1. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    I think it's private past the locked gate marked Cargill?
  2. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's for sure. I wondered of that way once since the gate was open and some guy kindly told me it was trespassing but the hate is supposed to be locked anyway so access to that road shouldn't be an option anyway.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
  3. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  4. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also saw this but it looked a little more advanced than i would like... do you know if they have easy stuff??
  5. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Metcalf has easy stuff.
  6. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Metcalf does have easy stuff and trails are labled Green, Blue and Black diamonds but it is on a scale for Dirtbikes. WHile the Green sections range from easy for all bikes to a couple Difficult sections for larger bikes.

The Perimeter trails are mostly Easy but if you ride the perimiter trails as far West as you can go there are two tricky spots for unsuspecting beginners.

I think Carnegie has more Easy stuff that doesn't surprise you.

J
  7. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Carnegie has more hard stuff too. And every other kind of stuff.

If you want all easy stuff, come out to Prairie City. I think it's 100% easy stuff.
  8. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok well for my first riding I will be riding a tiger 800 xc. I know you may be thinking its super dumb but it's all I got and frankly I think I will be ok. I'm a smart rider, I ride to my ability and have no issue with slow but assertive progress. So I'm looking for really basic for now. Would either work for that? I'm kind of looking for something not super populated to not annoy other riders. I don't care looking like a noob but just don't wanna ruin it for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
  9. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    those offroad parks tend to be full of kiddies on 75cc MX bikes.
  10. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that may not be soo good then... Wouldn't want road kill on my conscience :rofl

11. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    many of those kiddies will ride circles around you on a big bike.
  12. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh I don't doubt it at all. Got a couple motor cross friends who started super young and have heard and seen stories. I'm just saying that for their sake! Like I said I got no experience on dirt and dealing with a 500lb bike! That's why I'd rather be far far away from anyone.

13. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Carnegie has a long gravel access road that has 15 mph speed limit. You can ride about 1.5 miles total from end to end. There is a dry stream area on the West side of this road you can practice on and Plenty of spots you can be without worrying about anyone else. Trails are two way so you have to stay on your side of the road, which only makes blind corners more interesting.

Metcalf ( also called County Park) dosen't have as many areas where you can be by yourself, but the trails are one way so at least you don't have to worry about oncoming traffic.

I'd be down to show you around either place and ride along.

Despite the crowds, they are good places to practice instead of falling on a trip hundreds of miles from home where breaking things can be a bigger hassle for everyone.

J
  14. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok then I Carnegie has taken the win! Is it just as busy year around?

Oh wow thank you! That would be awesome! I will buy you lunch! I could really use some tips too! I have been riding 6 years commuting and the KLR was really an amazing machine, scrapped the pegs several times. The tiger is a whole new beast so i have been taking it real slow but i absolutely love it!

Yeah that's exactly why i want to practice and get good enough to handle it farther away. I want to ride up to Oregon border using as many dirt roads and i can handle but gotta get a good amount of practice in first!

Do you know if camping is allowed at Carnegie?
  15. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    There is a camping area just east of the entrance. On holiday weekends it can be completely full. Just don't expect to be sleeping in with a bunch of loud bikes being started up at first light.
  16. goldentaco

goldentaco Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet thank you!

Oh ok good to know. Might go there and do an overnighter one of these weekends. Would you guys say it's safe to leave tents and sleeping bags and stuff while i go on a ride?
  18. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    It should be, but there are no guarantees. I never had a problem leaving a tool box, ramps, and other stuff in the bed of my truck or on a picnic table while I was out riding. I tend to trust people and have never found a reason not to at Carnegie during the 50 or so times that I went riding out there.
  19. y0y02369

y0y02369 Long timer

Oddometer:
    anyone been on altos creek road? Says it's a fire road...
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    where exactly is that? google's not turning up anything without a location qualifier...

if its in the SFBA, pretty darn good odds its gated and no access.

edit: if you meant APTOS Creek Fire Rd, thats in Niscene Marks State Park. bicycles and pedestrians only.