Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Yesterday Lamotovita and I explored Copper Creek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff wanted to try out the 400 (less filling, better taste).

[​IMG]

The always elusive "Sibley Mansion". Getting harder and harder to get to it because the jeeps have just torn the hell out of the trail.

[​IMG]

Almost doesn't seem real.

[​IMG]

This guy is "old school" in all the best ways.

[​IMG]

The only thing that stopped him was a 5' straight down drop.

[​IMG]

Beautiful day and neat place to check out some history.
  2. DonBenito

DonBenito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, that was me. Just taking a quick ride up to the Bellota Ranch HQ road gate and back. Had about an hour to kill this afternoon so I thought I'd brush the cobwebs off my TW.

Nice pics HTM, looks like you guys had a much more adventurous ride than I did today.
  3. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks like a pretty cool route. I'm still learning the area and haven't got a clue how to get there. Where do you post tracks when you do? (I checked the gps threads.) I have a few days off and would like to get out.
  4. PhiSig1071

PhiSig1071 Friendly Neighborhood Privateer

Oddometer:
    Check out dualsportmaps.com and gpsies.com, both of those sites have tracks that you can download as .gpx files and upload to your GPS, I used basecamp on my computer to keep track of the tracks and upload them as needed to my GPS. I know Flashman used to upload a lot of tracks to DSM, (I used one of his tracks for Charouleau Gap) but the site has been essentially killed by google, you can't upload any more tracks. That having been said, there are still a LOT of good tracks on the site you can use.
  5. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have that track - or close to it. Send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.
  6. acruhl

acruhl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw what appeared to be TW200 tracks on FR4436 off of Reddington road this morning. Don Benito by chance?
  7. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  8. millican

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to go from Tucson to Yuma without getting on the interstate? I'll be going in about a week to visit my wife who will be working in Mexico south of Yuma. (an irony of the border fence in place)
    I'll be riding a "250"cc Honda Helix as I can't find the title to my Datsun, and the Arkansas tag on it will be expiring very soon.
    Leaving pavement at the West end of hwy 86 is fine, but is it possible to ride from there to Yuma off-road or to Mexico directly via Mex. Fed. Hwy 2?
    Wikipedia often lists speed limits on highways, but not for Mex. Fed. Hwy 2. Is anyone familiar with that or the area between Ajo and Yuma?
  9. DonBenito

DonBenito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not me this time, but I'm always interested in meeting a fellow TW rider if you do track them down.

Not a lot of non-TW riders can keep pace with me. Most bikes stall and fall over when they try to ride that slow!
  10. acruhl

acruhl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ahh yeah, that would be me. My DR's suspension is so bad that I have to go really slow, and it's not very graceful. I keep reading about how good TW200s are for slow stuff... I have a friend that has a really nice one I've been waiting for him to sell.
  11. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    It would be a LONG journey but you could cross at Lukeville/Sonoita, then take MEX-2 over to San Louis RC. I haven't ridden 2 since last winter but at that time there were a lot of construction zones where we were detoured off the pavement and onto the dirt/sand. The MX speed limits are much lower than I-10/I-8. Mex-2 has lots of truck & bus traffic. Not a fun ride.

Dave
  12. millican

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips. My wife just told me that the big gray area on google maps between Organ Pipe and Yuma is an Air Force Base; no crossing it. Lukeville and Mex. 2 it will be, trucks and buses and all. Now to get the insurance.
  13. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anybody want a loading ramp? It's a one piece (does not fold) aluminium ramp.
    I figure $20 bucks.

I have a picture of it somewhere if I can figure out which computer or camera it's on.

Russ
  14. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'm gonna take the Airhead and go by to check out the EBR bike. I haven't seen it up close yet. They usually have some cool demos and stuff going on.

Russ
  15. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have camped there a couple of times. You have to get permission from a BLM office in AJO. It is a pretty neat place - in winter - not so much in summer.
  16. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Hey Russ, I may be interested. My Kendon came without a loading ramp and I've been looking for a ramp I could cut down to size. Is it beefy enough for the GS if I cut it down to 4'-5'?

Dave
  17. millican

Oddometer:
    Sounds like I need to get some rotopax or something on there before summer then for other trips out there.
    For now, how's the Border Road? Is permission required for that?
  18. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Your post beat Low Downs PM by about a half hour so I let you have first shot at it. It's pretty light weight but would probably work if it was shorter. I wouldn't use it as is for loading into a truck. The Kendon is pretty low so prolly ok. You decision though.

edit: I meant to say "I wouldn't use it to load a BMW GS into a truck"

Russ
  19. 685

685 Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need to borrow or buy (cheap!) a carb synchronizer for my BMW R90/6. I just installed a set of almost new carbs and would like to get them set up.

Brian Lamberts (Eastside) 310-9165
  20. KIC

KIC Proud Army Dad

Oddometer:
    Tucson, we keep our ice in the freezer, Arizona
    Brian, I have a CarbTune that can do up to four carbs at one time. I am at Golf Links and Harrison