What Did You Do To Your KTM Today?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by DeeGee, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Arzach

Arzach never too old...

Oddometer:
    No skiing today , perfect time to install the steering damper I got few days back .
    Nothing special I guess but this is something I wanted on my 950 for a while now .(it still will Not make me a better rider , nothing can cure that : :cry )

[​IMG]

ready for a quick ride

[​IMG]

The 450 will probably be next .
  2. duroturk

duroturk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :evil
  3. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    Been running 16/45 for a little over a year now. Love the grunt off the line but this trip will be higher speed. Planning on running 17/45.
  4. gozirra

gozirra Spam?

Oddometer:
    Picked up an Impreza full of KTM spare for my Adv.

Full

Now to sort through it all and order some service items and get the beast up and snorting.

(After processing my spares I may have triples of some parts to sell on *maybe)
  5. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sad so sad to see a KTM in this condition.

[​IMG]

But, that's what ya gotta do to:

• Change the balancer shaft seal,
    • Upgrade the water pump to the CJ Designs shaft,
    • Check the valves,
    • Tighten the head bolts,
    • Change the plugs,
    • Service the forks,
    • Tighten the triple tree,
    • Install a new front tire,
    • Install sprockets and chain,
    • Install a new air cleaner,
    • Install Samco hoses,
    • Service the rear shock,
    • Service the swing arm,
    • Add a new bash plate, and
    • Install other bits and pieces.

:freaky
  6. GrenDesb

GrenDesb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  7. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I know. The rear is getting done once the forks are finished. Right now the rear and a rope are keeping everything stable. :evil I like to focus on one end of the bike at a time. Rushing suspension repairs can really jack with your day, ya know?

[​IMG]
  8. midfat

midfat wholesome dirtiness

Oddometer:
    Socal, between the mountains, desert and ocean
    I installed the Scotts Damper on my 950SE last year. It was like magic. The bike was instantly tamed down on the freeway. The dreaded head shake all but vanished. Well, up until about 120 anyway, but on knobs I figure that's probably about time to stop twisting anyway. Awesome product.
  9. SierraJeep

SierraJeep It's toast

Oddometer:
    At the risk of starting an accidental math war, I had understood that reducing the front countershaft sprocket by one tooth was akin to adding three teeth to the rear sprocket (rounded up to the next whole number). If that was the case, wouldn't running a 17/45 be the same as running a 16/42?

If so, that would be back to stock (at least on the 2010 990) and would likely reduce potential axle spacer issues (or chain length issues).

Just a thought. I assume the idea was that it'd be cheaper to just buy a larger countershaft sprocket to work with the existing 45 rear. But if you are one to replace them both at the same time, stock gearing might be easier on the chain.
  10. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    one tooth up front is 2.87 in the rear But going smaller of both just means less chain length/weight and more wear on the chain (Tighter radius means more wear) Oh, and i took it for a nice ride. Sunnyvale to Stevenscreek Reservoir to 9 to Skyline, Down into woodside then onto 280 up to 92, to 101 and up to Scuderia. Then back down 101 to Sunnyvale. Some of the cagers on 101 or stupid. Had one clown that decided he wasnt going to allow me to split in 10MPH traffic. Driver next to him saw what was going on and waved me through. I did adjust A Hole's Mirror for him as I went by. It was obviously out of whack.
  11. Gil.caz

Gil.caz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wasn't today, but I took it up to Santa Cruz and back to corona CA over the weekend. Trying to wear out the stock tires so I can get a more dirt worthy set.

[​IMG]
  12. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fitted new sprockets today to the SE. 16 45. Had run 16 48 through Asia, but I got the bike back from there this week.

Was about to fit the new chain, but the chain adjuster on the end of the axle fell off in two parts... had been broken for quite a while by the look of it. Glad it happened at home, not up near the Laos border where I last had the axle out.

Found the sight glass window on the rear master cylinder had popped out. Tapped it back in and bled the brakes. Seems to be retaining the fluid.

New battery was needed too. My Lithium Ion battery shit itself last August over on the Burma border and I threw in the only battery I could get. It didn't survive the three months shipping process (disconnected). Wouldn't take a charge.
  13. Chinookmark

Chinookmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're correct that 17/45 (2.65:1) is roughly the same as 16/42 (2.63:1). But I believe EZ300 is basing his change on the 45t rear sprocket, using 16/45 for acceleration, and 17/45 for highway cruising. I'm pretty sure the stock chain is long enough for 17/45.
  14. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    CJDesigns sells a billet a axle block set. Well worth the investment.
  15. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:

+1 CJ designs sells a solution for global warming too. He's that good.
  16. The Bigfella

The Bigfella Big Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed... I've got some of his gear already. His solution would have been cheaper and better than the standard KTM Australia rip-off, but I need to get the bike back on the road for a ride this weekend... so KTM are winging an axle to me supposedly by tomorrow.
  17. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow - Australia is a hell of a long way away...:freaky

Damn spell check ehhh
  18. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
    Yeah,... 17/45 just lowers the RPM' s on the highway.
  19. zedtours

zedtours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct but you need to turn rear spacer block 180 deg
  20. akarob

akarob Rob

Oddometer:
    Not compared to stock. Im sure you meant compared to the lower gearing. I still have stock gearing and have about 11k miles. It's tough off road but I have zero complaints on road, the bike's too fast on the top end if anything. I can't wait to try a 16 or 17 / 45 setup.

I just want to say, bone stock, the bike is awesome. I clutch up second gear wheelies easily. I don't have to balls to try 3rd gear yet, but I'm sure it would go up. What a bike. :clap

Here's a recent picture of her.

[​IMG]