Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
  2. MadMike20

MadMike20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting conversation about safety systems in bikes. In my last bike I choose a non abs system, both were available on the bike . That goes against popular wisdom. I had a pretty valid reason for choosing the non abs system. Never having had abs on any bike and switching off on several bikes I felt it was, in my case, better to have one technique rather than two in extreme braking situations. I considered how unfortunate it might be if in such a situation I confused which machine I was riding and locked up the brakes on my non abs bike. So I went with what I knew and I was never sorry. Of course I heard all the wise me tell me how ABS has just saved their lives and how they were so thankful for ABS. One after on they went on to say how they avoided a collision and ABS saved their ass... Now that sounds about right... ABS can save your ass... and now the other shoe drops...
    Sure the system can be useful, first you need to know how to use it and trust it. But what I noticed was so many ABS stories and how this technology saved their lives, why? Why were they not looking well down the road, scanning for situations that might require a panic stop? Why did so many guys NEED ABS to save their lives? Oh, and I'm 58 and my hands and mind still function well enough.

I have no idea if Traction control or ABS will save my life someday. Anything is possible. I could have gone down many times, I guess it was an angel on my shoulder that saved me in those situations?

I'm not counting on ABS or Traction Control to save my life. I'l planning on riding the best I can and using what little wits I've left in my aging head to avoid situations where I need to use these systems. Yep, sometimes you just dont get warning... Knowing that also makes to a bit safer, at least I think so...and I'm too old to know better...

Your mileage may vary

vivo
  4. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    :nono

Hey guys, I just want to derail this discussion before it gets so far. The ABS and TC on the Stelvio are on par with other bikes, so let's move this inevitable debate over to a more appropriate venue like the perfect line and save this thread for Stelvio-specific discussion.
  5. stevie99

stevie99 That's gotta hurt Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Texas, the baseball capital of the universe.
    :clap
  6. Nextmove

Nextmove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree with James, but before this gets shifted I'm sticking another 2c in.

I find the whole heated, and often nasty argument in many forums about ABS etc both on track and road a bit weird. If you think you're that good without it, fine by me. If you don't, then choose to have it and use it. Each to his own, and everyone's entitled to a polite opinion.

I'm 64 this year and have been riding since I was 17, albeit with a few breaks. I've lost count of the number of bikes I've had, but until recently most were not highly sophisticated in the brakes and handling departments, and early ones were held together with chewing gum.

Twelve years ago on a (then) modern bike with "good" brakes I ended up jammed under the front bumper of a car driven by an escapee from the local geriatric home who pulled out on the left right across my path (this is Australia, so for Yanks and Euros imagine someone pulling out from the right), then suddenly stopped right in front of me. No logical reason, and yes, she had seen me, but couldn't recall why she stopped. I hope they upped her medication and took her keys away.

For the first time in my life I locked up the front end and that was the end of my ride. A much better rider than me (bike cop) who helped drag me out from under the car (fortunately the old chook kept her foot on the brake), had seen the whole thing, and said he doubted that anyone but a real expert would have been able to avoid either a lock-up or a T-boning. ABS was, as far as I recall, a fairly exotic idea for bikes at that stage. Maybe it would've helped, at least to make me go over the bonnet at low speed instead of underneath at fairly high speed. I may have even been able to stop altogether. If I'd been on my Stelvio I know I could've stopped in time.

The Stelvio is only my second bike with ABS, and it was the lack of ABS on my dream bike (Griso) that was the main deal breaker. I KNOW I'm not as constantly alert and focussed, and that my decision making is slower than it was 10-20 years ago. I don't begin to kid myself that I'm as "good" as I (used to like to think) was. (We also have a very high kangaroo population in my area, and they have as much road sense, and move just as fast and unexpectedly, as deer.)

So I ride more sensibly now than I did in my prime, but I also welcome the electronic safety aids that are now available, and getting better all the time. And if they help a new generation of riders brought up on ABS and traction control in cars to stay alive, and to keep the insurance premiums down and speed limits up, I'm happy.
  7. vivo

vivo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, so my lava black stelvio is at the dealer... the panniers somehow have gone missing in shipping. I have the dealer do the Euro signals and somehow only one mirror was sent. My heated grips won't arrive until 2/12 and it snowed last night.

Apparently I'm a new Stelvio owner, sort of. Traded my griso and am looking forwarded to actually taking my bike home.

I was thinking of a GPR tri oval slip on but I believe the 13's might have a different diameter link pipe. Is that correct? Has anyone ordered a slip on for an earlier model and will they fit?

Vivo
  8. Precis

Oddometer:
    Good idea. How?
  9. Precis

Oddometer:
  10. MadMike20

MadMike20 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Precis

Oddometer:
  12. hngngnthr

hngngnthr Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer:
    Changing the subject slightly. I frequently am overtaken by cars and motorcycles on my local roads. Mostly on the straights. Corners don't slow me down a lot. So when I see someone close in my mirrors I slow some to allow them to pass, but often they just drop back and then I lose them in the corners.

I have figured out now that when they see the NTX they are extremely curious to find out more. They have to catch up to check it out. Also when I pass a construction crew on the roadside, or a logging crew, work stops as they stare and wonder. Everyone here is intimately familiar with Harleys but the Guzzi seems to blow their minds. Too bad we don't have a Guzzi dealer in SC. :gerg:dunno
  13. stevie99

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's not the bike but the rider that has their curiosity up. Did that ever occur to you?:wink:
  14. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few pics from yesterday's ride on The Old Federal Road in Alabama:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.
  15. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I've had a lot of people who want to check out the NTX or Griso. You usually get comments like
    'Hmmm, never heard of that' (usually from HD guys)
    'My dad had one of those in the 70's' (does he want to sell?...wait, guzzi owners never sell)
    'They still make those?' (well, I didn't make it myself)
    'So, kinda like a Harley?' (uh, not in the least)

I also had a a guy on a HD roll up next to me, told his 'old lady' that I was riding a Moto Guzzi, the sherman tanks of motorcycles.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have mine for sale on e bay for less!
  17. Mr. B

Mr. B "Cogito ergo zoom"

Oddometer:
    LF60, what's the story with that backrest? I need to get something make my wife more comfortable.

TIA
  18. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:

I custom made it. Use a Harley sissy bar and steel. Fitting takes some creativity.
  19. stevie99

Oddometer:
    Hey Leifer, that road looks yucky muddy and your NTX looks soooooo clean.:deal
  20. James Adams

James Adams wut

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    davyjones likes this.