New Owners - Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighFive, Nov 22, 2010.

1. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    (the plug my index finger is pointing at)
    this is the 'loose' or rather, a disconnected plug behind the engine that i was talking about. noticed it just recently after 2years...:evil
    viewed from the left side of the bike.

any ideas as to what this plug does?

my bike still fires up and moves...
  2. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    My stupid question is how does one change grips when they are heated? Mine are wearing out....and I would like to replace the stock grips with one's a little wider but how do I safely remove them when there are heated elements underneath?
  3. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Very carefully. :lol3 I'm about to find out, as I have same problem. I'm going to slice the original hot-hand grips off with a razor blade and carefully peel it off the heating element. It should be doable, as the grips should not be glued to the heating element. And that has been confirmed in other Threads about this same issue....i.e. others have done this successfully.

Then, I'll probably tape each end of the heating grid with a little wrap of electrical tape...to help keep it secure when sliding on my new Progrips. I'll probably lube my new grips with some Windex to help it slide over....which will evaporate soon enough.

Gonna tackle it this weekend.

HF :thumbup
    motocentric likes this.
  4. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Have you heard of grip puppies?
    http://www.casporttouring.com/cst/motorcycles/GRIPPUP.html
    They slide over your stock grips.
    That may be a better/cheaper/faster solution.
  5. devo2002

devo2002 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is

1. FF
    2. Troll (motorcycle sense)
  6. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    This looks like a troll, but given the thread it's in, I'll bite:

FF = F*ck face, a term of endearment :freaky

Troll = lobbing out a loaded question or statement to lure a swarm of responses. "You shouldn't use the front brake in the dirt," is a good example. Also, a plastic doll with bright hair.
  7. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I thought FF was "fucking fuck(er)" as in the FYYFF but I guess it comes to the same connotation in the end... but yes, among ADV riders it is a term of endearment.
  8. wponder

wponder Wendell

Oddometer:
    I had excellent results on my oil head with compressed air. Just lift the outside edge a little and move the hose nozzle around the circumference of the grip until you work it loose. Mine came off easily.

Good luck,
    Wendell
  9. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    could it be the side-stand plug? I know the plug is behind the engine, and nowhere near the sidestand itself, and it's about the same size...
    People disconnect it if/when it gives problems, well, they bypass it, since side-stand switches are known to be temperemental...

when they fail, you can start the bike, but as soon as you engage gear, the bike cuts out.
    Cheers
  10. yellow zebra

yellow zebra Flying Brick

Oddometer:
    unsure why a through-bolt on lLEFT side only, but when I first got my 800GS, I found the indicator switches poorly thought out AND poorly placed...
    1. Poorly thought out: 3 different thumb-actions to activate and cancel the indicators! (My Dakar was MUCH more intuitive, keeping the throttle hand free)
    2. I felt the indicator buttons were two far UNDER the h/bar, so decided to ROTATE the housings, until I discovered that through-bolt!
    I persevered, and now it's a non-issue!
    Still, would like a future bike to revert to ONE swtich on left hand grip.
    Cheers
  11. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    so if i see my plug it means my side stand switch is cut off?

i doubt it. doesnt look like a side stand related plug..

but thanks for the reply man... =)
    any ideas from others?
  12. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have ABS on that ride? It may be an extra connector used for the ABS and if you've not got that option... just a guess.
  13. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    How do you remove the front wheel without removing the calipers?
    What is the technique?:ear
  14. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's enough flex in the fender that you can twist the fork legs to the side enough to clear the tire.
  15. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    so just pull the forks apart while dropping the wheel?
  16. FiveG

FiveG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm strongly considering getting a 800GS to supplement my Feejer for rides where there will be a fair amount of dirt/gravel or (someday) worse.

How are the OEM tires for use on dirt/gravel? What I'm not looking to buy is a bike that doesn't like nonasphalt the same way my Feejer doesn't like nonasphalt, but by the same token, this bike will be majority asphalt, just with more dirt-ish stuff thrown in.

Also, if someone knows a copyeditor who can re-write my stuff, I'd appreciate it.
  17. FiveG

FiveG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Is it advisable for the 800GS?
    2. If so, where can you get them? Local dealer's bikes didn't have them and when we looked in catalog, they weren't listed.
  18. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Hey FiveG,

Stock tires were Pirelli Scorpions on mine. They are predominantly made for street. I got by ok with it on dirt roads....no problem for me. But it's recommended to switch to knobbies for most dirt riding. Those Scorpions were indeed mighty nice on the asphalt, though.

Centerstand is very good thing on F800. Available in Aftermarket at places like Twisted Throttle or Touratech.

HF
  19. Dragoon74

Dragoon74 Lurker

Oddometer:
    So I have a whopping 458 miles on my new uber (read Lava) fast '11 F8GS and I felt something new today while coming to a, some-what, rapid stop. My rear brake lever felt as if it were pulsing or jumping under my foot. Is this a result of the ABS kicking in or indicative of something else? This is only my second bike and my first with ABS, I eagerly await the collective FF's sage advice.......:ear
  20. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    that would be your ABS....:wink: