Where are your XT250's...let's see them.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MEDIC-0372, Nov 4, 2008.

1. MEDIC-0372

MEDIC-0372 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...the gas tank looks good.

Hey good luck, that is a nice looking bike...hope you get it fixed up.
  2. TW1STY

TW1STY n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone,

Just picked up an almost new 2009 XT250 last week. 1,400 miles and nary a scratch! I already added some acerbis "bark busters." Other than that it is bone stock. Unfortunately the only pic I can access right now is the cell phone pic I took after my first "dirty" ride.
    [​IMG]
    It has taken a little while to adjust. My "street" bike is a MV Agusta Brutale 910s. So I was a little disappointed at first with the lack of power. I know, "what did I expect?" But just being honest here.

That was my first impression...until I got her off the highway! What a difference! This bike is an absolute dream on trails. Power is very managable (I hadn't ridden dirt in 20 years...and I'm only 37). Also, the fit is perfect for me. I'm 5'6 and 165 lbs. On my first real "off-road" experience, I followed a buddy on a Yamaha WR250 with no issues (granted, he wasn't exactly trying to shake me!). The back roads and trails of SW Virginia make this area a motorcyclists paradise. We must have hit 8 creek crossings as we rode through many miles of the VA hills.

Anyway, I thought I'd just check in and say hi. Also, I'm looking for a rear rack. Any suggestions?
  3. dec181966

dec181966 Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer:
    Here is a couple pics of my 2009. :evil
    Got a 1000 miles so far and getting ready for some multiday rides this fall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    Looking Good...
  5. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    OK…I just put my second set of IRC GP-110’s on my XT-250. The first set had 7945 miles and the front tire was badly cupped and the rear wasn’t too bad. These tires are much better than the original Chinese made tires that came with the bike.

What pressure (psi) should I run these tires at for road use. When I do off road riding I do plan on lowering the psi and I have no questions about off road riding at this time.

The bike is 290 lbs and I am 200 lbs. The manual states that I should run the “OEM” tires at about 22 psi for the front and 25 psi for the rear. That is what I ran the first set of GP-110’s at. I have been told and read that I should be running these tires at higher pressures. As stated I will be running these 100% on the road (if I go off road I will adjust the psi). The tire states on the side wall “Max Load 584 lbs with Max Pressure of 36psi. So…I’m thinking that I have been running my tires a bil low.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Also, where can I get some concrete info on this issue.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/irc-gp110-streettrail-tire

Thanks,
    MEDIC
  6. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife just got a new left-over '09 XT 250, and after one afternoon of riding we think it would be better with +1t more on the front or maybe -3t less on the rear. It is realy slow in first, even the hard stuff should be ok if we gear it up a little. So question #1 Doesn't it have a 15t on the front now? Question #2 Where can you find a 16t front or a 45t rear? I can find nothing but 15t fronts and 46,47,48, rears
  7. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    how well does the later xt250 compare to the suzuki dr350se? thanks for your knowledge!
    dean
    tennessee
  8. FreckledAvenger

FreckledAvenger Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer:
    I have a 45T rear - as the Oz model XT250 is different from the US model I was able to get one from a Tricker that fit. It seems a nice compromise for my riding - personally I would not go too much further than this if you are doing much offroad ...

For a front try Superior Sprockets (http://www.superiorsprockets.com/) who now do fronts including a 16T. Previously the only way to get this beast was from AFAM Japan or a after-market stockist of AFAM (normally in Europe).

Alternatively for a rear try Rebel Gears - they are excellent to deal with. They have an XT250 model on their catalogue with sizes varying from 42T up ... Be careful when you order as the sprocket from the older model XTs will not fit. An alternative is off an older style FZR400 with the 428 chain which also does fit if you can not find any other alternative ...
  9. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just brought her home yesterday. Ordered a Scorpio SR-i900 alarm, some panniers and an FMF Powercore 4 today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats. Such a great, under-rated bike. Enjoy!
  11. FreckledAvenger

FreckledAvenger Trainee Stunt Double

Oddometer:
    Love to hear how the FMF exhaust goes - I have been thinking about getitng one for my XT too ...
  12. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    Nice bike...Welcome.

