Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. No time now, as I am shipping on Monday am :( will take care of it in NZ or while I transit to NZ
  2. Radioman

Oddometer:
    The horses were headed to the barn :) We decided to leave Montevideo early to catch the 11:45 ship back to Buenos Aires.

[​IMG]

Beautiful Summer morning. Perfect riding weather, no a cloud in the sky, simple road back to Colonia and all the preparation for shipping, and some final enjoyment in Buenos Aires!

[​IMG]

Again, Love Uruguay and they also have free Moto passing of Paije (toll roads)

[​IMG]

Parked our bikes out in front of the ship terminal to change our tickets..... "Grande Motos"

[​IMG]

Then a quick check in and immigration out of Uruguay and into Argentina

[​IMG]

All strapped down for the 1 hour ship to BA

[​IMG]

Once off the ship in Argentina we needed to get our bike imported for the last time in South america!

[​IMG]

And it was the friendliest Aduana experience of the entire trip so far. Our Aduana Agent was very funny. He "loooves America" it is "exxxxxceeellllent" Venice Beach "Exxxxxccceeelllent" :lol3

[​IMG]

We had a great ride through Buenos Aires to get to the Apartment that we had rented. Have some great video of us enjoying the heavy traffic ..... and fun riding@! I Love it! Safety 3rd :D :evil ask Claude:evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can weave your way through traffic to the front where they have moto standing area right behind Pedestrian cross wakes. So very cool! Lovin it!

[​IMG]

There is also the reality of a big city which is the "slum" area just outside of town. Seen it very often, but in the heat and humidity it would be a hard place to live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It has been great riding with Claude. What is amazing is that as two totally different guys, meeting up and then riding for the past week. We had a great trip. We have very different outlooks, priorities and views on life. But we had a great time.

:wave Thanks Claude for the great time riding in Uruguay and into Brazil. Too short but great memories none the less!
  3. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Even out of US, I think that bike has a 2 year unlimited warranty (3 in US). No way a shock should be leaking at this low of a mileage.
  4. Radioman

Oddometer:
    It is another Date on my calendar. It marks 612 days on this trip, but much more importantly it is the two year Anniversary of my lovely wife, Chris passing away from Early Onset Alzheimer's Disease. She was only 54 years old :cry :cry :cry

I write this later in the day, as I have experienced a wave of emotions starting as soon as I awoke. I took a little time to look for a photo to post to honor the passing of my lovely wife. Shed a few tears for the loss of the love of my life, the plans we had for growing old together, dreams lost, but also my journey in life ahead of me. Someone wished me "peace" this morning, but I already have this in spades. Faith, Hope, Courage and Finishing Strong have been my watchwords for many years now. I do not confuse painful emotion and tears for anything other than what they are.

I had the honor and privilege of loving and being loved by Chris. I took care of her in her years of decline and she has made my life better in more ways than I can express. But Loss is painful. And I know that it is OK to express it in the ways that I feel it.

As I reflect back on my life with Chris, decidedly it was full of life.

From the day we met

[​IMG]

We truly had an amazing love story....

[​IMG]

and Marriage

[​IMG]

raising my step son in the process

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Her beautiful style and legs.... the joy she had in her career in fashion retail and helping others along the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Motorcycle rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then caring for her for over 5 years. The experience as a husband then caregiver including the most intimate daily parts of life like dressing, showering, toileting and ultimately loving on her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and down to her final days we shared LOVE for this I am a very fortunate Man.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then two years ago. She was gone. We "celebrated" her life together, to say goodbye.

[​IMG]

And I will spend a lifetime letting go of the woman that I loved so dearly. :cry :cry :cry

And I have appreciated so much kindness from people in this ADV community, (as well as family and friends), as I have shared my life and stories.

Simply have to say Thank You all for participating in my life!

[​IMG]
  5. MRED

MRED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank You for sharing the story of Chris.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Chris early on and watching you on the long path.
    Thanks for the privledge.

