Cali to Prudhoe Bay

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ParaMud, Jul 22, 2012.

1. beemerphile

beemerphile Unreconstructed Southerner Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is easy to lower a KLR with lowering links on the rear suspension the front can be dropped by moving the fork tubes up. Be sure to do the doo-hickey conversions on both before you leave. On my recent trip to the area I saw some guys loading up a KLR for a dead trip home because the balancer chain derailed and totaled the engine. Get the torsion spring version. Some will say that the newer KLR's don't need them, and while the doo-hickey is built better, the spring still does not have enough tension. My son's 2008 had no spring tension left when we did the install on his at 3,700 miles. On the older bike, make sure that the plastic wear pad on the front of the swingarm is good. I met a guy who had a chain break on one on the Dempster because the pad had worn through.
  2. slo rider

slo rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I might suggest heading west out of Prince George and taking the Cassier. We thought that was one of the better roads vs the boring straightness found on the Alaskan Hwy. YMMV. I would also recomend not missing the Denali Hwy.
  3. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, the denali is on the route. I see the route your are telling me to take. 16->37. Ill either take that route on the way back or change my route on the way there.
  4. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Here's a route that is sure not disappoint: Get to Cody WY - Take Hwy 120 north from Cody to Hwy 296 (Chief Joseph Byway) - Ride the Chief Joseph Byway to the Beartooth Hwy and then over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge, MT - Ride from Red Lodge on Hwy 78 to Absarokee and then north to Hwy 12 - Hwy 12 west to Helena then I15 north to exit 200 (6 miles of slab) - west on Hwy 279 over Flesher Pass to Hwy 200 - East to Hwy 287 to Hwy 89, north to Hwy 2 then west thru Glacier Park (or go all the way to St Mary and ride the "Road to the Sun" thru the park) - Hwy 2 to Bonners Ferry ID - North into BC and go to Crawford Bay - ferry (free) to Balfour - then Kaslo, New Denver, Nakusp - North to ferry from Shelter Bay to Galena Bay (free) - Hwy 1 to Hwy 93 (Banff Park) - west on 93 to Jasper (Icefield Parkway)- (Hwy 16 Yellowhead Hwy) - west on Hwy 16 to Kitwanga - Hwy 37 (Cassiar Hwy) to Hyder turn off (side trip to Hyder AK well worth the 80 mile round trip) - Cassiar north to ALCAN vicinity Watson Lake - ALCAN to Whitehorse - Klondike Hwy north from Whitehorse to Dawson City - ferry across the Yukon (free) to the Top of the World Hwy and Taylor Hwy (100+ miles of dirt) thru Chicken Alaska back to ALCAN vicinity Tok - ALCAN to Delta then Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks.
  5. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my. I am doing that.

Just mapped it out https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...mra=dpe&mrsp=16&sz=9&via=5,8,12,16,17&t=m&z=3
  6. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right now I am still working on the finances and packing list. We went to the REI store yesterday and we were testing out the sleeping mats. We found http://www.rei.com/product/828229/the-north-face-dolomite-3s-sleeping-bag-double

Can be 2 singles or a double, but I am open to suggestions. I am also on the hunt for a better sleeping pad. We have 2 of the thermarest (15 years old) and I need thick padding because I am bony. So I was looking at the http://www.rei.com/product/778150/rei-camp-bed-25-self-inflating-pad and the XL is only 70 bucks (cheaper than the smaller one?) I would love the exped downmat but way to expensive!

So the main reason I posted this is to ask a question.
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/34124/ITEM/Sidi-Cobra-Boots.aspx
    Natalie and I both have a set of Sidi boots (similar to the ones above). I am thinking that we should get more of a motocross boot such as the tech 8. I can get a set pretty cheap, but Natalie is a bit harder to shop for. So motocross boots or keep our current ones? I am leaning towards the motocross boots.

Thanks for the help guys!
  7. redneck skier

redneck skier n00b

Oddometer:
    I will be heading that way in a couple of days!! Really excited and really happy to have found this thread... I'm kinda hoping I can find a few riding partners along the way. Good luck with your adventure next year!
  8. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Bought one bike. Still saving up to buy another one.

