Laminar Lip Mounting on GSA screen

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CaptainMorgan, Mar 26, 2008.

1. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully this won't get moved to quick to windscreen facts...

Comments from anyone on where you mounted your lip.... really low or really high... I have mine taped on right now and I'm kinda thinking as high as I can get it..... just some feedback. 1200 gsa

capt
  2. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got mine about 1 1/2 inches above the OEM and it seems to work fine. Make sure you really clean (alcohol) the OEM shield where you attach the little Dual Lock circles or they'll come off. Don't try to remove the LL for a couple days after attaching it in order to let the adheisive really cure and then I found an icepick did the job fine without hurting the Dual Lock. Now I keep a small screwdriver modified to be an ice pick in my tankbag.
  3. CaptainMorgan

Oddometer:
    John, how did you get to mount it so low.... if I were to mount it at 1 1/2 the bottom duo lock would be on the curve of the shield.... did you bend the lip more to get it low mounted.

capt

any pics? again this is on a 1200 adv screen.
  4. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Capt, I put the lower mounting discs right on the edge of the curve on the OEM windshield. I just measured it and it results in the top center of the LL being 1 3/4 inch above the OEM shield. It's as low as I could get it without relocating the lower mounting discs on the LL itself. The result was great for me. As I mentioned, I take it off when riding dirt because my focal point is usually much closer to the bike and I don't want to look through it with double curves. The ice pick removal tool inserted in the middle of the Dual Lock one at a time does the removal nicely.
  5. CaptainMorgan

Oddometer:
    Thanks John... I can get to 1 3/4 also above stock. How tall are you by the way?

I'm planning on riding again in the morning with it the low position (held with tap) then I'll take back out with it in the high again and see what it does.

Everyone keeps suggestion that the higher you put it up the less effective it is.... but I dunno..
  6. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    First of all the Laminar LIP is not a windshield extension. So don't mount it as one, you will not be happy with the results.

The Laminar LIP is actually an inverted airfoil.

What you want is 1-1 1/2 inches sticking up over the top of your windshield. This measurment can vary a little, but you really need the LIP to overlap the windshield for it to work properly. The space between the two creates a high pressure zone. Trapping the air and smoothing out the airflow and sending it up higher as it exits the two.

http://www.laminarlip.com/howwork.php

I've known Andy at Laminar for years and he'll tell you the samething.

Everyone seems to think taller is better and tries to use the LIP as an extension, WRONG! Once again, this isn't how the LIP works. I have been running a LIP on all my bikes for years and have seen many make the same mistake. Once I got them to move it to where it should be they were all very pleased with the results.

If you've got Tobinators, even better. You'll want the top of the windshield tilted back closer to you. Standing it up straight give the air more time to create turbulance. Bringing everything back closer doesn't give it time to get mixed up causing turbulance.
  7. CaptainMorgan

Oddometer:
    Keith, I appreciate the info... I talked with someone at Laminar yesterday when it showed up in the mail at my house... and he stated lower is better. Difference is on a 07 gsa screen they have the (well not flat screen) so the lowest you can get is about 1 3/4 over stock... impossible to go any lower or the little duo lock would be right on the screen ridge. The lip I received I think is a new version that only has 2 duo locks on each side... not the 4 on each side.

So I'm going to tape on in the morning and try it as low as I can go and then adjust the screen accordingly to see if I can find some type of Nirvana.

I did take a quick spin with it on yesterday... and my first impression was ok but not great yet. I will say this... it is better than the TT spoiler I had on it... compared the the big boy CB screen??? CB screen has less wind noise compared to the lip but the buffeting was worse on the CB. I know that's the point with the lip is to not reduce wind noise but reduce the buffeting... just saying.
    Capt.
  8. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    narrow deflector used 3 spots of dual lock.
    Then made a taller version, used 4 spots.
    Now a taller and wider version using 5 spots of duallock, works well for my 6'4" height
  9. rsimpson

rsimpson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'4. Stock GSA seat in low positon on the rear setting and high position in the front. Looks to be about 1-3/4 inches above the windscreen. Windscreen adjusted one tick below most upright seems to work best for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good post and point taken.

I'm using a Lip on the stock screen of my standard 12GS and the results are fine but I'm tempted to mount it higher. When I duck down a couple of inches lower everything gets real quiet....
  11. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'10" but I have short legs so my "sitting height" is probably similar to about 6'.
  12. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some already said this, but once again, I will emphasize. Wait a day or two for the glue behind the Dual Mounts to cure. Instead of NOT riding the cycle, this is a no brainer, line everything up and don't put the lip on for a day or two.

BTW, you also got good advice on getting the surfaces apart. A small pen knife works ok too, but don't try to pull the surfaces apart at 90 degrees. You are actually trying to break the seal between the two 'pads' so pulling apart is easier (do one at a time) and not weaken the glue.
  13. CaptainMorgan

Oddometer:
    dlew question.... is it quieter becuase you are ducking down or is it quieter because when you duck down you are actually moving forward as you lean down therefore closing the gap between the screen and your head...

just curious.

capt

14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Good advice John.:thumb

Also remember that Duel Lock gets progressively weaker the more times you separate it, so keep the installations and removals to a minimum, or replace the Duel Lock regularly!

Jim :brow
  15. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hey cap,

ah, good point. i'll do some experimentation and report back. if it is because i'm moving forward then there's a good argument for tipping the screen back.

stay tuned.

dlew
  16. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd hate to think of the dual lock failing at 100 mph. :yikes Has anyone with a lip experienced it comeing off at speed?. Maybe add some dual lock on top of what is supplied? Or is there no more surface for additional DL?.... Captain, I'll be eagerly awaiting your evaluation.
  17. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    I've had one come off at speed on my ST1100. I happen to be looking at it just as it was letting go. Being very lucky I actually caught it with my left hand as it popped off and pulled it down into my lap without loosing it.

This was my fault. You will all learn, hopefully not the hard way that these 3-M buttons are good for just one try. If you start moving things around looking for the right spot and using the same 3-M buttons each time you too will get to see the LIP let go and sail high above you head and disapear behind you.

What you need to do is find the sweet spot and then install all new 3-M buttons and then leave it alone. And as mentioned ther is a cure time for the 3-M buttons. The ones on my GSA have been there for over 2 1/2 years.
  18. rsimpson

rsimpson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed mine at 60F and got on the freeway 10 minutes later... I'll keep a hand up all the time ready for a save, and place an order for some 3M dual lock worry beads!
  19. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had one come off on a serious washboard dirt roads. I now remove the LL prior to going into the dirt. It was not the Dual Lock that failed, it was the adhiesive between the dual loack button and the windshield. I install "new" buttons after that.
  20. ownst1100

Oddometer:
    I think your going to find that ducking down brings it in closer to you.

For the ST1100 Andy made a Shield LIP combo. The windshield was not as tall as stock and angled back bringing the top of the winshield 5" closer to the rider face. With the addition of a LIP it was and IMO the best setup for the ST1100. Smooth,quiet, and almost zero turbulance. All this while still being able to look over the top of the windshield. I'll swear by it and would not ride without it for the 6 years that I owned the bike. First thing I did when I got my GSA was to stop by and see Andy at Laminar.