F800GS Suspension Upgrade

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by machinebuilder, Aug 27, 2012.

1. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just finished my suspension upgrades,

After reading countless posts about the crappiness of the stock suspension and getting more experience on the bike and dirt/gravel/rocky roads, I started thinking all the more knowledgeable riders were not happy with there stock suspension and had gone through some sort of upgrade, especially the forks. The eyeopener came when I went on a dualsport ride with the BMW Riders of Knoxville, and realized while they weren't going really fast I was struggling to keep up. Most of my riding I am alone and tend to poke along and sightsee alot.

after spending even more time reading threads and learning I knew nothing about suspensions, I bought Ned's suspension Ebook, and learned enough to have an idea what people were talking about.

I got prices from Ohlins and Traxxion Dynamics for the forks (racetech never replied back) and decided the $600 more for Ohlins couldn't be worth it.

I pullled my forks off and sent them to Traxxion Dynamics to have them install the kit (I really didn't have the time with working 50-60hrs/week). it was a 8 day turnaround, and I had them 10 days later.
    After a quick test ride, I was like :eek1:eek1:D:D:D:D:clap:clap:clap:clap what an unbelieveable difference, when I went from pavement to dirt I didn't realize and I was riding about 15mph faster. then I realized the shock sucks, and I was bouncing around.

I had decided going into this that I wasn't going 1/2 way, so I already had a Wilbers shock on order, they were a bit backed up and it took 4 weeks to get it, I picked it up on thursday and got it installed by Friday evening. (don't follow everything in the Haynes book, why would you take the muffler off?)

Saturday I got woke up and left to ride some of my favorite dualsport roads near Tellico Plains.
    The fork upgrade deffinatly made MUCH more change, but the shock really settled things in. I hit everything from nice smooth pavement to wased out rutted dirt/gravel. It was the best Saturday I've had in quite a while.

If someone had told me how much difference this would make I would not have believed or understood. NOW I understand when told that a suspension is the most bang for the buck. It really feels like a completely different bike, on and offroad.

Costs are not cheap.

Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 $1200+$200 installation (I got the "hardcore" offroad setup)
    Wilbers shock + remote preload = high/low speed compression adjusters $1200

BIgger GRIN priceless

EDIT: I finally got enough courage to start playing with adjustments, and then decided a bigger adjustment was needed to really see what was changing, I turned both fork adjustments out about 2 1/2 turns and the shock adjustments out about 1/2 turn, this is taking the jolt out of the potholes and square ledge type hits.
    Fearless Whetu likes this.
  2. biodieselandon

biodieselandon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this the same company that is producing the new rear shocks for Touratech? Are your forks adjustable now?
  3. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Almost right on the name; the Touratech shocks are made my Tractive not Traxxion :D
  4. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah that's right. So are yours adjustable?
  5. machinebuilder

Oddometer:
    Yes they are adjustable for preload, and have rebound in 1 leg and compression in the other.
  6. biodieselandon

Oddometer:
    Maybe that is the route I will go instead of Ohlins.
  7. machinebuilder

Oddometer:

And save yourself a lot of $$$$
  8. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    I have the Traxxion setup and really like it. It's fully adjustable, preload / compression / rebound. I also have an Elka in the back and like it even better. So much for saving $...
  9. machinebuilder

Oddometer:
    The money savings is the price difference between Ohlins and Traxxion. Its about 1/2 the cost of my Wilbers shock.
  10. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How hard is it to install the traxxion kit?
  11. machinebuilder

Oddometer:
    I did it the easy way and sent them my forks. I really didn't have the time to do it.

Indyunlimited has installed several sets.

They are a drop in replacement for up to 2012, no machining involved.
  12. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah they are easy to do.
    You need an impact gun to loosen the stock cartridges and tighten the new ones in.
    Traxxion sells a special thin 17mm wrench for tightening the fork caps to the cartridge.
    Install with 7.5 W oil in each fork at around 100 mm from the top of the collapesd fork.
    It measures close to 500ml / fork.
    I think they charge $120 to do the work.
    rlsjodin likes this.
  13. xsf18cdf

xsf18cdf xsf18cdf

Oddometer:
    If anyone has a 2013- your front forks are not the same as '12 and earlier. Ohlins and Konflict are working on setups for the WP forks that come on the new bikes. Waiting to get mine done with whoever gets their kit done first since both places are highly regarded.

Gary
    Simples likes this.
  14. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why wait, Send your forks to Traxxion they can custom install on any forks.
    I had that done for a custom Versys with 8" of suspension travel.
    they can turn it in about 3 weeks.
  15. AMusedRider

AMusedRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    machinebuilder,

What book is this? Is it specific to a certain class of motorcycles or generic?

Do you have a link to it?

Thanks!
  16. machinebuilder

Oddometer:
    http://www.dualsportriding.com/products/dual-sport-suspension-concepts-and-tuning-ebook

It's pretty generic but talks more about dualsports/adventure bikes

Ned wrote it with the owner of Superplush Suspensions, the credit is in the PDF.

It taught me just enough so I'm not a complete idiot, I think it's worth the money even just so you have an idea of how things work.
  17. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Racetech's bible is pretty decent, there are other even more detailed, but the racetech gives a really good broad look at "how stuff works and why".
  18. KLRscoob

KLRscoob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just upgraded to the hyperpro two way rear and the hyperpro springs and oil front. The difference was incredible. I think if you need more than these two upgrades have to offer you are on the wrong bike. I got the rear with the hydraulic preload upgrade and it's awesome. And Klaus at hyperpro USA was fantastic to deal with
  19. shashankmittal

shashankmittal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't really understand why BMW would cut corners on such a capable bike by offering a non-adjustable suspension on non-ESA bikes. I ordered mine with factory lowered suspension and no ESA, most probably will have to install a fork cartridge kit to dial-in the front end. Looks like we have couple options - Traxxion, Ohlins, Racetech. Can anyone what kind of valving the Traxxion and Racetech kits use? 20mm, 25mm or 30mm? I believe the soon to be released new Ohlins cartridge kit will be 30mm.
    Tallbastid likes this.
  20. HoloHolo

HoloHolo 2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer:
    I am considering a winter project with my 09 bmw f800gs and suspension was on the list. Does anyone have a list of best and least expensive front and rear suspension dealers.

Also, If I had to do one or the other would you start with the rear suspension them move to the front or vice versa.

By the way the other items on the list are lithium battery, new exhaust (I'm thinking two brothers titanium) and I think that is it.

thanks