336 cam made in china

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by slash2man, May 16, 2011.

1. slash2man

slash2man n00b

Oddometer:
    Some mention made in a unrelated thread about how the 336 cams made in china were crap and had been recalled by BMW so how can I tell if a cam I purchased about 3years ago was made there?thanks arch
  2. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    There is so much BS floating around about 336's. I hope this rumor is just more of it.
  3. moorespeed

moorespeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I found the problem with the 336 cam about 16 weeks ago, I DID post the problem within one of s/s cam debates but I think he missed it. THEY ARE MADE IN CHINA AND THEY ARE ALL SCRAP. THE LOBES ON THE RIGHT HAND CYLINDER HAVE BEEN MISGROUND AND WRECK THE FOLLOWERS. THEY MADE HUNDREDS AND IT GOES BACK ABOUT 2 YEARS. AT THE MOMENT BMW HAVE THERE HEAD IN THE SAND, AND ARE HOPEING THEY ARE OUT OF GARANTEE BEFORE THE PROBLEM IS BAD ENOUGH TO BE NOTICED.
  4. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I remember your post. I am still hoping that it is not so. A story like that needs a verifiable source. Who is it? We all know that a cam has never been mis-ground in Germany but . . . . On the other hand, BMW has been farming out airhead parts manufacture to some crap suppliers lately.
  5. Rucksta

Rucksta SS Blowhard

Oddometer:
    John would be a verifiable source in my book.
    Wost case scenario be would be an identifyable source with a current international profile and a reputation as an engine builder and parts manufacturer.

I hope the 336 china scrap story is and urban myth but I'd be listening to what John has to say

"THEY ARE MADE IN CHINA AND THEY ARE ALL SCRAP. THE LOBES ON THE RIGHT HAND CYLINDER HAVE BEEN MISGROUND AND WRECK THE FOLLOWERS"

At face value he has identified the problem on more than a single instance. Sure I'd like more info but I'm not going to ignore this advice.
  6. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So perhaps this explains why the 336 cam I put in my BMW R100gs shit the bed and ate the rockers on the right side.
  7. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong. I am listening but a bad batch of cams doesn't mean they were made in China. I thought he said he had a good source on the origin of manufacture? If it's true, it's a shame. I would find out who made them originally and try to get cams through them since BMW has (had?) about the best cams in the business IMO.

I have got NOTHING good to say about my experiences with Chinese bearings and whatnot. Junk right out of the box!
  8. Hawk Medicine

Hawk Medicine Coyote's Brother

Oddometer:
    Ok..... Here we go again!

Who is reporting these multiple instances of bad cams and what kind of numbers are we talking about?

I;m not saying that it dint/doesn't happen but I'd sure like to have some confirmable data.
  9. fishkens

fishkens Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear
  10. moorespeed

moorespeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been informed by BMW GB that they were made in china. the old stock ran out about 2 years ago, they will not tell me how many that BMW AG had made but we know it is more than 300. they owe me a lot of money for engine damage, I DONT want to take them to court but it may happen.
  11. Tosh Togo

Tosh Togo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can hear BMW Corporate quaking in their boots... :poser

[​IMG]
  12. slash2man

slash2man n00b

Oddometer:
    Getting back to my original question, how to tell if they were made in china? Are there any special markings or would they have to be measured and compared against a good cam? Arch.
  13. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    I am still barely hoping that it ain't so. I know BMW NA has been a source of a lot of BS in the past especially regarding 336's but I would think BMW GB knows a bit better. Even the best has been known to make a bad batch of cams but I have little faith in a Chinese manufacturer making them right when they can sell junk for less.

We are doomed if they start farming out to China. I just put some big front wheel drive needle style Chinese wheel bearings in my truck. They literally didn't make it around the block. Timkens fixed it at $80 a side after I shopped around and got the lowest price!

Chinese hose clamps! :rofl But they cost half the price of ones that actually work! :rofl
  14. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    Good Luck with that.
  16. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear:ear
  17. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Don't forget that modern oils will tear up a new cam. When replacing it you need to run a proper break in oil. As far as the cam's being made in China- Has anyone measured one to see if it is in spec? If it is in spec the next step would to have the metal checked to see if it is the proper hardness. Without knowing these two things it is all here say if they are bad cams or not.
  18. marksbonneville

marksbonneville Long timer

Oddometer:
    This "Camspiracy" is interesting but some facts would make it even more interesting. So Like Slash2man said "how do you tell the difference" does the chinese cam have red lobes?
  19. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just when Billy nearly had me convinced to try another 336 cam...

:cry
  20. supershaft

supershaft because I can

Oddometer:
    Look within grasshopper, not at me.