Pioneer Fall Ride (Harrodsburg KY)

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by markdvk, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jeff@TheQuadShop

Jeff@TheQuadShop TAT survivor, TOI T1 finisher

Oddometer:
    Count me in! :clap
  2. markdvk

markdvk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GPS data for this ride has been posted at
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22439304#post22439304

If you download the data, please note the difference between street / dirt and whether you want track data or route data.

I also have a favor to ask. If you download the data, would you tell me which GPS receiver you will be using. I've made concessions for older units that have a limit on track points. But if nobody is using one of those, it would be easier for myself and users if I don't have to do that.
  3. markdvk

markdvk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another favor to ask. If any of you have a SPOT transceiver that we could track during the ride, I'd like the link for it.

And if any of you run a GoPro, I'd really love some video from the ride. But if you do, don't bother turning it on until you reach Lancaster. If you want to turn it on and forget it, wait until you're about to board the ferry.

And of course I want PHOTOS! Many thanks to those who provided some from last spring. I may be able to take some myself but I'm not sure at this point.
  4. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Mark I have downloaded the files. I've got a Garmin 2720 and it will do tracks or routes. I prefer tracks because they never change. When I get a chance I'll take a look at the files and upload them to the unit.

Also I will have a spot device up and running. When I get it set up I'll post back here.

Thanks for setting all this up.

John
  5. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark I just downloaded and installed the tracks to my trusty old Garmin ETrex Vista HCX and they are PERFECT because you evidently filtered the points to less than 500 like my unit likes! Thanks! Awesome job man, can't wait.

Unfortunately, I think the weather gods are gonna screw with us this Saturday as they are calling for a pretty good shot of rain. I know that we can't go trusting these weather folks but will this event RAIN OUT???

Of course if Sunday is nice...???
  6. mbabc

mbabc Journeyman Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Hey Mark,
    I'm a 'no go' for Saturday. Burned up too much vacation time (I'm a Saturday wage slave) but might run it this Wednesday or even the following Sunday. The tracks look great!!

Thanks for all the hard work!
  7. KYwoodsrider

KYwoodsrider Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Oddometer:
    Mark
    I plan to be there. I'll be riding a DR650 and will probably do the street route
  8. markdvk

markdvk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark,

Send me a pm after you ride if you ride Wednesday

Mark
  9. mbabc

Oddometer:
    Sure will, probably drop by the dealership afterwards. I'll keep my stopwatch going too.
  10. Crossedxsparrow

Crossedxsparrow n00b

Oddometer:
    A friend and I will be joining from so Indiana and Louisville. Very excited for the ride.
  11. Mikasa67

Mikasa67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Count one more in from SE KY..
  12. markdvk

markdvk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

A comment I received today on the phone about the ride prompted me to write this.

Don't put too much hope in experiencing a lot of technical dirt riding. There are 2 sections that involv dirt/rock/creek beds. Neither are very long or technical. Ground clearance may be an issue for the big bikes like the Yamaha Super Tenere or BMW GS. There are 2 creek crossings, a "ford" across another creek and a gravel road with a nice environment. Not counting the gravel, there might be 2 miles of real off road. It's nothing like a section of an enduro or anything that intense but still a pretty interesting route through some unique places.

Many of the paved roads will satisfy someone from an earlier ride that said it's "like a trail ride for your street bike".

Regarding weather, the dirt route would very likely be impassible if it rains much this week. As far as a rain date, probably 2 weeks later but the roads will be lying there all the time and the gps data will probably still be valid so it can be ridden any time. If the forecast the day before is calling for nothing more than scattered showers, we'll still have food available at 3:30-5:00pm.
  13. tonusmaximus

tonusmaximus maximus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im in also if weather permits. Ill be in Richmond over the weekend and looking to ride

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
  14. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
  15. RoadDad

RoadDad n13ub Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone going to be in Harrodsburg Friday and/or Saturday night. Looking for someone to split a motel room. Plan on arriving late afternoon Friday and leaving early Sunday
  16. mbabc

Oddometer:
    Rode the paved tracks today...total blast guys! Took me about 6 hours with one 30 minute lunch break and several shorter stops. I used the published tracks and they worked great on my gps. As Mark said, about 170 miles or so.

Here's a few pics...

Mark mentioned this sign just EAST of Lancaster...nothing to do with our routes.

[​IMG]

Couple things to watch out for if you're cooking around a curve on these back roads. It's Black walnut and Osage orange season. You don't want to roll over one of these things at a lean. They were everywhere...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great riding today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saw a couple of these official looking signs, can someone 'splain them to me??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big scooters on the Valley View ferry.

[​IMG]

Very neat road. You can figure out what kind of 'road' it used to be.

[​IMG]

This was the narrowest paved road I've ever been on. My mirrors were almost hitting the brush on both sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of fast sweepers too.

[​IMG]

Great layout work Mark! Wish I could have joined the group Saturday and you folks have fun, I sure did!
  17. riderIN

riderIN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should be a good one,but I won't be able to make it.:cry.
    Have fun everybody and Be Safe!
  18. markdvk

markdvk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the hedge apples and walnuts. You can thank Ahilis for 90% of the scouting and mapping of the route.

I was glad to see you riding from the data today. It's good to have someone proof ride it.

Maybe we'll see you in April for the next ride. Are you planning another Ice Breaker?
  19. KTMmer950

KTMmer950 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hay RoadDad, OBD and WRJim are staying in Danville Friday night and Jim has a friend that has a room also. I will call him tomorrow and find out if he wants a roommate or you could stay with us if you don't mind a roll-away. We are planning on going to Eddie Montgomery Steakhouse Friday night. If you have never been there it is very cool.
  20. AndrewTucker23

AndrewTucker23 What was I doing?

Oddometer:
    Sorry man but last I heard the steak house was closed. :-(