Superman!

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by TheMuffinMan, Sep 3, 2010.

1. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got taken out by a water pipe cover about 10 days ago, will keep it brief but here's some pictures!

Status: Alive w/all organs and just some stitches where my leg took out the right hand mirror.
    Speed: 15-20mph
    Safety gear: Jacket, Helmet, Airbag Vest, Gloves
    Cause: Front tire must've tilted up the water pipe cover which jammed between my oil pan and the hole in the road causing the bike to suddenly decelerate while I kept going (inertia's a bitch) over the handlebars superman style.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Bad luck and stupid covers! Though the airbag vest worked wonders; some of the best money I ever spent. http://safermoto.com/ (I have the MLV model)
  2. PJungnitsch

PJungnitsch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a strange one! Glad to hear the vest worked out. I got hurt pretty bad bouncing off the road w/o last year, was hoping my MLV would do some good if there was a next time.

It all inflated fine, neck support and all? Or can you remember?
  3. muddbutt

muddbutt Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer:
    That is such a nice looking bike - what a shame. Glad you are ok.

So what you are saying is this- the cover popped up and then caught the oil pan, causing you to go over the bars. Man, that is a weird one. Someone probably did not put that cover on properly, like it was half in the hole.

The airbag vest inflated fully? I have always wondered if they would inflate in time before you hit the ground. If I remember right, they take about a half second to fully inflate but some of the newer ones take about 1/4 second. Did you land on your chest or your back?
  4. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may be lucky.

A security guard making his rounds in the middle of the night at one of our local shopping centers ran over a man hole cover which lifted up on one side, punctured his gas tank, and his truck went off like a bomb...killing him.

I would definately pursue the property owner for damages, if you sure that was the cause.
  5. CaptainAttila

CaptainAttila Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! Glad you're okay!

I think I know what I'm going to ask Santa for this year.
  6. MathewC

MathewC All adders are puffs

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you're okay.

How did it work? Did it inflate before you hit the ground?

Thanks,
    -Mathew
  7. TheMuffinMan

Oddometer:
    Well I don't remember flying off the bike or landing. When I came too the vest was inflated. The next day I wasn't sore besides for an elbow/hand and my leg that had stitches and some other minor cuts. I have the model that inflates in 0.12 seconds.
  8. Wingfixer

Wingfixer Watch this... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is the vest re-usable?
  9. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! This is so pure badluck.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to repeat it on purpose.
  10. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the apartment complex, or whoever is responsible for the cover, owes you some money to cover the repairs and medical bills. Those covers aren't supposed to move or pop up like traps when a vehicle drives over them.
  11. galland1

galland1 n00b

Oddometer:
    +1
  12. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    arrgh I am sorry I cannot help it:
    this unrelated to the faceplant
    [Good that you were not too badly injured!] ---

But, check this out:
    the thread is titled, "Superman,"
    and the poster's alias is "LewisNClark,"
    (one of the best adv stories evar! Corps of Discovery,Jefferson,Sacajawea,etc)

But in the Superman universe: it's 'Lois and Clark."
    :poser

13. TheMuffinMan

Oddometer:
    Yeah the vest is re-usable (as long as the airbag doesn't have a hole in it), $20 for a new CO2 cartridge and then just pack the airbag tube back under the snaps that hold it in and you're back in business.
  14. haithabu

haithabu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you came away without significant injury. I'm in the process of getting an MLV as well.
  15. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my first Alaska Highway adventure we stopped for a coffee at the Continental Divide cafe, then after taking some pictures I got on (Bandit 1200S) to ride away. I released the clutch, just got my feet on the 'pegs - BAM! I'm lying on the pavement under the bike...! WTF!!!
    All we could figure is (we'd parked on the ONLY concrete around, and it was where the gas truck off-loads the gas thru those round metal-lidded holes) that as my front wheel started onto the far lip of the lid, it "kicked-up" jamming into my header and stopping me IMMEDIATELY. :huh There was a pretty good dent across 3 of the 4 pipes.

Ed
  16. bombarde

bombarde DL650AK7 - K75

Oddometer:
    You know, those iron covers are missing from just about every opening in my town. I have no idea why, unless it's for scrap value.

I suppose I'm glad they're gone after looking at your bike's pix, but riding over those open holes on the street is no picnic either.
  17. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad that the vest worked as it was supposed to and you come out okay. I am going to have to reconsider another thing in my riding, I have never thought twice about rolling over those covers.. :eek1
  18. SaferMoto

SaferMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Graham,
    Really glad to hear the vest helped you out. Shame about the Guzzi. :(:

Hope it all gets sorted out and you're back on the road soon. Let me know if you need anything!
    Cheers,
    -John
  19. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf High functioning sociopath

Oddometer:
    Yea, I know while metal prices were high there were some Meth heads stealing man hole covers...along with everything else...in Oregon. Scarey shit out there. I've always avoided all those covers.

Graham's accident is as freaky as that other inmate whose 1200gs fell through the carwash floor.

Hey Graham, you need to update your sign line now. :)
  20. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Can metal recyclers get in trouble for accepting stuff that's obviously stolen? "Where did you get all this copper pipe?" "Uh, I'm re-plumbing my house. This stuff was worn out."