Who's got the Caponord Tubeless Rim setup for their Adventure?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by scibeer, May 18, 2009.

1. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    Great reply. Thanks for the details.
  2. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:

I've been running 16/45 which I put on for low-gear dirt with the big wheels mostly, and it's a kick in the pants with the 19/17 street rims! W00T! Wheelie... It does rev a little higher (duh) but no problems for touring IMO. I just got in from a 3000 mi. trip, no complaints, and no mercy on the throttle either. :deal
  3. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    I've got a 19/17 set on my Adv, running 17/45 and still wish for lower gearing. Gonna put a 16 on the front next. Sixth gear is still like an overdrive gear.
  4. LoFlow

LoFlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too use the 16/45 combo. Since it's a tall heavy bike I like the low first gear for taking off on hills or uneven terrain. And for me it makes third gear perfect for the type of dirt roads I spend most of my time on.

Top gear speed is not a drawback for me because I rarely cruise over 75 mph for extended periods of time. If I do then I can install the 17 tooth if I need too. But lately I've taken the lazy route and left the 16/45 as my standard gearing.
  5. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What everything would you need and how much will it cost to have a pair of Caponords that you can just change on under(rims, hubs, rotors, rear sprocket..)? I'm in Europe, so with taxes and customs and everything for ordering from stateside might as well buy another R with different tyres on it. It would be great to have a true tubeless setup for my R with road tires.

sidestand's S looks like the cats balls, I would imagine my R would be something similar with just the black instead of the blue :D

I saw a Caponord front rim on eBay for like 175 pounds from a used bike, though it was a silver one, so should I bother hunting down a pair from a crashed bike? I mean don't see them too often at least around here.
  6. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    regarding gearing...stock is 17/ 42 most everyone automatically installs either 17/45 or 16/42 with their 21/18s,,

for the 19/17 the oem 17/42 is fine ie gives same performance as 21/18....

however,,for more spirited riding you all are on track with 16/45,, a good time /spirited/snappy performance upgrade/experience

regarding good aftermarket sprockets ,,our customers have been very satisfied with the Stealth-Supersprox units @$87 and you have a 38-52T to choose from...bling AND nice technology

quote:
    mousitsas ..[.also are the capo rims significantly heavier than the excels? ]

not significantly after you add the tube and.or sealing technique,,could get you exact numbers if it's important..holler

mousitsas <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_14655335", true); </script>

<!-- message --> [Since nobody asked it, can the caponord rims be laced to the standard hubs with the caponord spokes, or do we need special spokes???]

sorry neither the spokes NOR hub worked out,,,FYI,,,i have proprietary rights to the spoke set-ups,:cry,after all i spent a ton of time figuring how to not only adapt these rims to KTM hubs ,,but also improve on the original wheels,,, when it comes time to build and true them...things aren't always as easy as the seem.

soo,,we proto-typed the wheels using the oem hubs ,,YES they have worked and no failures ,,but knowing my clientele,,i opted for a fail-safe version of the oem hubs and had em made in billet to my much beefier in critical areas specs....

with the recent price spikes,,, you are now faced with the difficult decision: ''do i spend $498 for a complete oem set up OR $499 for the complete made in usa billet assy sporting any color you would like???'' :wink:

quote:
    Peanuts <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_11438071", true); </script>

[<!-- message --> Anyone fitted a complete Caponord front wheel? Disc diameter is same......]

save your time ,,that was the first thing we tried:cry

well hope that gets most of the questions out of the way...you can pm/e-mail me or ask more questions in the vendor threads on this subject :
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284243

and the whole 19/17 set-up in general...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439443

wish i had a dollar for every attaboy i get doing this conversion in it's many versions....
    w
  7. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    :evil
    :clap

I took off the stock wheels today and moved the hardware to Woody's wheels.

Here's the front...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the rear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one final addition for today. :D

[​IMG]
  8. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer:
    Loverly!!!
  9. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    Hi,I'm not a owner of the 990ADV... but there's no ABS ring/system involved in this particular model right? Was wondering (if there is that ABS thingy) how the KTM handles from downsizing the front from a 21" to a 19" rim...I'm ordering the same setup for my 800GS, and worried about the front rim size causing a problem with the ABS system. OEM is 21". the Caponord is 19".
  10. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    From what i've gathered over the internet, the 2009 Adventure model has the ABS feature. But not the Adventure R model.

If so, anyone who has the standard 990 Adv model with ABS tried fitting the abs rings from the 21"-18" to the Caponord's 19"-17"?

Any problems with the ABS system after installing the Caponord's Rims?
  11. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI,,,as far as i know,,and this has been backed up by the feedback from past convertees,,,it hasn't affected the ABS,,

your speedometer/odometer will read a bit different,,,in some cases believe it or not taking the erroneous reading experienced with the 21'' wheel and being on the money with the 19[ktm 950/990 s if i remember correctly??]

on my r1200gs BWOE,,i've gone down to 17 front and up to 21'' from the stock 19''er and 150/70x17 rear to 14/080x18 ,,,,ABS still works:clap

so fret not!!!

woody
  12. Subutai

Subutai Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The standard model has ABS, the R model doesn't.

When you turn the power on from the ignition lock and the dash does the self test thing, it has a number reading on it. This is the length of the trail of the front tire, one full turn. You can adjust this so the odo will record correctly. I am not sure if this has any effect on the speed reading though.

I do not remember if the Adventure does this when you turn the key, and currently am not able to check. A Super Duke does. They have the exact same dash panel, so this would indicate that the functionality is the same.
  13. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    The Adventure does have a way to tell the computer what the front wheel size is. Of course, the standard setting for wheel size is 21" (WS 21) by default. To tell the computer differently, follow these instructions:

Step one: Mode = Trip F
    Step two: Hold Mode and Set buttons until WS21 displays on screen (~ 10 sec).
    Step three: hit "mode" until "19" shows
    Step four: Hit "set"
  14. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This may be the way of changing it on the older models but it's not the same for the newer models. If anyone has worked that out yet I'm keen to learn.

Grant.
  15. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This procedure doesn't work on a 990R. Anyone know if there's a way to set the wheel size on a 2010 990R? :dunno
  16. R Doug

R Doug Recalculating

Oddometer:
    Darn, sorry to hear that. I can confirm the procedure does work on my 2008. I know your 2010 has the same console as my old Super Duke.
  17. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked at many places on the net and I didn't found nothing about that procedure for the 990R. It bothers me a bit, when I ride with the 19/17 combo, the speedo is a good 10 km/h more (depending on the speed). So it make more km on the odometer. While traveling, it bothers me a lot. It's harder to calculate when I need to refuel.
  18. -GUV-

-GUV- Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You got some pictures of it with the 19/17 on it that you can put up?

Grant.
  19. factory

factory Adventurer

Oddometer:
    990R dash is the same as the 690, you need to cut a wire to the back of the dash that locks the wheel size. You can then adjust wheel size using the mode and set buttons. I did it on my 690 and worked well.

These are the notes I kept, this is the procedure once you have cut the wire:

*Turn key to "on" and with the meter set to "Trip 1", press and hold "Mode" for 10 sec.
    Length xxxx (the 17" circumference) will show up (flashing), press "mode" to increase and "set" to decrease the circumference.
    The correct setting for 21" should be 2205.
    *Press "mode" and "set" simultanously to set it.

You will need to search the big 690 thread the find which wire to cut, I recall there are pics.
  20. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info, I'll look for that in the 690 threads. That's the firts time i had good info about that, great!!!