Versys vs F650gs

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by papihijo, Sep 20, 2007.

1. papihijo

papihijo n00b

Oddometer:
    hi, I am looking to buy one of these two bikes, will do must street and longtrip riding, no offroad. come from a honda backround back home XL250cc...but in the US seems like 250s are too small. Honda does not offer anything like this except for the 919....(I like it but not so sure about riding position for long trips). Any comments or help will be greatly appreciated. Glad I found this site! will see you around.
  2. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    kAWI.
  3. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    WTF, I know I already posted in this thread while it was in the cellar :bluduh

"Buy The Kawi" :lol3

I guess the mods cleared out all the BS and took mine with it :lol2
  4. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    If you're going road only, the Versys would be the way to go. The Fgs is a great bike, but it's a thumper. With thumpers come vibrations - that you're willing to accept if you need one bike to do everything, but why bother if your riding is to be road only.
  5. papihijo

papihijo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, so far so good for the versys. i think i will stay away from the BMW; the older style, and the extra money.....not worth it for me...... have not heard bad reviews except some people disliking the style....I particularly like it.

Hopefully will come back with my own reviews after my first ride....
  6. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
  7. papihijo

papihijo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I have read the great one where you and pilot exchange reviews. I am just waiting for my dealer to get some in. how much did you pay for yours? the dealer is talking the usual crap that many people are waiting for it and that there are no discounts below the msrp....what do you think?
  8. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    It depends where you are at. Yes, there is a lot of interest, and it didn't help that Kawasaki is slowly releasing the bikes (most dealers in my area didn't even order one initially, so only a few dealers got bikes in the first shipment that showed up around here). But, despite that, I got a bike at a nice discount (and a rear rack) from a dealer than only had one bike (and the only bike at that time in the Portland metro area). :deal

In the last few days I have been getting calls from all the dealers that just got bikes in, so there are more bikes out there now.

Gustavo
  9. papihijo

papihijo n00b

Oddometer:
    I am in Miami, FL. Around here only one dealer has it, it is an exclusive KAWA dealer, the other dealers some don't even know about the bike...there is a kawa dealer show this upcoming week...let's hope they get some more in...
  10. Jutta

Jutta Into the remote places

Oddometer:
    I have ridden 50,000ks on my twin spark Dakar. I wish to make it clear that it does not vibrate and is a comfortable long distance all roads tourer. Here's the good and the bad.

Good

Powerful, reliable, smooth and economical motor
    Great handling
    Comfortable
    Great styling
    ABS

Bad

Too heavy
    Routine servicing is a pain
    notchy gear box
    no helmet lock
    indicators not flexible
  11. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    Everything is relative and also biased based on what you are comparing it to... :dunno

Gustavo
  12. Jutta

Jutta Into the remote places

Oddometer:
    Compared to other dual purpose 650s:deal .

Would you have expected me to compare it with an R1?:lol3
  13. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    A Versys? :dunno I thought that was the question... :scratch

Gustavo
  14. DougRoost

DougRoost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, you're comparing a beast (multi-cylinder bike on this forum) to a bit more dual sport thumper (single cylinder) bike. Further, you posted in the Beasts forum, not the Thumpers forum, so I guess you're fishing for what you want to hear. The closest competitor to a F650GS is really a KTM 640 Adventure, but even that isn't too fair. The Rotax engine in that F650GS is a nice, smooth piece, especially compared to the LC4 engine in the KTM.

I've been going through the same thought process, but for an adventure bike to add to my 2 stroke dirt bike. For street only, and a little exploring, get the Versys. If you really want to ride a mix of road and some offroad (gravel roads, 2 track, occasional single track), get the F650GS. If you want to do even more offroad, land some decent jumps, etc., get the Dakar race replica KTM 640 Adventure and live with some vibes and euro backwardness of the LC4 engine.

Another indicator is tire selection and aftermarket support. The KTM runs standard size offroad tires with tubes, while the other bikes run street size tubeless tires. They all have good luggage and rack options now so in this group that's not a deal breaker.
  15. papihijo

papihijo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your input. You are right on, I'd be doing more street than offroad (90/10) so the versys is a better option for me. So far, I can't find (here in the US) another bike that offers what the versys does in terms of value for your money besides the Vstrom and I personally like the versys better, I am sure aftermarket support is coming along. thanks again.
  16. Forrest Gump

Forrest Gump Run, Forrest, RUN...

Oddometer:
    I drove both models as well, my friend has Versys, and I made about 1000 kilometers on it. If You'll ride alone, it's not so bad, even it's not suited for more than 300 km a day, because of it's unconfortable seat for such a long trip. Especially it's valuable info for person behind You, for pillion Versys is very unconfortable.

As regarding GS, it's my favourite, because it's still BMW, and it's worth of every damn penny You pay for it. For driver and pillion, it's unmeasurable much confortable than Versys, has more fine line of power and torque, less undesired reactions. Versys is faster and stronger, but BMW is BMW, especially when You wants to sell it. And quality is strong ace of BMW.

Picking between Versys and F 650 GS depends on Your needs, especially do You ride alone or with pillion. For pillion, longer trips, confort, quality and image - pick BMW. For ride alone, power, top speed - pick Kawa.
  17. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    f650 would drive me nuts with the lack of oomph. Slower than acar is not a quality you want in a bike
  18. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    0-60 in 5 seconds. Which car were you talking about?
  19. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Agreed. My wife's F650gs (2001) puts my hands to sleep in the exact short period of time and distance as my KLR650 does. She says she feels no vibrations on her Fgs and would be willing to ride the bike to the moon. A friend of mine says my KLR650 has the least vibrations of any KLR he's ridden, but it puts my hands to sleep. Different people, different frequencies, different affects from the bikes vibes.
  20. spanker

spanker Lake City, FL

Oddometer:
    I just did a 5000 mile, 11-day TAT/asphalt ride on my 06 F650 GS. I agree with one of the posters here; it does not vibrate in a traditional, buzzy, make your hands numb sense. At 4500 RPM (75 mph with a 44T rear sproket), the bike likes it there. As with all D/S bikes, the GS is a compromise. I commute 100 miles a day on it and its perfect for that. 62-65 mpg, smooth, agile and competent. If you want to off-road, the trouble starts. The fat 19 in front tire does not belong off road and if you start loading up with camp gear, clothing etc. you'd better lower your expectations if you think you're going to do powerslides in the dirt. You will find yourself on your butt. BTW, the new '08 KLR has gained 50 lbs, the new Beemer 650 cross country has lost 50 lbs as compared to the GS, but also has lost 2 gallons of gas capacity, now only 3 gal's on board instead of 5.