Best helmet, when wearing prescription glasses

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by SquidRavioli, Dec 13, 2012.

1. SquidRavioli

SquidRavioli Beer Snob

Oddometer:
    Hi all! I need some guidance for purchasing my next helmet. I truly need to wear my glasses when riding / driving. I currently wear a SPARX brand full-faced helmet, it does not allow me to wear my glasses. What is a great full faced helmet to purchase that will comfortably allow for glasses? I would like to have a dual sport helmet but not necessary as I ride 99% on the street (I like the style). I want to stay under $500.

Cheers
  2. Ape76

Ape76 Gear whore

Oddometer:
    I have a Sparx Stryder as well and have been able to fit my glasses in with some tinkering. I find most "touring" oriented helmets to fit glasses comfortably (Arai & Shoei) based on my intermediate oval fit. I know you aren't looking at those particular lids so focus on non "race" oriented ones. Try different ones locally if you can or just grab a deal on the forum...
  3. chollo9

chollo9 Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer:
    AGV AX8 Dual Evo works fine with glasses. Mine are wire frames/temples. They fit great in my fully dirt AGV too.
  4. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always worn modular helmets because of my glasses - I can take them on/off without taking my glasses off after rotating the chin up. For $500, there are plenty of decent helmet companies out there for that price range. HJC, Scorpion, Nolan, etc. (I'm currently trying to get a new one too). For dual sport helmets though, I looked at some, but I just didn't like them because I still had to take my glasses off to get them over my head. I'd actually be interested if there are some out there that you find that allow you to take on/off where you don't have to remove glasses. The other reason I've always opted for standard full face is because I can the integrated sun visor nowadays - with that, I don't have to stop and put my prescription sunglasses on. I can just flip the switch and I'm good to go.
  5. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on modulars. I've had no trouble wearing specs with Shoei Multitec or HJC Symax II.
  6. mrdelmonti

mrdelmonti n00b

Oddometer:
    Arai helmets have always been the best for me in terms of accommodating my glasses, they have wide cut out in the foam to stop it form forcing the arms into your head.
  7. GMess

GMess Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +2 on the Shoei Multitec. Doubt you'd find it under $500 though.
  8. tattoogunman

tattoogunman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The HJC Symax is on my short list right now, fit good and I can get it for under $300 online.
  9. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a few helmets and I can wear glasses fine with all of them. Two are modular and I can leave the glasses on with the Nolan N103 when I put it on and take it off. However my new Shoei Neotec is too stiff in the cheek area and I can't put it on without dislodging my glasses. I can take it off just fine though. The other helmets are a Shoei Qwest and Hornet.
  10. gspdbill

gspdbill noobie allover again

Oddometer:
    Loved my HJC Symax for many years, great helmet and a great price. Now that I'm getting into DS riding I'm wearing a Shoei Hornet DS and just have to put up with removing the glasses when putting the helmet on.
  11. Joe3

Joe3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always take your helmet with you when you go to buy glasses. Always wear your glasses when you go buy a helmet. Helps keep everything compatible.
  12. Schnickelfritz

Schnickelfritz pick, grin, repeat

Oddometer:
    Yeah, try modular. I use a Nolan 103 modular and I can easily spread the ears enough to don and doff my helmet without removing my glasses. The Nolan also has an integrated sun visor inside the main visor. My medium 103 is larger overall and slightly heavier than my medium Shoei RF1100 (a pretty standard full-face), but the comfort and convenience make up for that. I've also used AGV's Miglia. It works for me, too, but I like the Nolan better.
  13. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Both my Nolan n90 and Arai XD3 allow space for eye and sunglasses. My XD even let's me wear Oakley Half Jackets and the ear pieces on those bow out quit a but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    I put a little bit of electrical tape on the pads so the arms of my glasses slide into the helmet easily. I don't feel the tape against my skin.

And yeah, bring your helmet with you when you buy the glasses. The guy at Target Optical no longer thinks it's weird.
  15. Voidrider

Voidrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have always found the chin strap on Nolans to be placed so far back that I feel they are choking me. I have that they otherwise fit, but the strap placement is totally uncomfortable to me. Its odd as no other brand I have tried causes that discomfort.

I have been shopping modulars for a while. I seem to have a Shoei head, as Arai and Schuberth don't seen to be the right shape.

Recently I went to a fairly upscale Triumph/Ducati/BMW dealer with whom I have had good gear experiences. They were pretty excited to be offering LS2 modular helmets. I had seen the brand before at a local motorcycle dealer who usually sells cheap stuff and sort of discounted them out of hand. But seeing it at a rather upscale place made me reconsider.

Apparently they have two main models, the "entry level" one tends to go for about $180, the nicer model for more, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

The one I handled weighed very closely to the Shoei Neotec, and seemed pretty nice, but I haven't had a chance to check out one of the nicer models. The websites I have checked out are nearly useless.

Definitely tired of the glasses- helmet- visor dance at various stops.
  16. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Little short for a Stormtrooper

Oddometer:
    I wear specs when I ride and have great luck with my Nolan N43e Trilogy
  17. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:
    My Neotec does the job for me. Have to take my glasses off and put them back on but no biggie :dunno
  18. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Shoei MultiTec and Arai XD-3 are no problem with glasses for me. Just need to remember remove them before taking off the Arai ... :deal
  19. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the HJC helmets seem to be glasses friendly.

Pete
  20. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I too must wear glasses for all things. (Got to love far-sighted and astigmatism.) Anyway, I use the Scorpion 700 full face series with my glasses and it works with no problem. I have also used HJC as well.