GPS for Android-based Smartphones

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GravelRider, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Mapfactor Navigator
    Navit

Those were the first 2 results from a Google search. The first one looks pretty good.
    Copilot looks pretty good too; I just wish they covered Mexico.

Edit: Just found another: Sygic. Fully offline and uses TomTom maps.
  2. gqelements

gqelements Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use Sygic on an S2 (mounted on the tripples via Ultimate Addons case/mount) and so far it worked great on over half dozen 2500-4000km trips...

I would suggest breaking the route into day trips and planning by selecting start/end points and then adding 'travel via' points (my routes aren't typically direct :) )....

Nice option (for road bikes) is ability to avoid dirt roads as part of route planning...
  3. mrphotoman

mrphotoman Long timer

Oddometer:
    sygic

4. rapidoxidationman

rapidoxidationman Easily trainable

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to load the CoPilot maps onto the android's SD card? The menu option doesn't seem to do anything and I want the whole North America map... more than the phone's onboard memory can take... :ear
  5. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    It didn't give me an option that I recall. It loaded the maps on the SD card by default. The US is about 1.2gb, so do it over a fast WiFi.
    I believe there is was an option to download the maps to a PC, then transfer them to the device. I'm not sure that is still possible.
  6. IdahoRenegade

IdahoRenegade Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been using and can recommend CoPilot live and iGO. Problem with CoPilot is verbosity level - its just keeps saying things over and over til you almost hate it. iGO allows setting of verbosity level in three steps from minimal to verbose.

Also suggest you get Waterproof Tough Case for your S3.

Also have tried Navitel, Route66, Sygic, Navigon - can not really recommend any of those. They are probably good but I did not really like any of them.

You have to edit configuration files (XML) manually and move maps over by copying them to SD card using either PC or Android's own file manager.

How to move CoPilot maps onto the SD card:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1439748
  8. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to pop back in and give a huge +1 to Sygic.

I got it installed with the Mexico maps (around 500mb) and I wasn't expecting miracles.

Not only does it show the interior roads in my little compound, it also has the tiny little village I use to test GPS maps. Garmin doesn't, and Google Navigation (which is a hacked copy that works here) is useless as there is no cell service within 20 miles of the place.

Routing is almost instant, and so far looks accurate and seems to offer the most practical path.

It's about $35 and looks to be worth every penny. I'll update this as I try it for real. If I had found out about this earlier I wouldn't have bought the Nuvi 500 a few weeks ago for $170.
  9. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sygic and Copilot seem to get good reviews. I liked iGo a lot but my understanding is that there is no Android version out yet - only IOS and Win CE. Personally the moment iGo bring out a commercially available Android version I'll jump in that direction.
  10. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hadn't checked back in on this thread in awhile. I ended up downloading the MapFactor Navigator since it was free. I'll give it a try and if I don't like it, I'll try Sygic next, as that seems to have really good reviews.

Thank you!! That's exactly what I have been looking for. I ended up buying a Ram Aqua Box for my S3 because I couldn't find any motorcycle mounted waterproof cases specifically made for the GS3. The Ram box seems like a good case, but it's really big, since it's a universal case. I'll probably hold off on buying this case, pending on how the Aqua box works out for me, but I'll keep the page bookmarked.
  11. FixerDave

FixerDave KLR650 - XR200R

Oddometer:
    iGO is there for Android... came with my CyberNav mini. Well, I don't know that it's on the market as I've got the apk and maps for it. I just dumped it on a new 10.2" Android tablet as a test. Works fine, though it doesn't use the whole screen. Not my favourite app, but it does work.

Me, I'm an Orux kind of guy. Custom maps rendered to tiles via Maperitive and converted to Orux by MOBAC. But, I want full control of how the map looks and what's on it. I have no interest in routing. The OP was all about routing on existing roads. More like iGO.

Definitely, without a doubt, iGO at least exists and is functional in Android. Time to jump? :wink:

David...
  12. abhibeckert

abhibeckert Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't let that hold you back. Sygic is great, in my opinion better than iGo.

The two apps are certainly close enough you would be happy with either one. Sygic is about half the price as well. :thumb
  13. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:

Hey Bud, have you gotten some more hands on with the app? Interested in the assessment of MX maps, routing and POI's etc.
  14. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Absolutely faultless so far. Turn-by-turn is the best I've ever used and so far we haven't been able to find a town or road it doesn't have. I don't even have to look at the phone (sunlight on the screen is the big short-coming of using phones as Sat Navs) and the voice directions are enough. Huge battery savings that way too.

Haven't tried looking for POI's yet, but if you tap the screen it automatically shows the 5 or so nearest gas stations. It has a huge array of customization options too. Makes my Nuvi 500 look like it was designed for pre-schoolers.

One thing I do need to do is find out if will accept custom route uploads. That would make it spectacular.
  15. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:

you mean upload an external gpx?
  16. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    I just stopped being lazy and looked it up. You can import POI's but not routes. They say they are planning to add that feature.
  17. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    An update: I tried downloading the free Mapfactor Navigator app, but I could never get it to install. I tried several times and it just never worked. So, I tried the free trial of Sygic and was hooked! I bought the full version after the trial ran out.
  18. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about Sygic but iGo and Copilot are able to import routes. You just have to put right route file to right folder for program to recognize it.
  19. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    OSMand will display any GPX track on the map. You don't get spoken directions, just the track overlay, which is good for me. You can generate the tracks with number of programs on the PC.
  20. syzygy9

syzygy9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    iGo Primo for Android is ONLY available for OEMs, it cannot be purchased as an app for an Android OS . . . although there are a few pirate copies floating around the net.

The problem you are having with your OEM version is that the screen sizes are different; the OEM version you are "copying" onto another device is not configured for the screen size of the Android device you have copied it to . . . . and there is no capability to adjust the screen size in the OEM version (hardwired setting for obvious reasons). There are some workarounds on the net.

I am waiting for iGo to see the light and release as an app for Android (it can be purchased as an app for IOS and Win CE).