Roger Norman buys SCORE

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Trey650, Dec 20, 2012.

1. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll get a reach around.
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Lots of new stuff, like cars qualifying. Quals will be held at the race directors property out by Pepsi Stand.

Additional possible stuff being discussed:

New routes for San Flippy including north of Hwy 3
    4th Mexico race: Mexicalli to San Flippy lay over and then San Flippy to Ensenada
    Another Baja 2000 for the 50th
    Bikes on own day
    Once a sportsman bike is passed by car, his race is over (I told you we could get FUCKED)
    Start bikes 10 at a time
  4. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    What percentage of bikes stayed in front of the cars this year? Pretty much bye bye sportsman class and ironmaning it for anyone that's not a factory rider. Shitty
  5. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Sounds like desert racing for bikes is over, no danger, no glory...nanny state. :puke1
  6. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    good god, don't go getting your pants in a bunch, these were all just possibilities that were mentioned, nothing is set in stone yet...
  7. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with ya on that.
    Everyone just relax, things are going to get better for bikes in SCORE.

Part of the interview last night I didn't really dig was multiple mentions of "vips" and "special people". Almost as if there's going to become a big(ger) gap between the Famous and the Average Joes. iI'd imagine it's mainly a TV draw thing, I dunno, but it seemed odd to me.

Regardless of that I still think things are going to get better for the bikes.

I've had long talks with Norman and a few things like using old routes north of 3 I suggested as weel as some bike things (no further info to divuldge).

re: Qualifying for TT & 1 is awesome, just like BITD does it. If you are a fast C1 guy why suffer behind a mess of TTs? It's totally fair.

re: Get passed by a TT and you're out.... I don't believe it will happen. Shoot what was it at this last 1000, only about 20 bikes finsihed before the 1st TT? I think it was just him saying to the effect that "something" needs to happen.

re: Starting 10 at a time... Yes it's totally do-able at some events. Years ago I outlined to SCORE how to do it at Felipe keep it safe for the riders all in attempts to create a longer gap between last atv & 1st TT.
    I mean, it would be death to start 2-3 at a time at Felipe with the current initial 10 miles. There's another way to do it and keep the Start at the Arches.
    I also gave him another SICK idea for something to do at Felipe. If it ever happens we'll see. It would be epic for sure.

Starting out of Ensenada would be difficult to start multiple bikes at a time but Normans idea might work - starting on the beach at the south end of the main drag. BITD did exactly this 2 times years ago but only 1 bike at a time. It could work and be really cool if done right.

re: Pro vs Sprtsmn - NO, it's not the plan (although I've always suggested it) to make everyone race Pro. Norman has some ideas that, well, let's just say he thinks on a different level (must be a money thing). He really wants more bikes, like a lot more bikes.

And even though the Reno event is part of Kudlas series and not a team event I think it will work out well. But I'd really like to see a long-course team event up there because it's such awesome country.

Many people think SCORE bikes is BAJA racing, fine. But we used to also have in the same series a race in CA and in AZ. i think going back to a US race would be awesome (except that my elbow and wrist is so messed up it hurts to race anymore).

Just prep your bikes and save you $, it'll be worth it.
  11. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back then was RAD! Remember when there would be an honest 6-7 bikes that had a chance at the OA? And factory bikes in multiple classes, not just in 22. That was good stuff back then.
  12. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    Seriously, I can't see what a d*ck measuring contest is going to prove here other than turn this into yet another joke of a thread.

If you look at the sportsman over entries for last years 1K, there were 36 entries:
    http://score-international.com/2012-baja-1000-motorcycle-atv-results/
  15. KZJohn

KZJohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah the old "sportsman aren't real racers" debate.:freaky Some are, some aren't.
    My team and I raced sportsman because;
    1. It was what my sponsor,(Hammernutrition), was willing to pay for and did so for 3 years.

2. My health and dissabuility insurance won't cover me if I enter a "PRO" class but will if I'm an amature,(Muy importante).

My teams overall times at the 09 500 and the 10 B1K would have put us into the top 5 of all the pro classes but 22,(and in the top 10 of that).
    The point is, if there wasn't a sportsman class, I most likely wouldn't have been able to race. I know thats true of a lot of teams. If SCORE gets rid of that class and makes everyone enter a "pro" class with the higher entry fee, it will decrease the entries not increase them.
    I'm trying to stay optimistic about all of the changes but it's not easy when they aren't telling us anything in regards to the bikes. I don't want to race in the states anymore, I've done that for more than 20 years. I love Baja and love racing there.
  16. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:

Don't forget this is a business and by lowering field count, [ read in no bikes or sportsman racers ] you couldn't afford to promote any races. The sportsmen racers are the guys and gals who pay for this stuff to happen.
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure about that. SCORE has has had corporate sponsors that pay a bunch of money to put the event on including BFG, Tecate, VW and others. I think that many of the bike guys don't realize that even Class 11 (stock VW bug) is a Pro class.

So now I'm going to put my flame suit on and continue.........

While changes to the rules like getting passed by a car ends your race would most likely eliminate a lot of "ironman", "bucket list", or "Dust to Gloyites", it will not eliminate the serious sportsmen racers who enter to actually race (and aren't riding just to say they've finished). I've always believed that entering a RACE is just that, and if you ain't fast enough to keep up, well then you need to go home and work on your speed or perhaps recognize that you just ain't fast enough to be playing with these guys. I used to race SCORE on bikes back in the 70's, and I have had no problem admitting that there came a time when I didn't still have the speed and strength to continue to race it.

How many racers would like to at sometime in their life race a supercross or a AMA national? At any given event, how many who show up and pay their entry fees are fast enough to qualify and how many have to go home because they simply aren't fast enough? That's all part of RACING and the Baja 1000, 500 & 250 have always been races.
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Thats my point !!!!!!!!!
    These are RACE's not just somthing you enter to RIDE!!!!
    I dont see a Sportsman class at the NASCAR Daytona 500.... DO YOU ??????????????

this sport needs new blood!!!! SO STEP UP AND RACE THE PRO CLASS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would eliminate all but about 20 bikes. It would have eliminated ALL ironaman.

Bd your team got caught by the trucks... did you hang it up or continue to the finish. You were also beat by some in the sportsman class.... Actually you would have ended up in 9th place in over 250. Seems like there was more competition there since you were 3rd in class. Kinda funny you wouldn't have made top three in class with a bunch of "dust to gloryites" and "bucket list" sportsman. Maybe you need to rethink if you belong in the PRO classes.

I would have come in 9th in class 22. You would have been 7th. So what. It makes no difference what class you race. Your time is still the same and you still get passed by the trucks. Remove all classes but two Pro and a no pay back class with lower entry. call it SUB PRO, expert, sportsman, powder puff whatever you want it makes no difference. But then there is no way you can post all over ADV that you are going for the Class win like some have.

All because you are in a pro class doesn't make you faster or anything different other then the entry fee. Maybe some wouldnt enter because they don't consider themselves PRO but my guess is it wouldn't stop many.