03 FLHPI Road King starting problem

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by fritzcoinc, Aug 10, 2009.

1. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ride the bike once or twice a month. It's stored inside under cover. This is the third time for the same ocurrance. Switch on, wait for the computer to boot, pull in the clutch, press the start button, the lights dim and no stater movement.

First time I had the starter rebuild by a very good shop I have used many times for forklift starters here at work. Their record is 100%. At this time I also put in a new starter gear shaft bushing in the primary chain case cover, new strater relay, and new Interstate battery. All cables and grounds were cleaned and re-torqued. It started good for about three months. Same problem. Pulled the starter and sent it back to the rebuilder and they checked it twice and declared it good. Put it back in and about 6 months later same problem. This time I bought a new starter from Harley. After about 4 to 5 months of very little use same no starter problem this morning.

But my Husky fired wright up!

What y'all think? Could the battery to starter cable be bad? No visible corrosion.

Bike in question:
    [​IMG]
  2. Murf2

Murf2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd check it with a meter. See if your leaking a little electricity when it's setting. As a work around, I'd put it on a battery tender. It will help even after you get the problem fixed. Good luck!

Murf2
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    +1

And check out your voltage regulator.

I had my vr go on my 03 FLHPI..

[​IMG]

as well as a couple buddies had them go on their 03's as well.

I put close to 40K on mine in less than 2 years and the only other thing I replaced was a battery. They are great machines.

Good Luck
  4. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check the right side switch pair.Power comes into the on/off switch and goes over to the starter button.Hmmmmmmm...........'03's had an issue with the main circuit breaker.Your dealer will be able to check and see if that's the problem by the VIN.Hell ya may even be able to check online.But it is a good policy to have a nice relationship with your local Harley dealer.It is a recall/service item and should cost you nada if it is indeed the problem.Eay way to see is the amperage rating.If it's still got a 40 amp breaker it's the issue.Even some of the early 50 amp breakers sucked at a black hole rating.Check it out.
  5. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll look into that. It is something common to three starter instalations. I have also had several broken wires in the harness where it "P Trap" bends on its way to the steer head.

And I have a stellar relationship with Mancuso HD here in Houston. They are so friendly and all smiles, while I am handing over the Visa card.
  6. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    starter relay (NOT the solenoid)
  7. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    New relay was installed.
  8. marshrat

marshrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you leave it on a battery tender?
  9. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    An easy way to check the breaker is turn on the ignition switch.Oh remove the seat first.:wink: Just touch the breaker after a minute or so.be careful it may be REAL HOT.If it's HOT that is probably the issue.They get warm normally but not HOT.You'll still need to take it to the dealer to get it done under warranty but at least you'll have something to tell them.
  10. GARider

GARider Wandering Thru Life

Oddometer:
    Sounds just like my Road King. It just doen't get riden enough to keep the battery up. Put a battery tender on it and it will start every time you want to use it.

Roger
  11. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    [/PHP]
    Nope but I will try it.
  12. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    I got a new one, $6.79 at the dealer???
    Will try it soon.
    Thanks all.
  13. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Well it seems the breaker was bad. I guess the breaker would trip when the strater load came on and drop out the soloeniod in the starter locking everything up. Installed the new one and the bike spins up like never before. I drilled two holes in the plastic case that holds the breaker to let out water that collects there as the old breaker was corroded pretty bad on the back side. Also cleaned all the connections in the area. Thanks everybody for the advice and info.
  14. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Under $10 to fix a Harley?Cool.
  15. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Not exactly.
    Frst there was $125 to rebuild the OEM starter plus about $75 in gaskets and oil.
    Second, the rebuilt starter out to re-test plus same $75 or so to re-install.
    Third, a brand new Harley starter OUCH $425 OH my god, OUCH again, plus $75 or so to install.
    Fourth $6.79 for breaker.

Well at least the primary chain is adjusted prefectly and the oil is really clean.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diagnose the problem don't throw money at it.Way cheaper in the long run.
  17. fritzcoinc

Oddometer:
    Yeah your'e rite. I was not just throwing money at it. I had asked several Harley folk. Most agreed that the starter was bad since it was an old cop bike and that rebuilding was a waste of time. Won't know about the re-build till next time.