When did you realize you didn't care how fast you went?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 2whl-hoop, Jun 27, 2013.

1. glasswave

glasswave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is this flat place in Western Canada that you speak of? Okanogan Valley???
  2. Frostback

Frostback Frostback

Oddometer:
    Glassware-

Edmonton of the pancake topography.

I consider anything west of the Sask border to be western Canada though.

Lee
  3. Clockwatcher

Clockwatcher Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found that speed is relative.........45 mph on a gravel road feels faster and tests your skills more than 120 mph on the slab.
    Try it you will like it.......just sayin.........:wink:
  4. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    When I began to realize the journey was the reason.
  5. Prettyboy

Prettyboy I drink and I know things

Oddometer:
    Second answer, when I realized I could get over 80mpg if I showed a little restraint.
  6. ManiZ

ManiZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped caring about speed after my 3rd (yes, THIRD) "lane-departure excursion" in the canyons. Against the odds, all 3 were uneventful for me and the bike. The last was a year and a half ago. Since then, I became extremely cautious about my line and speed. On the straight slab, I still grab a fistful of throttle every now and then but nowhere else...it isn't worth it.

I enjoy the rides so much more now. I live in a place that offers epic views on every ride and now I get to take them in quite a bit more.
  7. OhBoy

OhBoy Got Out

Oddometer:
    When the letter arrived from the State of California. It was notification that I was in the top 5% of people most likely to die in a traffic accident in the coming year. Got that letter in the eighties. Were they wrong about statistics or, did the letter achieved its goal? I think the latter.

I still pass little ole ladies over double yellows and get caught doing it but, for some reason I am not aware of, the cops take pity on greying gnarled repentant old geezers like me.
  8. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    The ONLY time gas mileage matters when I'm on a motorcycle is if I have 25 miles of gas left and the nearest gas station is 30 miles. :lol3
  9. engineman

engineman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When on a whim I bought an old cb360 to fix up. Realized it was just as much fun as my Sprint and I didn't need to hit 100 every time I rode it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
  10. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Pretty much.:1drink
  11. Duke Kaboom

Duke Kaboom Oh the humanity!

Oddometer:
    It's funny that there seem to be two camps evolving here -- corner carvers or speed demons. So let me be the first to say that I like both! But from my experience it takes more skill to carve corners at speed than to just "go fast". I can only do the latter once in a while before getting bored but the former is enjoyable all day long.

Kent
  12. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    When I go fast I concentrate totally, when I go slow I sightsee. Sightseeing on a bike while moving is dangerous.

See? Fast is safer after all.:D
  13. David R

David R I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer:
    A few things.

One weekend my girlfriend and I flew through the adirondacks. I had a blast and she liked it too. I missed all the scenery because I was driving.

One time I raced a buell with my bmw R1100RT from rochester to syracuse in traffic. Just plain stupid. I guess the prize was survival.

I bought a 250cc super moto then made it a 350. I could get in more trouble on that bike than a big one. I had more fun too. I had so much fun I traded it in because I was going to end up in the back of an ambulance or cop car.

14,000 miles on my new BMW R1200R since september. It has not been over 100 mph that I know of.

Now I find roads that are a challenge just going the speed limit. I'll take a row of 30 mph curves over any straight road.

Thanks for asking
    I needed to think about it
    David
  14. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    +1
  15. JonXX

JonXX Infraction Collector

Oddometer:
    Don't lift until you see Jesus.

But I have WAY more fun on my SM than on my CBRs or GSXR, which is why it's the one I ride 98% of the time.
  16. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    EGGFRICKINZACTLY.:rofl:freaky
  17. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Apparently, many here have the confusing viewpoint that going fast and riding twisties are mutually exclusive. It's apparent that these folks are doing it wrong. :rofl
  18. Krono

Krono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So true !

Im in wrist and neck recovery for 2 weeks now because I went distracted by sightseeing.
    Not a bad crash as i was slow at that time, but helmet saved my life one more time. Fast or slow, always ATGATT here :1drink

L
  19. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I quit caring about going too fast after nearly killing myself by over shooting a turn and heading into on coming traffic while riding above my limits. As luck would have it both the driver and I guessed the correct evasive maneuver and since that day (3 years ago) I have not even begun to approach my limits. I had a choice, improve my skills or slow down. I choose to slow down and you know, I enjoy riding as much as I ever have.
    I've got mad respect for those who have attained the skill to ride briskly safely but after the right side of a coin toss sparred me my life I made a commitment to never put myself in a position where my over-exuberance increased the risk of my own demise. The sport has enough risks so if slowing down erases one for me, it's worth it.
  20. Aj Mick

Aj Mick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot recall ever being interested in how fast I could go.

Motorcycling has always been about getting around, with corners and varying surfaces being the fun bits. Roads built to go fast on have always seemed a bit boring.

I have done 100 mph without a helmet thinking it might spice things up. Picking my way down an unsealed road at a third of the speed is far more interesting.