Temporary Title Border Cross Baja

Discussion in 'Americas' started by NW Carny, Feb 27, 2013.

1. NW Carny

NW Carny n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if you can cross the border with a temporary title from Oregon. I am waiting for the original and it does not seem to be showing up anytime soon.

I tried to search the sight but temporary and title do not like each other in the search engine.

NW Carny.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Baja is not like mainland Mexico------you do not need a vehicle permit and sticker. So no vehicle ID is required to get in.
    I carried a copy of the title and my registration just for the heck of it.

You don't need anything to cross into Baja----------but once you get in it's way best to get your Visa and you'll need your passport to do that--------and way best to have Mexican insurance also (baja bound--or whatever you want to use)---although you'll probably never get asked for anything------that is extremely rare.

If you cross at Calexico into Mexicali-----as soon as you cross the border----I'm talking 1ft. after you cross thru------look and go to your left for the visa.

And leaving at Mexicali---you can worm your way to the front of the line and there is a "special" lane for motorcycles. They saw me worming my way to the front and waved me to the "special" small narrow lane.
    With a passport--------getting back into the US is almost always a 20 second deal.

this info is very current ------as I was just there.

BigDog
  3. NW Carny

NW Carny n00b

Oddometer:
    This is what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for the reply.
  4. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    You don't need the title for a vehicle permit anyway - just the registration.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Ahhh this is not entirely true. You CAN be asked to show proof of ownership when entering Baja. While they do it all the time (including dirt bikes, dune buggys, pre-runners and race cars), they do not always do it. I have personal experience multiple times being asked for ownership papers that they look to match to VIN numbers on the vehicle. That being said, the temp paperwork will work just fine if you get asked. No permit is needed for Baja.
  6. David13

David13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nobody ever asked me for anything entering Mexico, Baja, at least.
    Entering the US (return) they just ask for passport, which, I think you MUST have.
    Don't forget and leave it on the kitchen table.
    dc
  7. NW Carny

NW Carny n00b

Oddometer:
    Only lost it once in Russia. Otherwise it is usually fairly implanted on me.