Sherman Pass Road (southern Sierra pass)

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by dman, Nov 19, 2012.

1. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a reliable site showing conditions for Sherman Pass Road? I realize it may be too late (esp with his week's snow) but I have never been over this road and may have an opportunity in the next few weeks. Is it gated shut (I'd probably go west-to-east) or are you on your own to decide? I checked the USFS site but couldn't find anything. TIA.

-dman
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear:ear
    I'm going to be in the area in 4 days and would love to know too
  3. msgtretired

msgtretired the 'Sarge'

Oddometer:
  4. hanksmybuddy

hanksmybuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll go up over 8900 ft at the top of the pass. You can probably get to Kennedy Meadows coming from the east but not so sure about getting all the way over. It is gated on the west end coming up form Kernsville but not sure on the east end. I camped up that way about a month ago and it was cold. I also got caught in an early snowstorm headed north. Link to ride report with some pics of Nine Mile Canyon Road and Sherman Pass:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=840550

Great ride from Springville all the way over to Hwy 395. Good Luck.
  5. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Just call the ranger station in Cannell and they'll tell you if the pass is open. I suspect it's open unless it's snowed in and impassable. Lots of cabins up there.

You can also call the KM store, they'll know if it's open on either end.

With this weekend's weather warming if it's open would be an easy ride over. Might be chilly on top overnight.

If it's closed they'll post a sign at each hiway, Kern and 395 at either end. The gates are above Kern hiway and at Blackrock Ranger station, east of Sherman Pass summit. Cannell will connect you to Blackrock if anyone is manning the phones up there. This summer they were not.

The winter of 2010 the girl at the KM store said there were more than 600 trees down and her husband had been helping cut them up and clear them off roads and trails.
  6. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    How do I get from Pierpoint Springs Resort (Camp Nelson) on CA 190 to Sherman Pass Road?
    I know/see how to go west from 395 up Nine Mile Canyon to Sherman Pass road where it meets Kennedy Meadows Road.
    And I can go east from the valley up CA 190 to Camp Nelson.
    But how do I connect them? On paved roads (I did it once, a long time ago)
    Does someone have the forest road numbers? or other directions?
    Thanks,
    -ceej
  7. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just stay on 190 East. At some point the name changes to The Western Divide Hwy and turns south. It will T bone into Mountain rd 50 or Parker pass. Turn east again towards Johnsondale. Another name change along the way where the road crosses the Kern River, but Sherman Pass is 5 miles East and South of Johnsondale.

It is all paved, but The Western Divide Hwy is not open in winter and Mountain rd 50 is usually closed between Johnson-dale and near Calif. Hot Springs.

It has been a long time since I have rode that, but I do not remember any change from 190 to the Divide hwy. Seemed like all the same, except the latter stayed on a long high elevation ridge and the road got narrower. A stop sign at the T and a road sign pointing the way to Johnsondale.
  8. browneye

Oddometer:
    I think he wants to take the dirt route from Camp Nelso to Johnsondale, is that correct?

I have a track if you'd like it. Or just find 21S94 out of Camp Nelson and take it over Windy Gap.

Oh, here's our tracks on dualsport maps...Windy Gap is on there, it's a great ride from Johnsondale to Camp Nelson. Easy dirt route, takes about an hour, it's 16 miles. http://dualsportmaps.com/?link=106532

Sherman pass road is further south on the Kern Hiway just before you get to McNally's.

[​IMG]
  9. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that did it for me!
    -ceej
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I will save it then. Every time I go down to Warped it is under 2 ft of snow.
  11. browneye

Oddometer:
  12. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help me. On May 28th, I am riding an Africa Twin from Long Beach to San Francisco. I'll be solo and would like to ride some mountain passes. Sherman Pass is one I have my eye on. Will it be open on May 28th this year? Thanks!
  13. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, you have options. Passes from the south...Walker, Sherman, Tioga, Sonora, Ebbetts, Carson, Echo and Donner. If you want to see the bigger name sights--Tioga for Yosemite and one of the northern passes for Tahoe. Ebbetts and Sonora for (IMO) best riding, scenery and lack of traffic. The north south transitions are nice too--Hwy 49 Gold Country on West and 395 north of Bishop on the East. Have fun
  14. SFMCjohn

SFMCjohn 13

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

@NJ-Bill
    ... a zoom-in-n-out map link ...

... Comanche Point Road is another
    LA-SF option ... south of Sherman Pass and south of Hwy 58 and it's
    lower than Sherman Pass if you have not heard that Sherman is open by the
    time your ride starts ...

... these pics are Comanche Point from March ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... oh, yes, Commance Point is dirt as opposed to
    Sherman Pass which is generally goaty paved ... :ricky

... are you from NJ? I'm from Mercer County ... :thumb
  15. NJ-Bill

NJ-Bill Life is good Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am from Cherry Hill, NJ.

Thanks, guys!
  16. jpjensky

jpjensky Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I found this thread while planning my own May 28th(ish) ride over Sherman Pass road (and then out to Death Valley and up 395...). Given the snow this season (or lack there-of), is it likely Sherman Pass Road will be open? The Forest Service shows it closed curently without any update information (I love Lassen's road clearing "Operator Log" -- if you add "My dearest Clementine," the entries could be Ken Burn's Civil War entries!)

Any thoughts or resources?
  17. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    Road was open as of yesterday
    NJ-Bill and Jean-Luc like this.
  18. 1224R

1224R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just went up and over from the 14, Up Nine mile road, into KM up to Sherman pass lookout and down to Kernville..... no problems and clear... couple rocks here and there.
    Bike Guy likes this.
  19. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath Old 'nuff to know better... Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow, nice. Never been on that. I always see interesting looking dirt roads I'd like
    So if I were to hit Tehachapi and catch the Comanche Point Road over to Arvin area is there a loop back east I could take?
    I'm looking at Sebastian Road along Tejon Creek and meanders down towards 170th St West.
    I'd be big bike solo...
  20. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Just chipping to add - Sherman Pass Rd is a rather epic stretch of pavement. I've ridden most of the paved passes across the Sierras and this one does not disappoint at all.

That said, I use the word "pavement" loosely. There are a lot of rocks, sand patches, and broken up asphalt, so don't look at the twisty line on the amp and assume you're going to ride like Rossi through it. Take your time, smell the trees and enjoy the views - there's plenty. Once you get east of Kennedy Meadows and start coming down Chimney Peak (you'll know you're there when all the trees suddenly vanish), you can turn the wick up :)