650 GS won't start......

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Tebpac, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend has a 2011 650 GS that he purchased in late 2010. This year, we were finishing a ride and stopped at a buddies camp for grub. When we came out, the 650 would turn over but wouldn't start. Tried fresh gas. No go. It wouldn't even really try to start. Took it to the dealer. The checked the fuel system and felt it was bad gas that clogged the injectors. However, it happened again just recently on another planned ride. We rode about 90 miles and stopped to pick up another guy. Just before getting there, the bike stalled while in gear. He coasted it and it started up on the 3rd attempt. Stopped to pick up our other rider and the bike refused to start. Turned over everytime, but not a hint of it trying to go.........Are there any electrical issues out there for the 650, or other thoughts of what it might be. It now sits at the shop and they are looking deeper into it and contacting BMW....
  2. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the twin 650...yes...??? Have you tried Techron.....????? This is a known issue when the injectors gets clogged. There have also been a string of bad fuel pumps.... Look up " guzzimike" he just posted a pump thread. I would start with techron .... 1 oz per gallon, for a few tank fulls. Joel once said , that if the injectors are plugged bad, techron cannot help.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Erling is on target.

Did the dealer check for fault codes?
    If it is a fuel pump issue then sometimes a fault code is logged.

One (of the 2,587,943) interesting thing that Joel said a while back is that many times hard starting is caused by a battery/charging system that is not quite up to snuff. BMW runs the injectors at a reduced voltage, so if the system voltage is low to begin with then the injectors may not be firing well. He would commonly get no-start bikes that would start without issue if cranked over while attached to a battery charger.
    Since failed stators are another not uncommon issue on this bike I would check the charging system voltage.

Since the dealer has it .... Keep us posted.:wink:
  4. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks all....I'll let you know what the dealer thinks and I'll pass along the info!
  5. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with the owner. He said he has used Techron in 3 tankfuls with no change. Hi gut tells him it's the injectors and possible battery. He's going to ask the dealer to replace the injectors,battery and fuel pump since it 's still under warranty and see if that does it.
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the dealer will heed his advice.
  7. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, you can count on it...
  8. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL.........I'm sure he'll just set him up with a new bike for sure...........:lol3 Still waiting. He said they were waiting to hear from BMW.....Cricket...........cricket...........
  9. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spoke to my friend today. He said the dealership talked to BMW. Apparently they are going to replace the ECU and the fuel pump at no cost to him. They have had problems in the past with this and this is where they have started. Once they have been replaced, they will put some miles on the bike to see how it works and go from there........
  10. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Wow .... I'm surprised at the new ECU .... first I've heard of that one ......................... :huh
  11. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe he means the fuel pump controller.
    I have been trying to get a dud one to gut it and build my workaround cable but the local dealer has had to send every single one to Motorrad.
    Curious, no?
  12. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    MM:
    Yes ... fuel pump controller would make much more sense (well ... at least to me ...) :lol3

You may find this thread interesting:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=453119
  13. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    The price of that inspired me to roll my own, JR.
  14. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am 90% sure that your problem is just clogged injectors as ebrabaek says you will most likely need to have them removed and cleaned with a special tool for our micro mist injectors.
    In my first 1,000 miles with this bike I had it happen to me about a dozen times. the last 39,000 miles have been issue free with new injectors and regular fuel treatments. They cleaned the old injectors and I keep them as carry spares.
  15. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    :rofl

yeah ... I'm with you ... I used it more for "inspiration"
  16. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Do you think the 2nd set are a new design?
    Or just due to the fuel treatment?
  17. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just writing it the way he explained it to me., but yes, the fuel pump controller sounds right. Getting this second hand. I'll pass along the info on the injectors as well. Thanks
  18. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new injectors are the same design but us F800GS owners need to understand that with the micro mist injectors it is easy to clog them or restrict them enough that they wont start a bike after it was just running and still warmed up.
    The little aluminum oxide particles from our fuel pumps pass thru any filters but can bridge and trap in the micro injectors and this can clog fuel flow enough to prevent restarting. So they need cleaning if you use high ethanol content fuels like we have in the USA . The injector tapping trick with a wrench proves to be an effective restarting method that has worked for me many times. I think 2 stroke oil or other fuel additives that can clean and lubricate metal surfaces seem to work well for my injectors.
  19. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks Indy I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a design "enhancement" !

Advance Auto has a sale running right now - buy one bottle of Techron system cleaner @ regular price $13.xx for 20 oz,
    and get 2nd bottle for a buck... I've loaded the boat :lol3
  20. Tebpac

Tebpac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got another text from my friend. Apparently BMW (or the dealer) found low pressure to the injectors. Dealer will put some miles on the bike after replacing the fuel pump controller and pump. Injectors will be next if any issues.........