Los Angeles Dealers for Service

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by creator8, Mar 11, 2005.

1. creator8

creator8 Team Hollywood

Oddometer:
    I'm just about to go in for my overdue first service. I'm in Hollywood and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a dealer who really gives a crap about these bikes and knows whats up.

I bought my bike from Delamo but their size kind of puts me off. My bro bought his from Thousand Oaks and its a smaller dealer and the mechanic he spoke to when he picked his bike up seemed to know his stuff on the 950s. He even recommended against a valve adjustment at 600 miles since he felt the bikes are so understressed and they need a couple of thousand miles before its worth getting into it w/ them. Said to just give the bike an oil change and a once over before 1k miles and then do the valves at 2-3k miles.

I'm right between these two dealers and also have Berts, Valencia and Eric's fairly close.

I also use Rick Gero at Vance & Hines in Sunland for all of my other bikes (including KTM dirt bikes which he also rides) and he is a master but has no experience w/ the 950s though I think w/ service manual he'd soon get his head around it.

Any recommendations.
  2. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    I took mine to Malcom Smith's in Riverside for my 1st service. They work on the KTM team bikes. Seemed to do a good job on mine.
    -cp
  3. Mully

Mully Kineticist

Oddometer:
    I can *assure* you that valve clearances need checking at 600miles: I checked mine just to see where they were before taking it in (and to learn what shims were in there for future reference) and 7 of 8 were off with three tight. On average, it may be true that clearances are okay at 600mi, but if your bike is non-average, then what?

I've no rec for a shop. Frankly, I'm not impressed by what I've seen so far with KTM dealers' interest in and expertise on 950's in the OC area.....

mully
  4. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Michael Larkin is the service manager at Del Amo and I have gotten to know hime very well, he is honest. The head mechanic is Frank he is the only one that works on the LC8, he and Michael have gone to the school. Mine has had lots of things done to it including pulling the engine and I have had no problems with there work. They have gone to bat for me with KTM and I wouldn't recommend them if I didn't think they deserved it. Call Michael up and talk to him about the bike and what you expect from them.
  5. creator8

creator8 Team Hollywood

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation. Frank actually did the predelivery run through w/ me and he seemed like a good guy. I guess it makes sense for me to get it in w/ them.

About how much did you guys spend on your 600 mile service??

Thanks
  6. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think mine was about $325 and I had them change the coolant to Engine Ice at the time.
  7. sleipnir

sleipnir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a great subject and would be good to get some updated info on it - I would love a recommendation for a great mechanic for my 2010 990 adv R in the LA area (west side ideal but will travel :-).

There must be a great mechanic in the area that knows all there is to know about these bikes. Ideally I want to know my mechanic personally and be able to have a discussion with him about what needs doing and why. Just finished the labarstowvegas rally and the big girl is due for some TLC, she deserves the best after that performance - dayum these bikes are awesome :clap

Anyone?
  8. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    former Eric's mechanic, Bret is at the La Cresenta suspension shop.

I can't remember the name!:huh
  9. Dozer720

Dozer720 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Three Brothers in Costa Mesa.
  10. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    ESP, tell George I sent ya, he'll charge ya 2wice:lol3
  11. Kendrick

Kendrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the OC but:

Inside Line Moto
    Orange, CA

Matt and Tim are top notch technicians. My SE has seriously never ran better.
  12. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brett is meticulous BUT boy is he slow.

I hear good things about LIOR out in Corona. He quoted me around $500 for the 9K service - his shop rate is $70/hour. Plus, I believe he owns a 990 himself so you know he knows what he's doing. The only problem is that he is in the middle of nowhere.

P.M. me here - maybe we can convince him to pick our bikes up.
  13. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    Lior is the man (www.LiorsMotoRide.com). He knows KTMs and BMWs inside out. He will pick your bike, drop it off, give you a loner, etc. He will make you happy.
    He worked on my 990 couple months ago for the basic service, oil change, tires, chain, etc. Couldn't be happier. He will do the valve adjustment next month or so on my bike.
    He has a new 990 Baja and a 530EXC. So he know everything about those bikes. Just call and talk to him. He'll help you out.
    IF you want to go to a dealer, I believe they are all about the same, unless you have personal connections inside. Frank at Del Amo Motorsports of Long Beach worked on my bike until I finished my service plan (about 24K miles) and I had no problems.
  14. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    You spent time over at Del Amo Powersports, what are your thoughts on Fernando?
  15. FYYFF

FYYFF Forever young...

Oddometer:
    He is very good. He is one of handful Ducati Master Techs in the states. Also KTM factory trained tech. Advantage of dealers are they have all the back up from manufacturers. Technology, parts, knowledge, etc.
  16. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
  17. sleipnir

sleipnir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks all for chiming in, this is great info. I figure I'll try Bret out and see how it goes, he's the closest and even if he is slow I'm not in a great rush ;-)