Philippines Adventure Rides

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Wild_Man, Mar 28, 2008.

1. DanTheMan07

DanTheMan07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you need a permit to transport from the local government.
  2. Hercules

Hercules "Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer:
    Yes, a permit to bring in a motorized vehicle in the island is need as they are limiting the vehicle inside the island to those who live there. It's not a big island too.

I suggest to just rent a motorcyle inside the island.
  3. tshelver

tshelver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beween here (SE Asia) and there (Southern Africa)
    Been playing around with maps and stuff. Apart from the Roadguide.ph map you can download to your Garmin and maybe your smartphone, OsmAnd for Android seems pretty fast and has quite decent maps the few places I've checked.

Still worth checking all three sources (Google maps, Roadguide and Osm) when planning a route off the main highways.

Sent from my Android chinaphone, please excuse the spelling
  4. vespinoy

vespinoy n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to share the crossing we made on Patapat Bridge in Ilocos Norte during our 10 day Philippine Loop last May.

http://youtu.be/mR0P2xAWaPM

Have lots of raw vids but im just too lazy to edit them haha.

On to the other topic. the ride from Iloilo to Caticlan should be fun!! Great roads!

Herc, when we gonna ride?
  5. Hercules

Hercules "Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer:
    Nice Vid Vespinoy!

Reminds me of the last rip I did there. The views and edrenalin rush is always the same brother!

Let's hook up soon and do a memorable trip for us to share here. :clap
  6. 250txc

250txc Full-time, amateur, 250cc Husqvarna Dirtbike Rider

Oddometer:
    I've never been to Boracay but I have traveled across Negros to Pinay ...

The port area in Bacolod is just behind Robinson Mall on the main drag though town ... Below is a listing of port times and there are plenty and this was low cost the last time I was there a yr ago ...

You land at Dumangas on Pinay which is about ~24 CLKS north of Iloilo City proper ..

When you land at Dumangas, you have 2 maybe 3 possible routes to take to the north western tip of the island to catch a rider over to Boracay or that other island you mention ...

Pinay is divided by a large mountain range that runs north up the west coast line ... Antique province runs up the western coast line over the mountain range ...

1) Head south \ south west after landing towards Iloilo City and pass this mountain range on the south side and then head up the coast line in Antique ... This is the longer route but has some very good beach access and Antique has miles and miles of white sand ..

2) Head west \ north west and head towards Kalibo on the northern shore ... Just go north and you will hit the north shore some how ..Many small roads over there ... After hitting the north shore, go west to find a boat over to Boracay ...

3) This route may or may not be open yet AND it is know for NPA in the remote mountain area of this route ... San Remigio-Leon Road ... This road cuts across the lower southern part of the mountain range and hits the west coast making it much shorter to the coast ... 2 yrs ago it was not finished but it just was an election yr and maybe it is finished now ... I'd stop by the BRGY Hall in Leon and ask what the status was out there before pushing across ...

RORO schedule --
    [​IMG]

This will be about the 1st sign you see leaving the port after landing on Pinay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. DanTheMan07

Oddometer:
    I'd take any route except for the direct route through the middle of the island. That road is the main transportation hub from north to south, so youll have to deal with busses, minibuses and all sorts of other traffic. I say go with one of the costal routs, antique. But this time of year that side is exposed to the weather and the storms come from the west, so maybe the eastern side would be more weather friendly. We're getting hammered here in Boracay with strong winds and rain. Good fun for water sports, but wouldn't want to be on a bike.
  8. 250txc

Oddometer:

The San Remigo-Leon road is open?

Its just a easy < 1 day ride either way and if you cut across, it would really be short ... I never saw much traffic anywhere there except in Iloilo City ... It easy to go north of that place and avoid it ...
  9. DanTheMan07

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of bike rental companies in Palawan?
  10. 250txc

Oddometer:
    There is a guy who gives tours over there and has smaller bikes for renting, 140cc Kawi ... I can't find his web site but or email now ...

