Black bear pass

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by SUPERRIDE, Jul 7, 2013.

1. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Roads like that don't bother me just because there is a shelf when I'm riding. In the Jeep I be a little worried but there is plenty of room it looks like.
  2. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    isn't it heights that you have the issue with?:lol3
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    I 4-wheeled a lot of that area in my old, modded, full-size, '89 GMC Jimmy over the years. That Jimmy had a 106" wheelbase, but it was as wide as a Suburban of the same era. Those trails got awfully narrow in that rig, and they're not much better in a Jeep, though every little bit helps. Ophir wasn't bad at all if you're not prone to a fear of heights on that long downhill with the exposure on the left. Black Bear was definitely more of a pucker factor. Riding a dirt bike over those same places make them seem like a boulevard sometimes.:lol3
  4. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah well I don't tend to look down the shelf...LOL You bastard you remembered..... :freaky
  5. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah in the Jeep I had the worst spot coming into Georgetown out of the mountains. I have a 2005 GC. Some Dual sport guys at the top "yeah man I'm not sure you will make it around the boulder"...ah what do those crazy Dual Sport guys know. :rofl Sure even I had the right tires on the edge of the drop to get around the boulder...not even an inch to spare, if the ground gave out I would of been at the bottom real fast. I think I pooed myself that day, same for my best friend.

If the trail is wider then my motorcycle I don't get worried. But Trevor knows, I do hate heights especially when looking down a skinny trail on a adobe ridge and watching everyone basically slide all the way down out of control well except THE ENDURANCE who magically appeared at the bottom like a winged god.
  6. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    nope, i was out of control too:lol3 I'm just used to it is all.
  7. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    The "ENDURANCE"...you know...I kind of like that. I've hated typing that hyphen ever since I've known Tom.:lol3
  8. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    MaR- I was in Telluride july 3rd with intentions of giving you a shout but things went downhill (loosely speaking) kinda quickly. Three of us left
    Silverton to do Imogene-Ouray-Black Bear pass. Ken wasn't feeling well
    so he went back at Ophir. Mike and I rode into Telluride. Our plan was to do Imogene to Ouray and Black Bear to Telluride. I was going to call you back in Telluride. Mike and I got over Imogene and were heading to Ouray
    when Mikes bike quit just before the bridge. It was hard to re-start. After a bump start we were on our way again. We just passed the mine office
    (house) when Mike said his bike started rattling (DRZ 400). Yep, it sounded awful. I told him it was all down hill from there into Ouray so he sarted coasting down. He started the bike again and tried to ride it into town when it quit altogether after about a 1/4 mile. (I suspect a cam chain). Anyways, I pulled him to the garage at the other end of town
    where he stayed til I could get back with a truck. Needless to say I didn't make it back to Telluride. Maybe next year.

Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about you.

Robert
  9. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    No worries Robert. I haven't had a chance to be back on the bike since returning from Canada, but that should change this weekend, even if it is just playing with my boys out at Peach Valley. I am in the process of helping some guy I saw broke down near the gas station in Telluride. DRZ400E. No compression. Cam chain guide was broke and what not. Getting parts overnighted to Montrose and it is with a good mechanic friend here in town. The kid is on a TAT trip with 2 friends..they could have had a major delay coming into the weekend, but if all goes well, they will be pointed to Moab tomorrow afternoon, and hopefully my karma tank is full. I usually need it!
  10. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    :clap

I saw them yesterday, out at the valley floor parking right? I almost swung in there to offer help but I knew I'd just end up wanting to go get my working bike and go ride, which would of been bad...really bad. My boss, Patrona, would of killed me.

Good onya Trevor! You going on The Ride this weekend? or are you going on a ride this weekend? I'm hittin the high country Sunday if you can get out. I know I should make it a point to see David Byrne in T-town since I missed the last one, but I like to ride motos alot, so I'm just gonna do that and just plan on putting my fingers in my ears every time people try to tell me how awesome the show was... LALALALALLA, I can't hear you! So David sounded good huh? So did my 300hundy as I went screaming down the deserted singletrack!... Bite me!
  11. Dozer Dillon

Dozer Dillon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    • Bridal Veil Road Closure Date(s): Jun 26, 2013 - Jul 31, 2013
      Contact(s): Jan Fenner
      The Bridal Veil Road (636.0) near Telluride Colorado will be closed to foot and vehicular traffic from July 8 -19, 2013 for road construction.
  12. SUPERRIDE

SUPERRIDE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like the end of Black Bear Pass. I'll have to make another route. Any sugestions?
  13. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    I'd call San Miguel county road and bridge to confirm. The article I read made no mention of BB being closed. It might just be the section accessing the hydro plant.
  14. SUPERRIDE

SUPERRIDE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I called the San Miguell County road & bridge dept. They said Black Bear Pass is open. They are finished working on a small section near the power house. He said the pass closes only right after a very heavy rain storm.
    Let's hope for light rain so I can ride the pass on Friday!!!!!!:clap
  15. MurphCO

MurphCO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watch this and think about it....

http://youtu.be/0LB3xiC9J_E

If you want the treacherous parts only, watch from about 9:00 to 13:00

The steps....pay particular attention to the part where she looks back up the steps, now imagine them wet.

But I'm afraid of heights....post pics of your trip
  16. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
  17. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:
    snow covered uphill wasn't too bad:deal Trials tire baby!!!
    [​IMG]
  18. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
  19. CaptRick

CaptRick Still crazy..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    BB has a bad rap, it is really not all that difficult. Yes there is some exposure, but that is what helps to make the view so dam awesome! The steps are no big deal on a small bike, I personally would not want to do it on a GS or similar big bike but on a 450 it is a dam good time.
  20. GS Dave

GS Dave Chicken Farmer

Oddometer:

Wimp!:lol3