Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    Anyone experience trouble with recharge with a Shorai battery? I've had two failures, both on touratech mounts; one on my KTM 690 and today on my GSA. In Vienna on a euro- tour for three months and the 650 takes a dump with "non supported external battery" WTF now? :huh
  2. Pine Sol

Pine Sol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    downloading-installing-open-street-maps

ok, so i have followed all the steps, added it to the gps, named it, but when i turn on the gps, i am unable to see the map?

what am i missing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thank you.
    edward
  3. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BASEMAP is severely crude and should not be used for navigation purposes, as it does not contain anything beyond major highways, and they are incredibly crude and inaccurate in their representation.

The BASEMAP is only intended to help you locate places on the map screen from very high zoom levels, nothing more.

If you want a detailed and accurate street map, you will need to install one.
  4. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the size of the OSM *.img file on the GPSr? (You added an image, so I can see it is 1.5 GB.

What are your map setup settings for detail and zoom set to?
  5. Pine Sol

Oddometer:
    when i first bought it, i turned it on, and it had streets and cities on north america (at least i think it had, i dont recall adding any maps to it)
  6. Pine Sol

Oddometer:
    1.5gb
  7. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I'm having the same problem. Wonder if your came with SD Card? The person who sold it to me didn't include his.
  8. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw on Facebook software 5.2 is out, though the only thing mentioned is that they updated the Icelandic keyboard. I guess that warrants a point number increase... :wink:
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin does not include uSD cards with the Montana, or any other GPS. Vendors may include special packages with uSD cards, but the only maps above and beyond the BASEMAP that garmin ships with the Montana are the 100k Topo map, and it is pre-installed on the GPSr, not on an uSD card.

I suggest some reading here to help you in a productive direction.
  10. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    Just stick an earplug or two into the battery compartment. All Montanas have that problem, sooner or later. It's not serious.
  11. motoreiter

motoreiter Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not serious until the battery jiggling around breaks off the battery contacts. I'd put some padding in the battery compartment sooner rather than later.
  12. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    The battery can't jiggle around that much, afaik. I've never heard of the Montana breaking any contacts. The contacts to the Lithium aren't the breakable kind, anyway. The AA connections, on the other hand probably could be broken but I don't hear of many [people using those unless it's an emergency.

[​IMG]
  13. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    What does that piece of tape do?
  14. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Micro memory storage..... I think.
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    You may find this post interesting :)
  16. pro5mark

pro5mark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I beg to differ. I posted this in another thread but I'll post it here also.

I'm on my second Montana and I'm starting to think that the unit is just not built for the abuse of an off road bike. I have it set up with the rugged mount on three different bikes, two road bikes and a KTM 690E. The first unit was fine till I used it on a week long expedition on the 690. The second unit just failed after a couple hours of light dual sporting on the washboard Michigan back roads.

Both units that I've had work fine as long as they are in the mount but as soon as I pull the unit or it looses power to the mount it dies immediately.

The pictures below shows the same fate of the both units that I have had. This unit only has one pin broken (originally had 4 pins), my first unit had all four pins broken off. This unit also has a foam block installed at factory and the battery fits very snugly, to the point where its hard to get the battery out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. dvmvm

dvmvm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the pictures, it seems to me that it might also have been caused by putting in the battery backside first and then the contacts. Or gettirg it out at the contact side first.
    Especially the newer Montana's have a thicker foam at the back of the battery compartment, which makes it difficult pressing it in at the backside. Even I was tempted to press it in at the contacts, but luckily I never did.

Summar:
    Always put in the battery at the contact side first, then press the back in. And get it out with the backside first!

I don't mean to say that this is the cause of the broken contacts, but a warning on this forum is fear enough I think.
  18. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it even possible to insert the battery this way? The end of the battery with the contacts has two recessed notches that must engage protrusions in the Montana case. I am dubious if it is even possible to press the battery down past these, and I do not think I will press the issue with my Montana. :)
  19. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using the AA batteries with a 690E and off-road riding for near 2 years....the stock Montana battery doesn't tolerate the vibration and I had numerous shutdowns even after stuffing the battery with earplugs, etc.
    The AA's will last for months if you're using the powered rugged mount...and no more shutdowns....
  20. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    My answer.........TAKE ALL BATTERIES OUT!!!

A year ago my Montana started to reset while riding. I was going to send it back then I tried all these different methods (suggested here on ADVrider) of inserting batteries (both styles) a certain way..........however,the solution which has worked great since, connect it to a direct power source and leave the batteries OUT!! I keep both style batteries on the bike in a bag and use it for backup only. I hardly ever need to take the GPS off the bike. Yes, this is not for everyone but it's worked without a hitch for me.

Good luck!