Airhead parts - the dark secrets revealed

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by datchew, Feb 24, 2007.

1. subagon

subagon Hopelessly lost

Oddometer:
    Make sure you don't get charged for the VAT since you don't live in the UK.

2. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    As my /5 is nearing the point of being a daily driver I find myself wanting to replace the PO cobbled ignition switch. I was once told that there is a "modern" replacement board that can be use in place of the costly stock (63121351672) board. If memory serves, I was told that it comes with a modern key that can be covered with a nail key cover.
    :ear
  3. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're thinking of the Rocky Point Cycle ignition switch upgrade.

I just got one. It's easy to install. It consists of the a machined aluminum ring to hold the new keyed ignition switch, the switch itself, and some pre-wired terminal blocks to replace those on the original board.

The only pain point (for me) is the that my H4 reflector interferes with the switch. As he mentions on the product page, the stock /5 incandescent bulb reflector or an R65 H4 reflector will work. I'm looking at getting the latter, or replacing the ignition switch itself with a shorter one -- if possible.

As for using the original nail key cover, you'll have to take the one you have, dremel out the nail, and epoxy in the new key.
  4. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:

That is the one, thank you for the link and information.

The PO has already installed the H4 so there should be no interference issue. As to the nail, I got a hint from a BMW Indy to heat the nail part until the plastic is hot and with pliers pull out the nail part. Then after shaping the head part of the nail using heat reinsert it into the plastic.
  5. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why not go the whole nine yards and fit a keyless ignition system ... $0.10

No endorsement, just as a "for example", 'cos I know that there are other systems available.

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless.html

:beer

John
  6. toshibasz

toshibasz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry..but those Bosch 6 volt coils for VW beetle are not the same as those for airhead? Whats the difference? If not, what are other options for i-coils?

(a little late with my reply / question...sorry)
  7. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    The bosch coils are the same for VWs, but there were different ones - just make sure they've got the same resistance.
  8. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken the VW coils are slightly larger in diameter.
  9. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    Yep, larger in diameter and a bit longer too. The stock mounting brackets will work, but you might have to bend them in a bit so the coil doesn't rub on the tank.
  10. newride

newride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend cheaper alternatives to mufflers (other than the very expensive BMW ones) for an airhead?
  11. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
  12. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
  13. boxerboy81

Oddometer:
  14. Zebedee

Zebedee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What about some home grown Staintune pipes?
  15. boxerboy81

Oddometer:
    Got 'em already, but looking for some cheap backup, especially if they're "real cheap:! The %OZ very good atm so trying to take advantage.:D
  16. Beemerboff

Beemerboff Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are not fussy about originality there are good quality replicas of the Norton peashooters and Dunstall Decibels, etc, around - Flatracer in England or Trojan Classics in Oz usually have them.

Some of the classic guys stateside have them too, at a considerably higher price.

I have a Decibel with a Overland 2 in 1 system on my R75/7 and it fitted straight on to the OEM bracket.

It has a long straight taper like a Hoske, has better than OEM chrome, sounds better than OEM and flows a bit better too - the stock muffler struggled to cope with the flow from a 2 in 1 but the decibel copes fine.
  17. Humboldt Airhead

Humboldt Airhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a good source for wheel bearing shims for a 74 R90/6 front?

Thanks!!
  18. Big Bamboo

Oddometer:
    Duane Ausherman is still selling them, but no front /6?: How to obtain shims

I can provide shims for either the /2 or /5. The /5 shims fit the /6 & /7 rear and the older R26 and R27 too. Included is a set of 6 and that is enough to do one wheel, in the worst case, and usually two wheels. Print these pages for your instructions. Six shims of various sizes will allow you to shim spacers to within .001," which is more accurate than either the /2 or /5 wedding ring system. The shims are worth about 5 cents each, but the die costs about $900, for each of the two types. A set of six, two of three sizes, of these shims cost $10, postage included. I sell these by the honor system. Email me with your address and I will mail them out to you with a SASE. It is up to you to insert payment and return. If you don't know how to use them, or don't like them, just return them in the SASE. Less book work for me means a cheaper price to you, so please honor this simple system. Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    The kit has six shims, two shims of three sizes from .002" to about .005". This allows adding length to the inside spacer from .002" up to .020", in increments of .001". That is double the accuracy of changing the /5 wedding bands and four times for the /2.
    Sometimes the shims are cut from metric sized shim material and sometimes American sized, but you still get a useful variety. You may get shims of 2,3 and 4 and sometimes 2, 3 and 5 thou. It matters none at all, because you will have what is needed to get a great variety.
    <hr> I changed my email address in late 2006, but forgot to change it here. Many riders have not been able to order shim kits. I apologize and hope that you will try again.
    [​IMG]
  19. woodly1069

woodly1069 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine are pitted and rusty but solid. I just can't bring myself to reuse them so I need to replace them. Let me know if you have a set, thanks!
  20. CurlyMike

CurlyMike Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer:
    I have some for sure, just cant recall overall condition. Will look close today after plumbing emergency is over. You can have them just pay shipping if I find some.

Mike