His rides looked ~pretty technical and there is a huge, world class MX track over there also ... Not sure what a 140cc bike will do on a big track ..

Should be some of the smaller bikes over there somewhere also ...

Good luck ... I'll send another message out if I find his site on the web
  11. DanTheMan07

Oddometer:
    Actually looking to rent to explore around and look at property, xr200 hopefully, self guided tour also visit some friends.
  12. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We can see Hilantagaan Island from our home so the gardener organised a pump boat . Cost 30p each including our bikes to go there. We also got fresh Blue Fin Tuna to take home. The kids there don't get to see many visitors or white men so when we went swimming had a big audience.

[​IMG]

Last weekend was Palawod Festival at Bantayan Town

[​IMG]

Kabangbang Elementary School won 1st Prize

[​IMG]

I hired a Yamaha YBR and went to the Nature Park , even had 2 x swim instructors . :evil
  13. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the amazing pics, Toddy. :clap Your sweetheart is quite maganda! I miss the Philippines so much and have to visit Bantayan. Won't be there before November, though.
  14. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments, I bought a used Sony NEX3 for $300NZ just before coming here and best camera I have had. We go travelling next week back to Masbate, Samar and Biri Island. In Sept going to southern Leyte , Bohol , Camiguin Island . Head home Oct and looking at going to Malaysia Motogp and possibly Aust Motogp . CJ from Tok was here for 2 weeks .
  15. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    Cool, good to get out and explore the many islands! Susie and I are probably going to Palawan as our primary destination outside Manila but I'll be checking in to see your pics from this fall. Your camera work is always inspiring. :clap
  16. 250txc

Oddometer:
    Hi again Toddy and sounds like quite a trip you have planned there ... I'm a little busy this month but if you stop over in Cebu, let me know and we can have a drink maybe ...

What about that jump to Masbate ... Can you catch a roro or pump boat over from Biri Island area or do you have to go over to Samar to get a roro to Masbate? The only time I was there, I came across through Samar ... The long way for sure ...
  17. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    There is Roros leave Hagnaya and Bogo for Cawayan and Cataingan on Masbate at midnight every night. We have done the trip to Cawayan , van to Masbate City, pump boat Ticao Island , pump boat Bulan on Luzon. Next week we are taking Bogo- Cataingan Roro then hopefully a pump boat to Calbayog on Samar . To get to Biri Island there is a big pump boat that goes to Matnog on Luzon most days and returns to Biri in afternoon or you go to Lavezares and get pump boat for 50p . I have been doing my visa renewals at Tacloban so havnot been to Cebu since I arrived . Will have to catch up for a beer .

[​IMG]

We are living in Sta Fe just aroung corner from bike hire Bar we went to . Right on beach . The pic is out front of house . Not looking forward to going back home in Oct
  18. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Yer Palawan is on my bucket list , but maybe next year. Thanks for the photo comments .
  19. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    WOW ! Simply gorgeous; Judging for the quality of your pix, I'd venture that you've fairly mastered your new camera ! ! !:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Thanks for the postcards ! ! ! ! !

20. lamyld

lamyld Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hi fellow rider here. just want to ask your inputs on a trip that me and a buddy is planning. we are from laguna and we plan to ride to davao via south road and back through cdo-dumaguete, panay and batangas. we are planning this on the end august or september.
    if anybody from here is within the area probably we could meet up.
    planned route...
    day1, laguna to allen, samar.
    day2, allen to surigao.
    day3, surigao to davao. :beer
    day4, davao to gensan.
    day5, gensan to cagayan de oro.
    day6, cdo to dumaguete. (night trip roro)
    day7, dumaguete to bacolod
    day8, bacolod to caticlan
    day9, boracay... :beer:beer
    day10, caticlan to batangas and laguna....
    any suggestion or inputs guys?
    thanx....