The 1200 Tiger Explorer Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by dutchie, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Explorer or Explorer/XC

1. Explorer

2. Explorer/xc

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine since May and haven't had any trouble at all with it. I did put on a Scorpion aftermarket can. It weighs a lot less and I like the sound a lot better. The OE can sounds great on the road, but when tooling around town with it, it really sounded anemic IMO. Scorpion claims an additional 6 hp and some additional torque, but it's hard to tell when she's already putting out 135 ponies.

I'm not sure there's anyplace else to strip weight without taking away the purpose of having a bike like this. It's already got more horsepower than the average Joe can handle off road... The 800XC is much more capable for serious offroading.

It's my 1st Triumph also. After owning several Kaws, Zukes, Yammys, and Hondas all I can say is World Class.
  2. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    How on earth do you get the dealer to adjust valves under warranty, especially at 16k miles? Was there something that prompted you to bring the bike in at that mileage? To me the valve adjustment is a known upfront item that will need to be dealt with. Or is it expected that they just be checked and if they need adjusting then that would be a warranty item. I would assume the labor effort involved in checking or adjusting would be similar.

Is the tank removal and air filter change that much of a pain? Is it like the 800 XC where the air filter is stuffed into a spot it barely fits into? Anyone have any pictures of where the air filter sits?
  3. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    I had concerns about engine noise, dealer, at my request contacted Triumph USA and they authorized to remove the head cover and adjust valves and timing. All three exhaust valve tappet shims were replaced.

I don't thing the air filter change is a pain, but tank removal with all the draining, pinching and stuff...

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer
  4. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    Hello all

I had about 500 km on a black TEX this weekend, courtesy of my (very good) local dealer.

Great bike.

I will be buying one this week.

The only things that annoy me:

- The screen - the bike had the factory tall screen. I'm 5' 10", average build, and the only position that was useable was full down - full up and in the middle were just awful - too much buffeting.

- The bars are about an inch (25mm) too wide.

The screen is easy fixed with a Madstad.

I was wondering if any of you TEX owners have either chopped your bars down, or replaced them with narrower ones?

Thanks.
  5. Pacific

Pacific Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are certainly other bars that will fit. I haven't had the grips off to see where the wires route, but that would be the only concern about shortening or replacing them. Heated grip electrics go through the wires, and by all reports, it's a bear of a job. My 800XC bars were drilled to keep the housings in place. Measure twice, cut once!
  6. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    are you looking for a cheaper coolant? If your going to spend that much money on a bike, shouldn't you keep good it running with the best stuff?
  7. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No big savings to be made on this. Put short: I wouldn't mess around with it. But that's just my 0.02.
  8. Big Jon

Big Jon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty cheap, but am still sticking with what Trump suggests...
  9. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    I rode it again this morning back to the dealers.

The bars aren't that bad...you can get used to them...
  10. iddy

iddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Zerex G-05 is a Hoat antifreeze it would be the same formula as Triumph Hoat do not confuse Hoat with Oat though cause that is bad. Will make jelly if mixed.
  11. snakeroll

snakeroll n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'm not trying to go cheap but just looking for options if the need would arise. The OAT and HOAT concepts are new to me and I was trying to get a "feel" for the experiences you guys may have had. Thankyou for your replies. I would enjoy any other information, as well.
  12. snakeroll

snakeroll n00b

Oddometer:
    Iddy,
    Your reply was very interesting to me. So you cannot mix the HOAT and OAT?
  13. SkiFastBadly

SkiFastBadly A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer:
    NO, and also keep the little lambs away from the ivy.
  14. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    With regard to aux lights what are they really there for? I try like hell to not ride at night so in my case I would assume that the aux lights were there to get you noticed. What do you all say?

Of those of you that have the Triumph aux lights/fog lights, do you like them and are they worth the price. I like the idea of just having them plug right in.
  15. Pacific

Pacific Left Coast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have aux lights on all my bikes. Too many deer in my area to ride at night. I have them solely to make me a little more conspicuous. They work, too, as does the bright TEx headlight. I don't rely on them, but they don't hurt.

I ordered PIAA's, then returned them and went with the (slightly more expensive) OEM lights because of the simplicity of installation.
  16. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    I like my OEM too... They don't light as far as the headlights but wide and very visible from distance in day and night time

[​IMG]

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer
  17. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    How are you guys powering your auxiliaries like powerlet sockets or gps units? Have you added a fuse block and then wired from there? Is there a good way to tie into the existing electrical system or do you just run a lead directly from the battery to a fuse block or similar device?
  18. ZZ4Blazer

ZZ4Blazer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Other than the one factory installed? There's a spot for one under the rear seat. I believe there's a wiring plug for that already. And that's keyed hot.. Not constant like the one on the tank.
  19. gregdee

gregdee Motocampist

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with it yet. Working on a deal with my "deal-er" right now. Just trying to figure out what I should ask for. Sounds like there are two pre-installed powerlets already? Cool. I suppose the tank will still need to come off to run power for a GPS unit though, eh?
  20. Voluhzia

Voluhzia iExplorer

Oddometer:
    OEMs are plug and play - all wired. Just install, thread the wires to the plug.

There are two plugs under rear rack, one is key hot for top box cigarette socket and the other one is engine run hot for aux socket. There is hole on the left side for it.

Facebook
    Nova Scotia on Explorer