The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's been quite a while since shim-under-bucket could be regarded as a negative factor. I have a V-Strom 1000 that had a valve adjustment at 15000 miles. I checked again at 30k and 60k, no change. Coming up to 80k now, I don't think I'll even bother with a check at 90k (OK I will check, but I expect the result to be the same - nothing to be done).

I have a new Super Tenere coming, also shim-under-bucket. I expect that to be just as low maintenance. Service intervals for valves are 24,000 miles. The GS is what, 6k? I don't know how well they retain their ajustment, but I suspect, given the frequency of service, it's not a well as the current shim-under-bucket setups.

Trevor
  3. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I'm not the only one then. That's an air cooled hex-head with a different beak is all.
  4. Ownitbaby

Ownitbaby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll just go on riding my 1100GS thanks....16 years old this year and good enough for me. So long as they can keep me supplied with parts I'll keep riding it...maybe for another 16yrs.

We don't neen no stinkin' water cooled, ethenol drinkin', overly complex mumble, mumble fancy pants, Ressen fressen crap......
  5. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    They should leave the air/oil cooling and fix the final drive. That would go farther toward selling more bikes.
  6. VeeNeck

VeeNeck Banned

Oddometer:
    BMW R 1300 GS, Looking better with more aerodynamic lines; front beak, windscreen and cooler looking F800 style rearview mirrors. What looks to be very smart editions are some side gas tank bumpers. As for switching the swingarm to the opposite side I don't understand why all the BMW's do not have them on the same side to begin with? Cant tell in the two photos, as for the photos being reversed, look at the signage and plates. I give the guy total props on the scoop and photos, the upcomming bike details are nothing like the autos, I wish they were. But the frontend look great very F800 meets the GS which sound cool, more aggressive design! and the windscreen does not look so dorky more aerodynamically clean, so less bits you have to farkal the bike up with to make it look good, so maybe we will have a standard GS looking good right out the box for once, more like the tough looking GSA. But I cant wait another 2 years, right now it is all about the Triple Black GS, lets see if they produce a Triple Black GSA I bet you guys would like that.

[​IMG]

Looks a little similar to the sexy Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak Edition, which I personally got to sit on and let me tell you that was a cool looking sleek bike, great paint job. The GS is still more ergonomic. :nomystery

[​IMG]
  7. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on buying a 2011 GS Adventure in April so of course something like this comes up to complicate my decision.

I will stay the course! Life is to short to always be waiting for the next version that is "better" or "more advanced". Maybe I'll be shopping for a water cooled gs as they are pushing the electrics. :)
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    then just wait till bmw has to drop the price when the bike is announced.
  9. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To late. :D
  10. mkletecka

mkletecka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bracky 72:

I currently have an 09GS and would like, and appreciate a 2010/11, because of its improved engine. Also, I'm waiting to see what BMW does with the new, totally revised, "possible" water cooled, 1250/1300 etc. GS/GSA. However, my 09 is "so good", "so competent", that its virtually erased that need/urge to look for new.

Also, (one reporters opinion) over 30 years the GS/GSA has been properly improved/refined, to a point that "some" still prefer their 1100/1150's.

In the recent Fast Bike comparo between the new/latest Multistrada 1200S, Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere and 2011 GSA (which, I believe has "essentially" been around since 2005, but has the HP-2 derived heads), it came out on top. At the end of the article, they quote, "More telling still is that if you put the 09GS in the test instead, the outcome would have been the same".

Mike K.
    Dana Point, CA.
  11. ag_streak

ag_streak Failure is always an option Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple of observations...

Several folks said this picture looks like the existing model. While they COULD have put the new engine in an old chassis for testing purposes, I would be skeptical that some guy in Spain would know it and snap this cell-phone picture.

1. The exhaust pipes seem to come out the front of the cylinders just like the current 1200.
    2. That could be some sort of cladding around the "dual side-mounted radiators", but I doubt it. I suspect that would be difficult on a test mule based on the current bike's bodywork, and this picture makes them look too integrated.
    3. That sure as hell looks like a double-sided swingarm. Can you make out a horizontal swingarm in front of the axle nut?

