Elite 150 Belt Snap!!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by brycekauai, May 25, 2013.

1. brycekauai

brycekauai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, so I thought I was running clean on my skelly but today I had a shocker. The belt got shredded. I just put it on about 2 weeks ago as well. I did some research and the one I got off ebay had a different size but according to others on this forum it would fit and work just fine. I do notice that at high speeds of 45+ it does make a on off vibrating sound down there. The old belt had some teeth missing and was super stretched out. The new one had less then 300 miles on it. Any suggestions or things I should look for before buying another mistake. Photos below.Mahalo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. plumbstraight

plumbstraight plumbstraight

Oddometer:
    When it comes to replacing anything I would get the right part, that is the same one that came on it when new. I see the back drive is cogged, wonder if the belt had the right teeth to fit the secondary drive.
  3. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    yah buy the right one off scappy dog .com . flea bay is always chancy .
  4. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea the chinese ones aren't good.

But I have had one for thousands of miles, but I don't trust it so on long rides I always bring the tools and an extra belt to change it!
  5. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check that your pulleys are smooth. If they are rusty and pitted,that could chew them up quick. I have no scooter experience, just general mechanics such as car, machinery.
  6. Eliter85

Eliter85 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with the quality. A bando belt will be fine. Probably just the off size. Are any of the surfaces that grab the belt rough or cracked? That could cause it to wear down much faster.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
  7. brycekauai

brycekauai Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I put the old belt on that I had and the scooter sounds like crap. I think something could be wrong with the clutch now. It has horrible takeoff and rattles like hell. I can barely get it up my driveway. But when it hits about 20mph and up the scooter sounds fine. Could it be a worn out clutch spring? Ideas? thanks!
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Will the only way to know is to take both the clutch and varator off and see what is what inside them. If you ve got an impact gun it s take 30 seconds a side to take them off . If not consider spending 40 bucks for an electrical impact gun. Just got one myself and can t see my ever going back to a hand tool for this. If you cheap you can make a tool to hold the clutch bell and varator out of 2 peace of flat 1 inch stock and 3 bolts. Google for DIY Scooter clutch tools to see what I mean. The only other guess might be is the old belt seat right? I wonder if it postible for roller to get stuck or thrown out of place when a belt snaps? If nothing else might be a good time to put in dr pulley sliders ( 25 bucks ) and see how good the clutch is .
  9. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes an impact wrench is quite awesome to have. But bewhere, although not relevent that if on the side of the road you need to replace a belt, you don't need an impact gun, there is a way to remove/install pullies by hand, no tools needed except to get the CVT cover off! I've done it multiple times.