2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Psychout, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Psychout

Psychout n00b

Oddometer:

I agree with you - I too was looking for a nice used Dakar, but honestly...a lot of owners have upgraded them and are hanging onto them - main point being that they are reliable.

I just wish they put some decent forks on these, but at the end of the day its a tried and proven setup for the Sertao...which for me is a low risk purchase. The price is really the selling point and if people want to upgrade it to be more off road suited...drop the $2.5k on new forks and you will still have the bike for another 10 years of fun.

Anyone gone to a BMW dealer to yet to find out when these bikes are arriving on show room floors?
    Steven Michael likes this.
  2. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I really like the Dakar/Sertao setup. Ive been looking for a used Dakar, but get a kick of owners wanting a huge premium thinking the bikes are *that* special. Thanks, but I'll spend a few grand extra and get a new Sertao, or for the same price get a lightly used F800GS - twice the power for 10 lbs more weight.

Rumors are that BMW is going to push the Sertao as the most common single (as opposed to the standard G650GS), if thats the case there should be a lot of good used ones on the market soon (next few years).

My hunt continues.....
  3. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell this is a "parts bin" bike. They must have had a bunch of the 650 singles lying around. Add to that a pair of spaghetti leg forks (non-adjustable, cos they're cheap). Same steel frame as the older G650GS. Crappy rear shock. Warmed over slightly higher tech instrument cluster.

Don't get me wrong, the [old] F650GS (now of course rebadged as the G650GS) is a good little bike (I know, 'cos my wife has one and I'm the resident mechanic). But to call this thing a "new model" is insulting.
  4. petepuma

petepuma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My local dealer just got one of these today, regardless if you think its just a dakar or not, it is quite a nice
    Lookin bike. Price is $9500.00' ...... Thats kinda steep if you ask me, not sure if its 3 grand better than
    Than a KLR?
  5. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive already posted on several similar threads.

1. Is the BMW worth the extra money over a KLR or DR ?

The BMW is almost 50 perecent more hp than the japanese singles. The BMW runs so much smoother, especially at highway speeds, it is in a whole different league. Try one and you will see. Whether these advantages are worth the cost is up to the buyer.

2. Sertao ?

I prefer the 19 inch front wheel on the regular GS version. It handles better on the road and does just fine on the dirt. This is not intended to be a hard-core dirt-bike but rather a dual-sport. If you like running some curvy, two-lane sporty roads with this light weight little mount, that 19 inch front will turn quicker and offer better traction.
  6. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    I believe the Sertao also includes includes heated grips, aux outlets, etc. Not $3k worth of little extras but can add to extra HP as mentioned and decide if it has that extra value. For folks without a lot of jake or looking for that second bike...probably not enough to offset. For folks going on a longer dual sport / adventure tour - maybe?
  7. petepuma

Oddometer:
    No doubt the BMW is a better bike, it is on my short list to replace my '05 Klr....the standard GS just feels to small for me, I'm 6'2 the sertao fits better and I'm used to the 21" front wheel.

sent from my 3D EVO on tapatalk
  8. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    I suppose the next question is: Is the $3K bump to a F800GS worth it, or is a Sertao with $3K worth of kit a better value?
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I vote for $3K worth of extra kit. Personally I don't need the extra power of the 800 and I like using regular gas in my 07.
    On a recent trip my friends f800 used about 30% more fuel than I.
    $3000.00 could buy all your accessories and a 2 week trip somewhere
  10. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A $3000 is more than a bump at this price point.
  11. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    I'd buy one of these bikes tomorrow if I didn't already have a 2007 F650 GS Dakar. :deal

Riceman
  12. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Saw one today at the Progressive show. Also has ABS (switchable on/off) which is nice as well.
  13. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Closer if you take into account the BMW 3 year warranty. Only 1 year on a KLR (unless you extend).
  14. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  15. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Interesting, would you rather look at a 2007 Dakar or a 2012 Sertao if you were looking for a ride? Is there anything 'better' about the Dakar over the Sertao?

I called the local dealer here and they are only getting two Sertaos in this year. He mentioned that the G650GS is being discontinued (at least in Canada) and the Sertao is the ONLY BMW Thumper available! Anyone have any insight as to why supply is so limited?
  16. petepuma

Oddometer:
    Iwould go for the sertao....here in Colorado, guys are asking on average about 6000. For used dakars:confused:
    That's yay too much money for used.

17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your made in China motor and 14 liter fuel tank, I'd rather have the $6k Dakar...
  18. Durden

Durden Freak!

Oddometer:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the Sertao have a Rotax Engine assembled in China (not Made in China). Would be similar to Kawasaki that assembles their bikes in Thailand.

Whats the fuel capacity of the Dakar?
  19. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not even sure it is assembled in China. It was for a year or two, but for 2011 completely made in Austria. Made in China "bad" busily typed on his made in China computer.

Loncin is the worlds largest maker of motorcycle engines and a very large and modern facility to do it.
  20. petepuma

Oddometer:
    I don't recall any reliability issues with the current g650 motors....equal to the motor in the klr, probably better, more power with efi , and way smoother. I'm not a Klr hater, I own an '05 Klr.