Don
  6. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Don. Appreciate you kind words. And I still love the Custom seat on both of my bikes that you made. Has made life on the road each day a pleasure!!

http://www.mredsmoto.com :deal
  7. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You not only inspire me to plan my next trip, but also make me not want to take my lovely bride of 26 years for granted. It looks like you and your wife lived a full life while together. You're a good man, and you certainly have a place to stay in Arizona next you're through.....

Peace and Godspeed!
  8. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have tears in my eyes reading again your story of love and sorrow. You make me realize every day how blessed I am with my wife of 40 years. I truly wish you peace. Of faith, hope, and love, you are the definition of love. Ride safe friend.
  9. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    This put tears in my eyes :cry
    You are a great man Mark, you have serve her well and I am sure she is in a great place.
    Take care and be safe.
  10. GoinPostal

GoinPostal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that beautiful and touching story. You are indeed a man among men.
  11. philincr

philincr n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing your story. You show how the so called adventure is not what percentage of the ride is on single track, how extreme the location or how fast or far you go. You are a great example of integrity, character and fortitude.

Good luck and be safe wherever you go from here.
  12. Retired-N-Roamin

Retired-N-Roamin Retired and Roamin

Oddometer:
    A few tears in my eyes doesn't compare to the torrents I suspect that came from yours as you wrote about your lovely wife.

In a way I'm on the opposite side. I have a debilitating kidney disease that has the potential to go from chronic and controllable to acute and out of control within a short time. I fear for my mate and what she may have to deal with if/when that occurs. Life is never easy is it?

My medical issue (and the fact I'll not have the opportunity to be so far from medical services in the years to come) - is just one reason I find your RR so compelling. That, and you choose to share with us much more than just a sterile been there - did that.

Since I'll (probably) not make any epic adventure or RTW rides like you and others here, I'm setting up for my own 'mini' adventures here and there. A few days, a fortnight or so 'out of touch' and that'll be enough to do more than sit in an arm chair and pretend.

Your chronicle is impetus for me (and I hope others too) to get off our ass and just git-r-dun!

So... Thanks. Just that, thanks for taking us along.

Be safe.

Leo
  13. oregoncoast

oregoncoast Smells like Bacon

Oddometer:
    No, Thank you Leo.
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :thumb could not have said it better myself!
  15. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to steal Radioman's thunder here, but....Leo, if you're ever in my neck of the woods, my wife and I would be pleased to put you up for a night or two. Ride safe and have as much fun as you can!
  16. Retired-N-Roamin

Retired-N-Roamin Retired and Roamin

Oddometer:
    Thanks one and all.

My wife is from Germany - though she hasn't lived there in 30 years - and we're thinking two or three summers 2-up through Europe's small roads and tall mountains, with some side trips to the various wine regions. Don't forget getting to 71ยบ N at Nordkapp. Maybe a summer to go kiss the Blarney Stone.

Here in the western US - no solid plans yet, but any would involve the coast, mountains and small roads. We'll see what shakes out.

Again, thanks for the acknowledgements and invitation.

Just had this thought... Isn't adventure where you find it? Sure there's a lot to be said for those grand vista's where the imprint of man is but a track in the dirt. I love those when and where I can find them. But it can be a grand adventure to discover the roads, tracks and trails just a few miles away from wherever we call home. It's just perspective and how we choose to see the world. For the able and capable I'll leave to them Siberia, the Gobi, Atacama and Cape York. For those of us that can't go there, I'll take a lesser adventure and marvel at the vista's none the less. We're all blessed to do what we are capable of. Ride on Radioman!

17. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Hey Radioman,
    Thanks for sharing the story about your wife. It really puts things in perspective when reading your travel stories. I wish you the best and will be following along!
    Lion
  18. lakota

lakota Geeser Supporter

Oddometer:
    got some strange looks here at work for the wet eyes after reading the story of your wife but I didn't care. It was worth it.
    Thanks for sharing the tale.
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Real Men and Real Adventurers can shed tears, and still be Tough :2cry :gdog
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Indeed for me the Adventure is in the entire experience of travel. I love riding my motorcycle Onroad and Offroad. But for me it is not about the most extreme single track I can find.... But about the people I meet and share this world with! :wink:

You would certainly be welcome in my home.... when I return (or if I do :lol3)