Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. gwl

gwl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks I thought that was what it was.
  2. judas

judas ubern00ber

Oddometer:
    not sure if any one has seen this, but in my endless search for a more comfortable seat without sending $500 to a custom seat maker i think i found it. it was designed to be a passenger seat for cruisers, but due to its adjustable anchor system i think it will work perfectly on the Z. and even better, once adjusted properly you just pop it off if you want to do some crazy off road sections. and to top it off its only $99. i ordered one tonight, and will provide a full report once it arrives. http://www.buttybuddy.com/index.asp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    Judas, I'm not trying to be judgemental here, I'm just being honest: That looks like maybe the stupidest idea I have ever seen for a DRZ. I hope I'm wrong, so keep us posted re: your experiences with it, but on the surface it looks completely un-workable for a dual-sport bike. Just sayin'
  4. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Umm....sorry...but (butt)...:photog

Let us know how it works.
  5. judas

judas ubern00ber

Oddometer:
    trust me i hate the way the russel day long and bill mayer seats look, but the fact is they work, and the stock 4X4 seat doesn't. the beauty of this thing is it pops on and off in a few seconds. as far as it not working, i dont see how it wouldn't work. adjust the anchors to the width of the seat and use the retaining strap to keep it from moving when you stand up. for long distance hauls i think this will transform the drz. as far as the name, well thats just poor marketing.
  6. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I honestly don't see how it would. Seating is so subtle and this thing is axe when you need a scalpel. But do try it and report back.

- Mark
  7. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I'm doing the 3x3 mod in a few weeks, and was contemplating a pipe mod also. Since $ is tight, I'm thinking of getting just the slipon FMF or Yosh. What will I lose from doing that, versus getting a full system (can + header)?

In other words, is a slipon only going to give me a sound change, or will it actually give me a bit of an hp boost, and would there be more of an hp boost if I went with can and header?

Also, is the E exhaust different from the S? I have an S, and I've got somone willing to sell me their Yosh can from a wrecked E bike. Wondering if there is some rear footpeg attachment weirdness ....

thanks,

cm
  8. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    A bit of personal preference here but....

Most exhaust mods are a waste of money and time on the S unless you
    .....change to an E base gasket to bump compression a bit (but that means it's more fuel sensitive)
    .....change at least the intake came to the E spec or a more agressive aftermarket cam.
    .....open the air box with the 3-3 mod
    .....chanage the carb to a good (usually non-ebay) FCR.

Just modding the exhaust will cost and give you a louder bike without much REAL gain....yes it will sound faster.

Best bucks you can spend now would be the 3-3 mod and then the FCR carb....probably as much as a good exhaust.

This will give you a more responsive bike without being too loud. Then, later you can bump compression and do the cam...then the exhaust mods will actually have a real affect on performance.

With all these mods in place you can expect to pay a price. Mileage will drop, and bike will be louder and you'll most likely have to run premium fuel (depending on what passes for fuel in your part of the world).

If you just want a the bike to run like it should, do the 3-3 mod and see how you like it.
  9. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything said. The stock exhaust is pretty efficient and you won't gain much by an aftermarket exhaust (except noise of course), unless you make other mods. And slip-ons are even less likely to make power gains because the stock head pipe is so small.

Noise and nicer look - that will be about the extent of it.

- Mark
  10. canadius_maximus

canadius_maximus Quaere verum

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ladder and MJ,

Good advice!

cm
  11. RandomZ

RandomZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know the E model has better suspension than the S, is it worth finding a used E shock to replace the S shock with? I picked up an S fairly cheap and will be doing mostly off road stuff with it. Found a 2000 DRZ400E shock for $100, but that seems a little steep.

I'll be doing the airbox mod, play with the jetting and getting a full exhaust too. Looking forward to this bike. My first bike was DR100 and that thing was a hoot :lol3
  12. onaXR

onaXR Druid

Oddometer:
    Only if the S is a pre 03 they got the same suspenders 03 and up.
  13. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    + 2
    A slip on only changes the sound. You have to do the full system to get any HP boost. Also, e-model exhaust has different mounting where it goes behind the subframe as e-models have a different subframe. A friend and inmate here (buck nasty) has the full yosh on his s-model and got a decent HP boost (3-4hp) over stock once he rejetted the carb. FYI, the FCR will use more fuel than the stock CV but have a snappier response.
  14. Dualsport

Dualsport Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer:
    Cincinnati the best riding in the area, aint here
    Hey guys, I started selling sweetcheeks again.

They are available through www.sporttour.com

I don't have them on the web site yet, just call. 513.761-0936

They are also on our e-bay store.
  15. gearmaker

gearmaker UmDumChuck

Oddometer:
    Will I wreck my tires if I put ice studs in them? Are some tires better to stud?
  16. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
  17. gearmaker

gearmaker UmDumChuck

Oddometer:
  18. John in Seattle

John in Seattle KLRista

Oddometer:
    Greetings inmates!

I just scored a dual-sported 2004 DR-Z400E with the kickstart kit on it. It has an aftermarket Pro Circuit exhaust system that is too loud for me. Where I ride Loud Pipes Lose Rights . I also suffer from a bit of tinitus so just can't ride a loud bike.

I've considered fitting the Pro Circuit baffle but am not sure I want to spend the money on that only to find the bike is still too loud.

Another alternative might be to pick up a stock system plus cash in trade for this system. Not sure if the headpipe is stock making this a slip-on or if the headpipe is also aftermarket.

Maybe someone can look at the pics and tell me?

What do you DR-Z pilots suggest I do to muzzle this beast?

Pics here:
    https://johnbiccum.smugmug.com/gallery/6722741_e8vKQ#429275279_d97JZ
  19. John in Seattle

John in Seattle KLRista

Oddometer:
    Should I keep that or put the FCR back on? Whare are FCRs worth to DR-Z400S riders?
  20. Drizzt

Drizzt Ranger

Oddometer:
    To my untrained eye, that looks like the stock exhaust pipe with an aftermarket muffler. Others can help here, but I "think" that you can just slip on the stock muffler.