How to prevent handlebars from hitting windshield

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by lindenberg, Dec 2, 2012.

1. lindenberg

lindenberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know of a way to limit how far the handlebars can turn on an F800GS?

I've added an AeroFlow windscreen and my Touratech hand guards make contact with the windscreen supports about a 1/2 inches before the stops are reached. I also have raised bars which may contribute to the problem. The perfect solution would be an add on device to reduce the amount the handlebars turn. I afraid if I drop my bike the handle bars turning all the way to the stop will break the windshield.
  2. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you are looking at it wrong. There are times you need to turn tight. I would try to modify the hand guards or grind down the windshield before I would reduce my turning. You can also get risers that move the bars back as well as up.
  3. Oz_Gordo

Oz_Gordo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a Wunderlich screen and have cut bits off the sides to get around this issue. I used a dremel tool, sand paper and then fine wet & dry. It isn't difficult, just time consuming.
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I agree with sorebutt and OZ_Gordo. Anything you mount to limit your handlebar travel will not only decrease your turning radius, but will most likely break if/when you dump the bike, possibly taking other steering components with it. If you can't solve your problem by raising/lowering your handlebars, my advice is to get out the Dremel tool and start carving your brand new windshield.
  5. lindenberg

lindenberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is not the windshield but the windshield support that is hitting the hand guards. I'm going to call the manufacturer this morning and see if they have any tips. I'll let you know what they say.

. [​IMG]
    This is the Aeroflow windshield. I went with them because they are indorsed by the Iron Butt Association. I figured If they liked them the windshields must work well.