Tell me about the tires you got on there.

13. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    If you think the 225 is torquey, you've gotta love the new 250.
    That's a 250 Raptor engine in that thing and torqie is what it's all about.
    The ONLY thing you'll miss about the 6th gear on the 250 is shifting one more gear.
    If you look into the final drive ratios for each bike (225 vs 250) you'll see they're almost identical on top. The beauty is, the 250 pulls longer and harder through all it's gears so it doesn't need them as closely spaced as the 225 does and that's the reason the final drives are almost the same and the 250 has NO NEED for a 6th gear.
    Don't judge the little bugger by it's lack of a 6th gear. You wont miss it.

Ps. The rear Disc more than makes up for that 6th gear.
    You guys have me missing my 08. I shouldn't have traded it in on the DR; just kept it and had a higher monthly payment. (sniffle, sniffle!)
  14. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I think it will suit my needs very well.

Got the FMF exhaust last week but I'm going to wait until the bike is broken in to put it on I think. I bought it now because I found a pretty good deal on one for $202.85 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/FMF-MUFFLER-P...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1292112121&sr=8-1

Thanks!

Bridgestone TW-301 front, TW-302 back. I had figured they were stock on the 2010 XT250 but idk. I bought it from a dealer and it had 2 miles on it when I got it so I don't think they would have changed the tires.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went for a short ride today. Figured out I have an oval melon and my new Shoei Multitec hurts after 30-40 minutes of wearing it! Damn this big head of mine!
  15. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick run down to the lake. About froze my nads off on the ride home. Mesh jacket works really great letting air in. Sadly for me the air is cooold right now. Gonna need to buy another jacket if I want to ride much more before Spring!
  16. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    I think that you are right the Bridgestone TW may be stock on the 2010 XT250. I have a 2008 that came (IMO) with a much lower grade tire. Thanks for the update.

Great pictures. Here in Ohio there is not much riding going on...the temp is 12 F with lots of snow and heavy winds. I got to play with my snow blower today though.

Take care.
  17. The Cameraman

The Cameraman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Medic,

Team Serow came with TW301's & 302's from new back in October 2005. The tyres were standard fit to Japan bikes back then on the 250's.

Regards

Reggie
  18. empanadaman

empanadaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    12F!!! Now I feel kind of bad complaining about the cold here in Austin. Yeah I was a little worried about the tires since I had heard a lot of bad stuff about Sheng Chin's but when I drove up to the dealer (about 100 miles each way) I was happy to see the Bridgestones on there. I had been eyeballing the IRC GP-1's in case I needed to buy some new tires, and may still try those out when the stockers are worn out. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/11575/ITEM/IRC-GP-1-Dual-Sport-Rear-Tire.aspx

Btw I really like that fanny pack you use as a tank bag. I was looking for something similar but finally ended up ordering a Wolfman Express tank bag. I'm hoping it works out alright on the XT. Got a pretty good deal on it at Motostrano for $110.39 shipped.
  19. MEDIC-0372

Oddometer:
    My 2008 came with the Cheng Shin C/6006 and I did not like them at all. I now have my second set of irc GP-110's and love them.

Thanks for the info guys...let us know how you like the TW's.
  20. artbone

artbone Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got a 2008 XT250 and I live at 6500 ft. The bike seems really rich and the condition gets worse when I go over passes sometimes up to 8000 or 9000 ft. I pulled the air cleaner out to see if it made any difference and it made a noticeable difference. The bike ran much better.

When I look in the parts book they only list 1 jet size for XT250s. I've ordered a jet kit off ebay but don't really know what it consists of.

Does anyone have experience rejetting one of these carbs? Any suggestions on sizes, main jet only or main and pilot both? Lower the needle?

Someone give me some guidance here.