Went for a 2 up dirt ride to test out the bike and it worked great!
  9. WTF-OVER

WTF-OVER Yeah, Its Got a Boxer

Oddometer:
  10. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We now have 2 bikes in the garage. One 2004 KLR with 9000 miles and a 2007 with 5000 miles. I am currently using the 04 to commute to school on the freeway. The 2007 KLR is currently torn apart and waiting for some paint. I also should be order modifications such as lowering links, Happy Trails NERF/Skid Plate/Highway Pegs and the $100 softbag rear cage. Also need to do the DOhickey on the 07.

Went for another 2 up ride last night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am still working on the Route some more. I have been looking at Ride Reports and have been changing the route. I need to redo it so we can cut down the total amount of miles but still see the same sits and roads. Basically go up north on the west side, and south on a more easterly route.

I also bought 2 new Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pads (rectangle one long, one regular) for under $100 which was a great deal. We are both excited for the trip!
  11. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I raced with WERA in Las Vegas and we camped. The mattress pad worked great for me. Can't wait to get out sleeping bags. We are currently using the sleeping bags that I used as a kid with my family. Going to get soem big agnes bags so our pad is integrated.

We went to Rawhyde today for an Adventure day and had a blast. Did a small dirt class.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had a blast. Also picked up the small giant loop saddlebags for Natalie. Also ordering a bunch of things online tomorrow.

:freaky Time!
  12. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    So have u decided if your coming in 2013 ?
  13. FLARider1

FLARider1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2011, 34 days, Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to Key West, 14,866 miles. Total cost was about $7800 which included trinkets and gifts, oil changes and one set of tires (knobbies were paid for before I left home, paid for a set of Tourances in transit). I stayed at reasonable priced hotels, ones that I did not feel a need to set up my camping gear inside, and I ate very well. I did not eat at a chain restaurant but twice the entire trip!! Mom and pop locals are the way to go!!! I only camped 4 nights as I spent lots of time just exploring and soaking in the scenery and just really didn't fell like burning an extra 1 to 1.5 hours at the end/start of the day mess with camp setup and tear down. I used the time to see more stuff!!!

In Fairbanks, for bike service and tire changes, if needed, I highly recommend Adventure Cycleworks!! They are the best!! http://www.advcycleworks.com/ Shawn is 'aktracks' on this forum, I forget Dan's handle!!!

Heed the warnings on the weather, your abilities and your bikes abilities. Below is what Antigun Pass can hand you in a good rain!!!! Pucker factor was high coming down that hill knowing that 2 tractor/trailers were not far behind me!!

[​IMG]

Good luck and enjoy your trip.........I know I can't wait to get back up there in 2014!!!!
  14. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Leaving June 23rd, 2013 after a friends wedding.

I wish we could stay at a motel or a decent place, but we can't even come close to affording that. All of our money is going for gas and food. We are both poor college students.

Thanks for all the advice! I am still working on my wet weather gear, mainly gloves.
  15. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like an incredible trip! Colour me envious!

If you happen to be stopping in Prince George on your way north (or south) drop me a PM. We live on acreage just 10 min west of the city, lots of lawn space for tenting or a spare bed if you'd prefer a break from the elements.

I also have a utility trailer in case either of the KLR's need retrieval anywhere in the area :evil

Sorry... die-hard DR owner, I had to get that jab in there! :rofl

Good luck with the rest of your planning!
  16. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Went for a dirt ride yesterday. I took my klr 650 and my girlfriend borrowed a crf150. This was her first real dirt ride and did great. Started out with some fire roads, then went onto double/single track. I only binned it once going up a steep rocky hill on a double track.

Was the most technical roads I have taken my klr on and it held up great, but man it is heavy when it goes off jumps and slams down. I was worred the center stand would rip out the foot pegs. Felt them get jarred a couple times on the rocky and bumpy parts.

She fell over a couple times but had a blast.

No pictures :(
  17. mundobravo

mundobravo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got turned back at the Arctic Circle on my RT (street tires) because of rain and my skill level. I left NM on May 15th and camped most of the way. Not one bug bite that early in the summer.<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/7780879?badge=0" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7780879">Driven - The Arctic Circle</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user383158">Mundo Bravo</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  18. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I am heading up myself leaving kansas June 15th on my Buell Ulysses....those KLR's are more that enough to handle the trip.
  19. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome, we should see you when you are on the way back. :freaky
  20. ParaMud

ParaMud Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuff Need to Buy:
    Cooking Supplies
    Rear Rack for My KLR for My Soft Bags.
    Bug Spray.
    Towels,