DickyB's Turkish Delights

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dickyb, Aug 16, 2008.

1. meto

meto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfect sea and mountains...
    The only region in Turkey that delivers both superbly.

Great ride DickyB. Looking for more.
  2. Dave-in-Turkey

Dave-in-Turkey Mild Mannered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dicky,

Yep I had problems with my picasa also and had to get photobucket, we are in Dalaman, there is a little group of us, me transalp,boris africa twin and theo kanuni gt 250- we ride about quite often but are very much stabled now because it is so bloody cold. Soon as the weather breaks we will be off somewhere for a day or two, great to meet up we will i am sure be heading kas way again, we are planning to go to capadocia (spelling) at some point, if you have not been you are welcome to join us, so far 4 bike are penciled in for that trip when its warmer !

I have tried a bit of off roading www.travelswithmymotorbike.wordpress.com as you can see on my site but i am really crap at it now, i was much better when i was 18 !! defo need to get the gear though, hurts more now when i fall off than when i was 18...:lol3
  3. tuareg-tr

tuareg-tr Adventurer of Turkey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing.

Exactly. :D
  4. Dickyb

Dickyb Bewildered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aferdersiniz Turk arkadaslar. Her hafta ben Turkche ders , ince Turkche okul yapmak, ama ben im cok eski ve yavas!! Simdi ben Turkiye yaziyorum, Turkey degil.

Iy gunler,

Dickyb :wink:
  5. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Hi folks,

That scallywag Jack Frost has been doing his stuff in these parts too. Took the dogs out for their morning stroll and noticed the garden wasn't its usual green.

[​IMG]

A contrast indeed to the same time last week where we had to high tail it out of town and into Europe to get our visas stamped. For those not in the know, British nationals can stay in Turkiye for up to 90 days on a Tourist Visa. The other option being to purchase a Residency visa which are a good deal more expensive and confer no special rights. Anyway, we go through this less than arduous process every three months. So it was farewell to the ferocious guard dog

[​IMG]

And off down to Kas to park up with some of the local traffic. I love these old Jawa's.

[​IMG]

A quick good morning to one of the local geese who keep guard on the marina. This goose was one of a bunch that arrived two years ago in a battered and sorry state with two broken wings. They are thriving now and are well looked after by the local fishermen.

[​IMG]

As time was short, and we still had to get to Europe, we got a move on and

[​IMG]

after handing our passports over to the ferryman we waited. Europe by road was over 1200km away. By sea it was 2km away. The part of Europe we were heading for was Meis to the locals, Kastellorizo to the Greeks who own it, it's nearest Greek neighbour being Rhodes. Over 100kms away. The population once peeked 14000 but that has long since declined. Nowadays life is slow and geared towards the tourist and visa hunter. A few pics to follow;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I am sure that the island has a wonderful heritage, is steeped in history and there are ancient artefacts on every corner but, being a creature of habit, I was lulled back to the mainland by the siren song created by the breeze blowing across an open bottle of an ancient local remedy.
    [​IMG]

All in all, not a bad way of preventing being locked up as an illegal immigrant. Anyway, back on the bike and up in the mountains tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dickyb
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Looks like you found a good loophole and it sure beats the British weather! Thanks for the report and sunny pics :thumb
  7. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a beautiful place to enjoy and photograph. Thanks for sharing the sun.

TC:D
  8. zadok

zadok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Magnificent places. Nice pics.:D
  9. Dave-in-Turkey

Dave-in-Turkey Mild Mannered Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave...We used to do the visa runs aswell...Marmaris to Rhodes...what a pain in the arse it became after 3 years so we did the residency thing last year,,,I do miss the duty free fags from Rhodes, only 0.30p a packet :ricky
  10. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    It was Sunday so time for a ride though the weather was less than clement as we waited for Rejeb and Zeki

[​IMG]

who duly arrived sporting an assortment of rain gear

[​IMG]

We headed off, higher and higher

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way we passed a victim of the current shooting season

[​IMG]

Apologies at this stage for a couple of poor shots, rain on the lens I think. Then we hit the snow line

[​IMG]

which stretched as far as the eye could see

[​IMG]

We came, we saw, we were thwarted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a couple of hours fooling around we retreated to beneath the snowline to find a suitable place to dry our clothes and get some hot food inside us. We found a temporary summer shelter that the goat herders use as a stop off point on their annual migrations from the coast to the cooler uplands.

[​IMG]

Within no time Mehmet had drained a litre of juice out of his petrol tank and got a fire going on which we barbecued some sausage along with our boots and socks

[​IMG]

At this point my camera gave up the ghost :eek1 and so did we. An hour later we were off the mountain supping hot chay (tea) in Mehmet's lokanta. 4 mates, 4 bikes. Perfect really. :D
  11. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good trip......thats a lot of snow to be playing in:lol3
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    I'd say that's a bit more than a dusting of snow! :lol3 thanks for the report and pics :thumb
  13. OzTEXS

OzTEXS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i wish we had slow like that here in Sydney ..
  14. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    A while back I started exploring my neighbourhood on two wheels with Mehmet who I met a couple of months after I arrived here. Mehmet used to ride my Honda XL200 until he invested the equivalent of 400 UK pounds in a Chinese 150 Mondial. He has had that bike over a year now and put over 8000kms on it offroad. He has tried to break it every weekend but despite his best efforts it refuses to lie down quietly and expire. Mehmet has a friend called Zeki whom we all lie prostrate before, he rides a Big Red Pig (which scared the life out of me when I had a go). Zeki has a mate called Rejeb who rides Zeki's XT350. We all came together out of a desire to see what was over the hill. None of the bikes are "farkled". They get regular air in the tyres, petrol in the tanks and the odd oil change. We meet at Mehmets.

[​IMG]

Within ten minutes we are usually lost. :cry

[​IMG]

Sometimes we head for the high ground

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes we just hit the ground:huh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sometimes we see strange sights in the woods:eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At other times we are the strange sights in the woods......................talking biking nonsense and telling lies:evil

[​IMG]

When we are weary and feeling over the hill

[​IMG]

we remember why we doing this in the first place:clap ....... something about seeing over a hill!:wink:

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Dickyb
  15. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    What an adventure comrade! Go on with uploads.
  16. Dickyb

Oddometer:
    Hi Venturer.

Thanks for the interest. I'm hoping to spread my wings a bit more and see more of this wonderful country when family commitments allow. Your RR's have given me some good ideas. Please keep them coming.

Cheers,

Dickyb
  17. the venturer

the venturer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I promise I will Dicky.The weather here has been terrible for the past few weeks.Still plenty of rain and snow here.
  18. GB

Oddometer:
    Looks like some delightful Turkish off road action... Small bikes can be just as much fun off road as bigger bikes... :nod

Thanks for the report and pics. :thumb
  19. extrailt

extrailt n00b

Oddometer:
    David, you have to added very good pictures, thanks

Arif
  20. extrailt

extrailt n00b

Oddometer:
    You was go down but it was funny and very well. i didnt came but i am right