12. Basic_Gerd

Basic_Gerd Gerd

Oddometer:
    In this german magazine (Vol. March 2011) you can see excellent pictures of the new engine crankcase. Wonder how they got these. Extremely detailled, professional lighting.
    • wet clutch - saves length
    • therefore maybe longer rear swingarm possible?
    • shaft left
    • intake / outlet vertical.
  13. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    So what are you waiting Gerd, Get does "Scans" pronto, Since we really need to know, Well want to know in my case, But people buying the "Latest and greatest" kind of need to wait a little longer for cheap prices in the "Obsolete" models:eek1
  14. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    How does a wet clutch save length?
  15. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Actually no it's not BMW forcing the change; it's emissions standards.
  16. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    I'm really surprised by the number of luddites fearing the "great change" to water-cooling. :lol3

I'm assuming you've never heard of the KTM 640, 950, 990 models, KLR, DRZ, Vstrom, Varedero, Super Tenéré, Husqvarna, Aprilia, Highland or other venerable adventure bikes - all using liquid cooling for many moons without issue.

Those arguing that it will be a pain to fix ''in the field'' should check out the number of rallies notably THE Rallye and the number of manufacturers using liquid cooling. If CANBUS doesn't concern you - trying doing a field fix on that btw :wink: - then liquid cooling with a tube of liquid metal in your luggage shouldn't be an issue, hell it can be done with chewing gum.

KTM, arguably the GS's main competitor, suffered nothing by running liquid cooling on its 950 and 990, the wet weight is similar to the GS. Furthermore I can't believe anyone is arguing wet weight when considering a GS - the way most people pack those things the last thing to worry about is the weight of the rad system. :huh

Will the liquid cooling system add weight, not significantly imo because BMW knowing many owner,s predeliction with weight will shave it elsewhere, wheels, engine internals etc. Back in the day when the GSXR went from air and oil cooling to liquid cooling ( and technically still air cooling) it was a significant weight gain but bottom line Suzuki got it very wrong in the first iteration and subsequently dropped its weight significantly after that. Notably however the added weight didn't hurt sales or on or off track performance significantly despite the significant weight gain. Since the GS isn't running in any horserace the weight gain will have negligible impact.

The move to liquid cooling will have appreciable benefits moreso for BMW in terms of addressing it's environmental responsibilities than for the consumer. Rest assured the new model will sport enhancements to lure many dissenters. Just as the 12GS lured many a 1100 and 1150 owner who said never. When the 12GS was introduced many declared it ''plasticky'' and ''less planted'' and in one memorable case ''supermotard-like'' in comparison to the battle-tank 1150GSA. Many of those are now proud 12GS(A) owners without complaint.

I'm confident many here will be putting deposits down in the future - there's a new flavour of kool-aid on the market. :1drink
  17. mcstark

mcstark Living brappy...

Oddometer:
    The same thing happened to Porsche in the early 90's. That's when they introduced the water-cooled flat-6. All the purists cringed, but now you have a 3.8 liter non-turbo motor making 450-hp. The old, air-cooled twin turbo motor made the same HP, but it wasn't nearly as efficient or clean.

Progress needs to happen. I do agree that an adventure bike doesn't need 115-hp. My 1150 is plenty fast for me, but more importantly it has the grunt down low to pull like the tractor it is.
  18. Luma46

Luma46 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if anyone had a chance to read the latest edition of the book 'BMW Motorcycles' by Holstrom and Nelson, but you would learn that the first R boxer bike was the R32 introduced in 1923. Of course air cooled and it never changed since on the R boxer engines. I think it was in seventies when BMW wanted to drop them in favor of more modern and efficient K engines and guess what, loyal owners started screaming and the "inefficient" boxers were back and kept getting better.
    Most of you for sure remember the HD bringing in 2002 the super modern V-Rod, which is pretty much ignored by the overwhelming majority of HD riders. Guess what would would happen if HD dropped the air cooled engines in favor of modern liquid cooled ....
    Same thing with the R boxer engines, people love them the way they are, yes improve whatever can be improved, but do not touch the basic design including the air/oil cooling. Remember my words, if Germans come up with liquid cooling and shim under bucket and other "major improvements" lots of people will start screaming and thing will go back to "normal". Tradition, tradition...
  19. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Can't we like both? I really like the steel bikes but own a plastic one. When the new one comes out, I'll be likely to buy it and if I have the cash, I'll buy a steel bike, too. :norton

(And yeah. I'm a HD fan, too. And I have no interest in a V-Rod but mostly because that riding position was designed by an idiot.)
  20. OConnor

OConnor Bad Juju

Oddometer:
    Didn't KTM have water pump issues on the 950? That's what BMW needs is ANOTHER weak link. I'd be more worried about radiator damage than added weight. Crushed my DRZ radiator a few times.