Starting a Geo Cache, would like advice

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by motoregon, Dec 30, 2010.

1. motoregon

motoregon Commuter

Oddometer:
    I'm going to start doing a geo cache in the next few weeks (to be posted here), was wondering if anyone had any tips? Decided to change the rules a little bit and skip the actual box/exchange since some friends of mine did it a few years back and got 3 out of their 4 boxes stolen. Going to do a Picture Tag combo so people can just pop a picture next to a predetermined landmark instead.

Does anyone have any advice? Is this a good way to do it/prevent stolen boxes? :ear
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, no little toys or an old baloney sandwich left behind?
  3. floundermike2010

floundermike2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good campoflauge is the best defense. :evil
  4. mcnut

mcnut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Legal, safe access with parking if appropriate and a weather proof container with regular checks and maintenance.

Bruce
  5. DevildogLt

DevildogLt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have found 1294 caches in 30 countries as well as hidden over 35 in 6 countries. Dont hesitate to hide a cache because your friends had theirs "muggled." (stolen) that could be just that they didnt have a good hide and it was easily seen thus taken.

I recommend that you hide a rubbermade or something like that but first and foremost make sure it is waterproof. Then put a ziplock back in for a good logbook and then put the weird stuff you got lying around the house... extra key chains etc. put good camo on it and have fun.

But if you want to go your route, and not hide an actual box. I know of people that required the finder to stand at a certain spot and make a specific yoga pose and have to get a pic and post up. just an example...

Good luck and Semper Caching!
  6. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    I've only done a bit of geocaching (60-ish caches + 2 hides) but I find the photo caches unrewarding. There's a sense of completion and accomplishment you get with a physical find.

I'd suggest you camouflage the geocache box itself by putting it inside an external container that fits in with the surroundings. Also, putting it in a low-traffic area will achieve the end of giving somewhere interesting to go while also minimizing the chances of it being destroyed.

There are several geocaching sites online but geocaching.com seems to have the best set of features, support for smartphones and largest population.

The one thing I haven't found yet is a site that allows traveling caches. If you hear of one, please let me know.

Have fun with it!

Daniel
  7. HHH356

HHH356 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been caching for a few years off and on with some friends and will agree with the others that actually finding something is better than nothing. I have allways felt the harder it is to find the less likely it is to be stolen by some tewl out there. Then again making it too hard is just a pain. They are allways fun to do and my caching crew prefers the ones that are in the middle of nowhere rather that the city. Enjoy
  8. SilverSpringsKLR

SilverSpringsKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the geocaches that are out in the middle of nowhere. For me, most of the fun is going someplace that I have never gone. Once you get to the spot some challenge in the find is good too, but don't want to spend hours at the spot looking.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    As stated earlier, trinkets are good too. I just need to remember to take something with me.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Ammo boxes are popular as well as tupperware. Be sure to include a note pad for people to log.<o:p></o:p>
  9. Zapkat

Zapkat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't cached in a while, but did enjoy it very much. I've been thinking about starting up again once the good weather hits. We actually found one in Carcross, Yukon Territory on a day trip during our Alaska cruise a couple of years ago.

We haven't set many out, but did have our Travelbug vanish somewhere. It happens. Just don't put out anything expensive, or that you'd be upset to lose, and you should be ok. You can use nearly anything, depending on the size of your cache and whether or not you want to leave a log book - film canisters, plastic jars, ammo cans. Wrap them in camo duct tape to help keep them hidden.

Have fun with it!
  10. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for a photo only there is a "virtual cache" that is only a picture at the location. Similar to the tag games.
  11. Dualthing

Dualthing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Dualthing

Dualthing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Found three for the day, total at 241 so far

[​IMG]