San Francisco 6 Days Late April- Looking to rent/ride

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by strongleftleg, Jan 29, 2013.

1. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

My wife and I will be celebrating our 10-year anniversary in San Francisco for 6 days April 24-29th. I'm an accomplished street/dirt rider looking for advice on the best place to rent either a 2-up capable dual sport or a 2-up road bike e.g. Versys.
    Looking to do a couple day rides in the area, nothing too extreme off-road. GPS tracks are very welcome as is advice on general areas to ride/visit, must see spots, etc. I'm new to the area, neither my wife or myself have been in the bay area before.

Thanks! :freaky
  2. vaara

vaara Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.dubbelju.com

Plenty of 2-up friendly bikes, from V-Stroms and Versyseses to R1200GSs and RTs, and a Super Tenere and a Multistrada even -- but they can't be taken off-road, at least not without invalidating your rental contract.

The only other moto rental shop in SF is Eagle Rider, but they mostly rent Harleys©®™. I think there's one down on the Peninsula and another way out in Concord.

There are lots of great day rides available in the area. If you're based in SF, you have 3 choices:

south (92/35/Alice's/84/Pescadero/9/236 etc)
    north (Lucas Valley Rd/Point Reyes/Marshall/Cazadero and/or Highway 1 all the way to Stewarts Point/Skaggs Springs if you're feeling really adventurous)
    and east (Mt Hamilton/Mines Rd/The Junction/Vasco/Marsh Creek or Morgan Territory/ Mt Diablo/Palomares)

Late April can still be iffy, weather-wise, but odds are it'll be very nice.

I don't do that newfangled GPS track schtuff, but I'm sure someone can help you out.

Oh, and happy anniversary.
  3. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I echo what Varra said. I have not rented there, but one of their bikes. Nice people.
  4. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    route66moto.com San Francisco CA/ Austin, Texas
    I can help ya
    I have my own touring biz and know eaglerider and Wolfgang at w
    ER has some nice bmw rt,gs,gt ...goldwings, STs etc
    they can pick you up from/to airport for free.
    Hotel to them too.
    I can be your local guide too.
  5. boney

boney Ride > Post

Oddometer:
    There is a ton of great riding in the area. My suggestion would be to buy the Mad Map for the area and pick a couple of routes. Maybe even link one or two each day.
  6. Bird in Hand

Bird in Hand n00b

Oddometer:
    delete
  7. strongleftleg

strongleftleg Party Guy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the advice!
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    vaara's suggestions are really good rides that are short and will keep you in the Bay Area proper.

Expanding on those:

North: The Napa and Sonoma wine country areas have some great riding, and of course wine. All of the little roads that go east-west between those areas are nice country roads with little boutique wineries. There are also some bigger wineries with castle tours, picnic areas, and spas. A little further east from Napa will take you to rolling hills around Lake Berryessa.

East: if you want a longer trip, you could venture out to Highway 49 to see the Gold Country. Hwy 49 is below the snow line, and has lots of little historic towns like Placerville, Auburn, and Sonora. Yosemite and Lake Tahoe are in that area too.

South: For another long ride, you could head south to Monterey, Carmel, and the incredible cliffs of Big Sur where you are literally riding along the cliff's edge 100's of feet above the ocean. There are some cool tide pools you can stop along too.

In San Francisco itself, you could ride down the flower lined Lombard Street, which is supposed to be the most curvy road in the world. That will take all of 5 minutes, but is one of those must see things. It is a one way street going downhill through the 5 mph curves. Tell her you wanted to get her some flowers just before you turn onto the street, it will be all romantic and stuff.

Happy anniversary!
  9. ADWrider

ADWrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey LeDakaR,

PM sent. I'm thinking about a trip out west as well, looked at the ER & W sites, if you have some more info I'd love to discuss.

thanks.
  10. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
  11. LeDakaR!

LeDakaR! Banned

Oddometer:
    route66moto.com San Francisco CA/ Austin, Texas
    Pm replied I work with all of them
    I would be so happy to be your local contact and help you or anyone else on adv
  12. MMMOTORCYCLE

MMMOTORCYCLE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need a locals opinion on some realistic traffic and drive times.

1. Getting out of SanFran on a Friday afternoon (actually twice), we are headed north from the airport to Muir Woods, then back south to Pacifica.

2. Pacifica south to Morro Bay area along Hwy1...about

Thanks
    Mike
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That should not be a big deal. By 3 pm, traffic leaving the Bay Area will get heavy, but that will be northbound Golden Gate Bridge, and eastbound on the others heaving for the Central Valley. After your trip to Muir Woods, traffic should be light heading south on the Golden Gate. You will need to pre-pay the toll heading south, though. If you look online, there are a few places in the City where you can do it in person, or pay online. I think it is a PITA, but you can't fight city hall.

If you are not familiar with SF driving, it will be pretty hectic just getting across town. It can be fun, but watch out for crazy drivers and tourists who make last minute decisions.

Check out the Pelican Inn in Muir Woods. It is a B&B with a little English pub downstairs.
  14. MMMOTORCYCLE

MMMOTORCYCLE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    excellent, thanks for the info
  15. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI... Muir Beach (but not nearby Muir Woods) parking lot closed July 8-November 2013
    Muir Beach parking lot will be closed from July 8-November 2013 due to construction. Restrooms and parking will not be available at Muir Beach during this period. Pacific Way is closed except to residents. Check back for updates or call (415)561-3054 More »