated regulator rectifier earlier. did you just buy longer bolts ?
  12. kion

kion Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if Sertao beak extender will fit an '05 F650gs beak? They do look the same to me but just to make sure. If so anyone is willing to sell one?
  13. Mr. GREEN

Mr. GREEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello
    excuse me for my language
    i have small information :
    The wolfman rack does not adapt with a silencer remus.
    It is necessary to cut and to lengthen a fixation(binding).
    I have contact wolfman.
    Their answer

Thank you for your email. I can now see the problem. But, I do not know what Wolfman can do. It is not possible to make racks and know every exhaust manufacturer. It is only possible to manufacture to BMW original system.

Dammage ! Wolfman is good farkles !

See the photo.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here it's just possible (3/5 mm)

[​IMG]

but not here ! I have cut

[​IMG]

14. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:

the dealer just put the forks back together
    and the 'klunk' is gone

next question
    is it normal for the Sertao to consume considerable more gas than the Dakar did?
    thought the new engine was supposed to be a little more economic than the old one
  15. Mr. GREEN

Mr. GREEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am 4,3 liters / 100 km.
    I believe that it is a lot.
  16. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    the Dakar always got 60mpg, on a good day 65 that's between 3.9 and 3.6L/100km
    the Sertao gets around 50mpg = 4.7L
  17. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure where you got your information, but according to BMW the Sertao gets 74mpg at a constant 55mph and my experience with my bike has been spot on with this. Riding slab in the mountains at 65-70mph I'd average around 65-70mpg and riding the bike off-road and hard on the throttle I'd still get 55mpg.
  18. ZBone

ZBone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone added some sort of soft tank panniers to their ride? I'm thinking it'd be a great way to carry some extra tubes, tire spoons, and levers. Looking at the bike I'm a little concerned that they'd cover the vents on fairing, but I'm unsure whether those vents have any sort of function or if they're just there for looks. All the hot air leaving the bike exits below the fairing onto my knee so I can't imagine what other purpose they would serve.
  19. ar1814

ar1814 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here, my "old" 2-Spark GS gets around 65 mpg, less than what the two above are getting with their Sertao
  20. Mr. GREEN

Mr. GREEN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can be the end of the grinding for me? My motorcycle is 745 miles
    Or the cold of the winter? The temperatures are always cold

For the dealer BMW it is normal, but my "old" F800GS consumed similar ... but with more HP !: Huh